What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found 1 small flaw in the 1st pic danil..there's a ford in it..lol..looks like that yall have a great dog there..

Yep. . . that is Big Blue. He is what we use to pull the big 24ft trailer and also the RV. The pup is my rescue dog Buddy, pit/lab mix. He was found living under the red barn when he was just a few weeks old a couple years ago. His back left leg grew slightly shorter than his right and he was born with his hips slightly unaligned. Maybe that is why his mother abandoned him. I was out gathering acorns for the pigs when I spotted him. Poor baby was covered in ant bites and was sick with Parvo. We weren't sure if he was going to make it or not.

Looks like a good cr0p ofcucumbersthis year
Garden 2015 012.JPG

and tomatoes. . .
Garden 2015 009.JPG

Strawberries are slowly spreading. . . and I am having to fight the birds right now
Garden 2015 013.JPG

Apples ready to pick. . . these are the small cooking variety. Special for a hot humid climate
Garden 2015 017.JPG

Looks like a good cr0p ofcucumbersthis year
View attachment 4314

and tomatoes. . .
View attachment 4315

Strawberries are slowly spreading. . . and I am having to fight the birds right now
View attachment 4316

Apples ready to pick. . . these are the small cooking variety. Special for a hot humid climate
View attachment 4317
Looks like everything is comming along great! Do you trellis your cucumbers? I've always let mine grow on the ground, but I really don't have a clue what works best. Each year I get better, but am learning most things the hard way. I'm so close to a ripe tomatoe I can't stand it! :)

I use the welded wire that is going around the garden staked in with T Post. I find keeping them off the ground is better for them and easier to find and pick for me

I have even trellised my Cantaloupe when I had a much smaller garden which worked out great.

I'll have to trellis my cucumbers this year,that looks amazing :D

"right now I'm very green of envy" green like your plants ;)

I'll have to trellis my cucumbers this year,that looks amazing :D

"right now I'm very green of envy" green like your plants ;)
I guess we should be greatfull for our longer season here in Ga. I'll try the Cukes on the fencing next year.

so far it looks good here,sunny,warm,as soon as the soil is warm enough,I'll do some serious planting

Well the weeding is a daily chore and I do mean chore, but I like to stay on top of it as much as I can cause I know it can get out of hand quickly. Once I start in with pressure canning, my time really gets limited with the weeding thing so we will see how long it last :)

Today for the garden was of coarse the weeding part. . . rained most all of this week with tropical storm Bill so it was really a chore since it's really been my first day out. Ended up collecting dill, coriander, and beets seeds for next year. Pulled up some bush beans after harvesting to get ready for second planting and also dug up my potatoes. Not much of a harvest. . . figured as much though with all the rain we have had the ground stayed saturated and most either rotted or small. Thank goodness I still have some canned up from last year.

Today for the garden was of coarse the weeding part. . . rained most all of this week with tropical storm Bill so it was really a chore since it's really been my first day out. Ended up collecting dill, coriander, and beets seeds for next year. Pulled up some bush beans after harvesting to get ready for second planting and also dug up my potatoes. Not much of a harvest. . . figured as much though with all the rain we have had the ground stayed saturated and most either rotted or small. Thank goodness I still have some canned up from last year.
I've got six days off starting Tuesday and weeding is one of the leading things on my list. My potatoes have died down, so I'm looking forwards to digging them up and seeing how many I got. This was the first real potatoe patch I've done. I picked and canned about the last of the peas, so plan to till under the last of them and the kale to make room for something else. Any ideas on what to plant mid summer? I am starting to see some tomatoes starting to turn color, yeah!!! I haven't had a good tomatoe since last year. Sometimes I think the farmers market might be cheaper, espechially when you consider labor, but I really do enjoy this. Slightly massicisitic?

Green beans are a great all around here and so are any of the crowder pea type. I planted something called Texas Pinkeye which are doing wonderful. Okra, any type pepper, you got a few options. Since I dug potatoes yesterday, I replace them with 4 more raised bed rows of Contender green beans. Then I planted 3 butternut squash and 3 spaghetti squash to replace the green beans that I picked the last of yesterday evening. Got to pick my first Cantaloupe this morning and have it chillin in the fridge. . . I know hunny will want it when he comes in tonight.

well what i planted in pots is coming along well.1st is caylenne.. 2nd is jalapeno....3rd is habanero... 4th is tomato...

View attachment 4425 View attachment 4426 View attachment 4427 View attachment 4428
I like the concrete pots. So far I've got one terra cotta pot, but plan to get a few more before long. I just planted some spinache in it. I chose terracotta so I could make a zeer pot out of it with a stainless steel pot and lid for referigeration. I figure I can grow stuff, and if the grid goes down I can trade them to others as mini fridges..

I like the concrete pots as well..but them jokers sure does have some serious weight to them.then add soil.not a pretty sight..lol

Latest posts

Back