Cali wildfire

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw where Jerry Brown actuallynagreesnwith Trump and is changing the logging regulations to get rid of some of the dead and dry trees and underbrush.

Personally, I have lots of fire hazardous brush and trees. I just can't clean it alone. Plus, my property adjoins the Corps of Engineer land. They came this Summer and said "nope. Can't cut any trees no matter how gross, invasive, etc". They did say I could cut privit because its such a pain and everyone hates it.

I get tax breaks and lower insurance premiums by trimming up my trees, the forest service appreciates us that trim up the trees and clear the ground on USFS land that borders our property, we are only doing for fire suppression nothing more. The one thing you don’t want is the fire spreading from top to top of the trees, once it gets to the top of the tree the home owner can’t fight the fire, always create a fire break that borders other properties.

I get tax breaks and lower insurance premiums by trimming up my trees, the forest service appreciates us that trim up the trees and clear the ground on USFS land that borders our property, we are only doing for fire suppression nothing more. The one thing you don’t want is the fire spreading from top to top of the trees, once it gets to the top of the tree the home owner can’t fight the fire, always create a fire break that borders other properties.

I am definitely lax in that dept. I don't even have a back yard. It's all trees, right up to the house.

Fire has always been the one element I could not prevent. I designed my future 'Home / Retreat / BOL" to be a defensive compound but fire is a major concern. Designed a roof top sprinkler system, steel roof, stucco exterior and no trees / crass / underbrush within 100 yards. Still not feeling warm and fuzzy regarding fires. At my current location, I have devised several exit points in case of fire. Arizona is one of the safest states in regard to natural disasters but every state is threatened by fires. There are limits to what a home owner can deal with in regards to fire. The posted pictures do indicate the a ground level (grass) fire moved to the buildings. I like the idea of rock landscaping, no burnable features. Less maintenance for rocks. :D

Fire has always been the one element I could not prevent. I designed my future 'Home / Retreat / BOL" to be a defensive compound but fire is a major concern. Designed a roof top sprinkler system, steel roof, stucco exterior and no trees / crass / underbrush within 100 yards. Still not feeling warm and fuzzy regarding fires. At my current location, I have devised several exit points in case of fire. Arizona is one of the safest states in regard to natural disasters but every state is threatened by fires. There are limits to what a home owner can deal with in regards to fire. The posted pictures do indicate the a ground level (grass) fire moved to the buildings. I like the idea of rock landscaping, no burnable features. Less maintenance for rocks. :D

I have pea gravel used in my landscaping. Probably not enough to help much, but it completely surrounds the house. Right now it's all covered with about 3 inches of leaves. That will make a good fire starter.

I have pea gravel used in my landscaping. Probably not enough to help much, but it completely surrounds the house. Right now it's all covered with about 3 inches of leaves. That will make a good fire starter.

The layer of leaves would be a problem in a fire situation. Cold wet season, not so much.

I don't have any personal experience with wildfires so it's really hard for me to fathom the terror and destruction the people there are experiencing. It is sad that so many have lost everything. But reading the stories makes me wonder how one would even begin to prepare for a situation like that. . . fire literally destroys anything in its path.

I don't have any personal experience with wildfires so it's really hard for me to fathom the terror and destruction the people there are experiencing. It is sad that so many have lost everything. But reading the stories makes me wonder how one would even begin to prepare for a situation like that. . . fire literally destroys anything in its path.

We are set up pretty good for fighting them as long as the wells keep pumping and smoke doesn't over take us, we do have oxygen tanks but that's reserved for fighting our way out as we leave. Creating a fire break around the property, trimming up trees, keeping the ground clear of fuel is the number one defense. All three of what is listed count as one, only doing one of the three severely limits the fire defenses and does very little in slowing the fire down.

@Maverick You really appear to have a good handle on the fire situation. There are no perfect plans against a raging fire. Suggestion, make sure you have a backup for the well pump. Read an article where a rancher in the Australian outback had a great plan to fight fires at his homestead, until his pump failed during a real fire situation. I think the motor overheated due to continuous operation and the high ambient temperatures. Best laid plans of mice and preppers. I do think many here can learn from your setup.

@Maverick You really appear to have a good handle on the fire situation. There are no perfect plans against a raging fire. Suggestion, make sure you have a backup for the well pump. Read an article where a rancher in the Australian outback had a great plan to fight fires at his homestead, until his pump failed during a real fire situation. I think the motor overheated due to continuous operation and the high ambient temperatures. Best laid plans of mice and preppers. I do think many here can learn from your setup.

We have diesel generators on the pumps and backup propane generators, I have heavies up here, without the equipment it would be almost impossible to do what we done, I get scared every fire season, we've had fires that jumped our 50' fire break, we learn something every season and find our weakness's.

@Maverick The fact that your place is still standing after several encounters with fire situations, shows you are doing something right. You can never rest easy when it comes to dealing with fire.

The utilities convinced the state (politicians) they would go bankrupt and the state would go dark, if they were forced to pay off all the damages. Can anybody say, contributions? Now I think the law passed but I am not positive. Please note you are not seeing any stories about the pending collapse of any Utilities because of the fires and damages.

Generators, Coors and canned food. How these ‘mountain boys’ are surviving in Paradise

"who have defied evacuation orders and are surviving on meat stored in their generator-powered freezers, bagged lunches dropped off by PG&E crews and supplies provided by a mysterious band of volunteers that Weldon calls “the redneck underground.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221980400.html

Mav, thanks for th line. It is a very good read and helps remind us why we prep ad what prepping can do for us.

Latest posts

Back