Beginning of Food Crisis in First World Countries?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a small college (<1200) with a small campus. We would walk from the dorms to the big building across the commons. Your eyes would start watering and by the time you got to the building, they were frozen shut. It was maybe a 1400 foot walk.

I exchanged that for a place where in July you step outside and before you are there for 20 minutes, sweat drips down your legs and soaks your socks!
I don't like heat and humidity. Usually we get about 3 or 4 weeks of over 90 degs in July and August, but our humidity is around 10-12%.

I don't like heat and humidity. Usually we get about 3 or 4 weeks of over 90 degs in July and August, but our humidity is around 10-12%.

I lived in S. Florida for a while and it was hot and humid, but, you always had a nice breeze coming off the ocean or across the peninsula. Then I moved here. We get a little breeze in the morning and again in the evening in the summer. I call it the exchange. When the hot air from down in the valley rises out or the cool air from the valley gets replaced by the warm air up top.

Other than that, you are stuck with sticky. Pun intended.

A funny thing happened a couple of years ago when we had that bad storm here with the power outages, below zero temps, snow and ice. I am usually quite cold at about 40 degrees even with a jacket. I don't do well with cold. By the end of the week and for the next two years after, I didn't do well with heat. My body suddenly "remembered" what cold actually was. I've been in the south now for 25 years and rarely go anywhere with real cold. My body just forgot.

I lived in S. Florida for a while and it was hot and humid, but, you always had a nice breeze coming off the ocean or across the peninsula. Then I moved here. We get a little breeze in the morning and again in the evening in the summer. I call it the exchange. When the hot air from down in the valley rises out or the cool air from the valley gets replaced by the warm air up top.

Other than that, you are stuck with sticky. Pun intended.

A funny thing happened a couple of years ago when we had that bad storm here with the power outages, below zero temps, snow and ice. I am usually quite cold at about 40 degrees even with a jacket. I don't do well with cold. By the end of the week and for the next two years after, I didn't do well with heat. My body suddenly "remembered" what cold actually was. I've been in the south now for 25 years and rarely go anywhere with real cold. My body just forgot.
I understand that about conditioning to the climate. In late October I was finishing up planting alfalfa. It was hot and dusty, haven't had rain for months. The day I finished planting it rained, then the rain turned to snow, and we've had snow ever since. At first the cold bothered me, but now zero temps are no big deal, unless the wind is blowing. I'm not ready for summer yet, but I do hope we get a January thaw this year.

I need to get some chains on my tires this year. They are pretty uncommon here and last winter it was warm.

I have crampons from when we lived in other places and people around here never know what they are. When I was going through chemo, I'd tell them it was so I could run faster. The baffled looks gave me a chuckle every time.

Do y'all have any if the ugly crop "rescue" companies there? Here we have several companies that purchase misshapen produce and sells them at a discount.
Yes we have this here. The ones I purchase are packaged and called "Imperfectly Tasty" and I often buy funny shaped veg as it is a lot cheaper.

I have all that covered, thanks for the tips tho. I have more in a single backpack than 99% of the world has in their pantry for survival. I have been teaching survival and preparedness since 1974 and had survival school in Germany for five years. Now I am planning another school in Hungary with the mayor of the local town and the
Boy Scouts/Explorers there next year. As the war gets worse and longer in Ukraine, there are more people getting ready, prepping and wanting to learn more of survival.
I am ex-military and ex-antiterror trainer also. I keep the same scenarios and possibilities up front in my daily plans, shopping and reading here with like minded preppers. We all have the same goals, even with "nerds" as you mentioned. Only, we need those who understand to keep their eyes open and mouth shut sometimes. It is ok to think many things in private, but sometimes also good to keep certain things to yourself to avoid un-needed wasting of precious time discussing things which others would never change their minds or hearts on...learn what you can, keep the peace amongst those you love and live free, Gary
I hope that you and the ones you love have a very happy Christmas. I wish we had folks like you here. The very best, friend.

I wish everyone peacefull and happy x-mas.
Enjoy the time in peace, no matter of what, who or from you are, no matter about your personal believings.
For myself x-mas is an good time to rethink the past of the year, finding some pleasure and calm a bit in peace of those days.
Stay all warm and safe as you can.

Nothin but cool and dry here in summer and toasty and warm in winter.......ha ha ha.

