What's new where you live?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you got sick GeorgiaPeachie.

Go with what Schpier is telling you. I've worked in the medical field for 30 years, and am good at spotting bullshit artists, and Schpier comes across as genuine.

The only thing I would add is to check with your doctor and see if he or she wants you to stand and walk around a little while you're sick.

People with certian illnesses who just lay in bed sometimes develop other problems like pneumonia and blood clots, and getting up and walking around every once in a while helps this.

If anyone disagrees with this, then please call me on it (I'm not being sarcastic).

If I can provide moral support in any way, please let me know.

Added later: If you're taking Tylenol, make sure you stay away from alcohol. People sometimes (in certian cultural traditions) will drink whiskey or brandy when they're ill, and alcohol can also be found in certian kinds of cough syrup. Drinking alcohol and doing Tylenol at the same time can very, very bad for you under certian circumstances. Alcohol can also contribute to dehydration, which is something that any sick person doesn't want.

Last edited:
The only problem with that is ; we don’t know for sure whether the antibodies confer long-standing immunity to the virus. For example, presence of antibodies to a seasonal flu virus does not imply that the person will be immune to flu. The strain of virus changes almost every year. Virologists routinely develop new vaccines in order to deal with different viral strains.
True.
But we should expect some short term immunity, or at least hope for some short term immunity or we are in BIG TROUBLE!

I didn't know that you and your wife were ill. I'm glad you seem to have weathered the worst of it.

I wasn't sure what I had for a long time, so I held off saying anything about it until I knew more. The more I read about people's experiences, the more convinced I was that I had COVID-19.

It was really the first week that was the clincher. Dry cough with fever and fatigue, then two days of feeling completely well before it hit my lungs. My wife also got "well" before getting worse, but her symptoms were more flu-like than mine, and she recovered in about the right time frame for the flu. We were on a trip when she came down with it, and I was couped up with her for eight hours in the car while she was coughing. I got a really heavy viral load initially. We drove back on Monday and I was sick on Tuesday, and felt like I was over it on Sunday. Then Monday night in the middle of the night it hit my lungs.

The odd thing is that I never got the typical achy flu feeling. It never "felt" like the flu. But my wife did get the normal flu aches.

I wasn't sure what I had for a long time, so I held off saying anything about it until I knew more. The more I read about people's experiences, the more convinced I was that I had COVID-19.

It was really the first week that was the clincher. Dry cough with fever and fatigue, then two days of feeling completely well before it hit my lungs. My wife also got "well" before getting worse, but her symptoms were more flu-like than mine, and she recovered in about the right time frame for the flu. We were on a trip when she came down with it, and I was couped up with her for eight hours in the car while she was coughing. I got a really heavy viral load initially. We drove back on Monday and I was sick on Tuesday, and felt like I was over it on Sunday. Then Monday night in the middle of the night it hit my lungs.

The odd thing is that I never got the typical achy flu feeling. It never "felt" like the flu. But my wife did get the normal flu aches.
I'm glad you're feeling better now. At least you (probably) don't have to look forward to getting it again.

Take it easy, listen to your doctor, get rest and lots of fluids.

I think the antibodies would be good for at least the first year. Yes viruses can and do change but odds are you’re covered for at least one season once you caught it. There’s no doubt everyone is still learning about this bug, but until we have more data all we can do is compare it to similar viruses.

I still have a big question about COVID-19 that I can't get an answer for . . . maybe Schpier can weigh in?

Any number of viruses can cause problems later in life after the person recovers.

Genetal warts can cause cervical (and, possibly, oral) cancer, Hepatitis B and C can cause liver cancer later in life, influenza can contribute to Parkinson's disease later in life, mumps can (supposedly, but is disputed by some experts) cause sterility. Measles can wipe out your immunity to illnesses that you caught in the past, so you have to redo all your vaccinations again.

Will there be a second epidemic--among COVID-19 survivors--of neurological problems or some exotic cancer down the road?

To answer this question, do other corona viruses (that may be related to COVID-19) do anything like this?

I still have a big question about COVID-19 that I can't get an answer for . . . maybe Schpier can weigh in?

Any number of viruses can cause problems later in life after the person recovers.

Genetal warts can cause cervical (and, possibly, oral) cancer, Hepatitis B and C can cause liver cancer later in life, influenza can contribute to Parkinson's disease later in life, mumps can (supposedly, but is disputed by some experts) cause sterility. Measles can wipe out your immunity to illnesses that you caught in the past, so you have to redo all your vaccinations again.

Will there be a second epidemic--among COVID-19 survivors--of neurological problems or some exotic cancer down the road?

To answer this question, do other corona viruses (that may be related to COVID-19) do anything like this?
I just read two articles about memory and cognitive issues from this virus. Only time will tell I guess. Just keep in mind that most will get through this with mild symptoms and no residual effects.

So sorry to hear your sick Georgia. Keep aware of your breathing above all else. If it gets much worse don’t hesitate to call the ER. Not being too personal but is your husband feeling ok?

Thank you for the advice. My breathing is my main concern. It doesn’t feel right and hurts a bit. My hubby has been dry coughing for over a week. He says it’s only allergies, but I’m not so sure. I’m keeping distance from him anyway just in case he does not have it and it turns out I do.

Thank you for the advice. My breathing is my main concern. It doesn’t feel right and hurts a bit. My hubby has been dry coughing for over a week. He says it’s only allergies, but I’m not so sure. I’m keeping distance from him anyway just in case he does not have it and it turns out I do.
Well I am sorry to say if one has it most likely the other would too, but understand wanting to keep your distance just in case the other is spared. Is there another location the other can go to isolate? Kids are still in the cabin right? Hoping for the best for all of you!

Sorry you're sick! If you don't have the drugs you mentioned (which I honestly wouldn't recommend taking without a doctor's supervision, because they can have serious side effects) then take zinc supplements (don't overdose!) along with plenty of vitamin C. The zinc may not be as effective alone but has been shown to be effective in helping fight sickness, and vitamin C is good for the immune system (and is actually being used for COVID-19 patients).
Most likely with these supportive measures you will get better soon, whether you have COVID-19 or the flu. If you start having trouble breathing or hyperventilating then go to the ER.

Hi Kate! So glad to see you on here. I don’t have those drugs. But, I’ve started taking 1000mg of vitamin C twice a day and ionic zinc twice a day too. Started yesterday.

Well I am sorry to say if one has it most likely the other would too, but understand wanting to keep your distance just in case the other is spared. Is there another location the other can go to isolate? Kids are still in the cabin right? Hoping for the best for all of you!

We have a guesthouse I’m using. I think it was DD that has her kids in the cabin. Thanks DanilGrl!

I agree the spouse will likely catch it too but by trying to be cautious you may be able to stagger the infection so that someone is strong enough to help the other instead of both being down at once.

My smell and taste are gone also. Food feels like lumpy stuff in my mouth. :(
I don’t think it’s a matter of if anymore for you having it... sorry, and I really hope you’re among the 80% with mild symptoms.
Rest, control the symptoms, stay hydrated, walk some every day, vitamins are a good idea too.

Latest posts

Back