I usually just go somewhere else when I'm tired of it. I always tell everyone I'm gonna leave for good if I ever have enough gas money. Nah, it's not the gas money, I love the people here. They are so cool I don't notice anything else most of the time. I guess it is never about the surroundings. It's the people. That's why I get on hear to talk to y'all when I want refreshments away from mainstream. Y'all help give me hope for society. Y'all have a merry Christmas, and remember, it's not what you do, it's who you did it with. Love Yall

Dutch farmers are possibly facing compulsory purchase orders. Yikes! Farms that have been handed down through several generations may be forcibly taken. Any folks in the USA heard about this? I saw it was covered by Australian media but it has been silent here in UK. Gotta get digging to find out what is going on.
So preppers with farms and land ... have you given any consideration to what you might do if they CPO your house/ranch/farm/land/ the like?
I think but am not sure that in the UK parliament passed legislation under the emergency coof laws that homes can be bulldozed. They only need to 'believe' that there is a threat of contagion to act. Rest assured lockdowns will return given time and we might see some of this implemented eventually.
Obviously any land or homes can be taken under war conditions - they already did it here during WW2. Many stately homes were used as barracks and some land was used as landing strips and other stuff like that.
This is what we call 'hedging the bets.' We may get a brand new health crisis and they may push under this guise, maybe climate stuff, or we have WW3 gently simmering and ready to go live if certain desires do not go the way intended.
No matter the play I doubt anyone is going to be left alone on this one.
You may live in a really remote place. You may have all that you need. You may be 100% fine today. But what happens if you are not allowed to keep any of it?
Do you even have a plan B?
Do you know there are some people who have never experienced a full-on, life changing event. Some people have never had their entire life turned upside down. Some people have never lost anything, besides loved ones to death and all that natural stuff. Some folks could not even live through 2020 it was too much and they made their own choice about it all.
From experience, it takes a certain kind of silent, strong, resolve to keep on going when everything you ever worked for is lost. When there is no one to talk to about it. When there is no one to help in any way. When you just have to leave and never return. I would not wish this on my own worst enemy. I have worn these boots and I have walked these miles.
So, without telling the world, have you even considered a plan B?

There were entire villages taken over by the military in WW2 in UK, the inhabitants made to vacate "for the war effort" and they never got their homes back, so its not like it hasnt happened before but most people dont study their own history so dont know.
100% pure fact.
You ever heard the saying that ignorance is bliss? If that were true then many should be ecstatic, now, right? lol Do the folks near you seem happy? Do you think they are sensing it yet - the oncoming metaphorical storm, I mean?
Complacence kills. Ignorance kills. There are so many people out there that just don't see it coming. What a mess.

most people dont have a clue, they just go day to day completely ignorant of the bigger picture.
its now the new year and they will all be planning their foreign summer holiday, possibly more than one.
even Ukraine isnt on everyone's minds, they see it on the tv news, tut tut it, then 5 minutes later have forgotten all about it, same with anything else, most people have a 5 minute attention span and I'm not joking.

most people dont have a clue, they just go day to day completely ignorant of the bigger picture.
its now the new year and they will all be planning their foreign summer holiday, possibly more than one.
even Ukraine isnt on everyone's minds, they see it on the tv news, tut tut it, then 5 minutes later have forgotten all about it, same with anything else, most people have a 5 minute attention span and I'm not joking.
I call them the 'microwave mind' generation - if it has not happened in two minutes then they gloss straight over it all. They are unreachable, even though their lives depend upon it. Man, it is so very hard watching good folks who work their butt off and have young kids who have no clue about what is coming.
As you may be able to tell, I have a real hard time with seeing this.
I used to have a lifestyle that some folks would have wished for themselves. I have very little now. I DO NOT begrudge anyone a single one of their comforts (been there, done that) - I genuinely worry about what happens when they start to lose though. When their comfort gets stripped away. When their boss decides to downsize ... I won't go on. You are a smart man. I think you know what I am saying.
I am not worried about looting and stuff, although that will eventually happen (depending on timescale and what the desirable outcomes are), I'm thinking about the good people who worked and saved and got pensions and did everything they were 'supposed to' and what happens when they find out they were all of them played. I think I saw a thread here (need to go look) about suicides being normalised. Yeah, that is what is on my mind. That is what worried me, especially because there are little ones who may be caught up in it all.
Some people have never lost it all. I worry that they do not have the internal 'strength' to cope.

Yup, sorry. Wanted to comment but my crackling pork needed my tlc. I wish we had a 'delete comment' facility here.
Yeah, the police ... erm ... most here joined up decades ago when things were somewhat normal and wanted to help their communities. Many have already left because things have changed because of home office rules and the change is of course for the better, right? Why else would they have left? It is very hard to type in fluent facetiousness, you know.
Others are new and have shiny, new degrees and they stand by all of this stuff. They are just following orders and we all know how well that tends to work out in the long run.
Lots of people like to eat every day and don't care either way until things affect them personally. That's when things may get interesting. Many will put their heads in the sand until they see mil. on the streets and that may be far too late. Most are resistant to even the most bland and cordial conversations and may well be in for a rude awakening. Many will just go with the flow like a dead fish.
The time will be interesting but they will not be good, imo.

Latest posts

Back