What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to town yesterday to see if I could find some strawberry plants. The grocery store usually has some this time of year but they were out. They did have some tomato plants, but it's still too early to plant tomatoes. Next week I'll make the 250 mile round trip to a nursery and get some more raspberry, grape and blackberry plants as well as strawberry plants.

well I planted white ,red and yellow onions,,,I may never plant the reds again only 15 are growing out of around 75,the white are doing ok but the yellow planted last weekend all 80 are above ground and looking good,,,,next year I may plant nothing but the yellow
This whole thing is about learning about what works in your area. Trial and error is the best teacher.

This whole thing is about learning about what works in your area. Trial and error is the best teacher.

When I was at the allotment yetserday I noticed the onions were looking a bit odd. I had a Googley and they are infested with onion leaf miners. There's no treatment so today I will have to rip them all out and destroy them.:(
Having done a bit of research, next year I will plant later to miss the time when the adults are active.

I'm so far behind in weeding I'll never get caught up! If I could can and eat them I'd be set thru two winters..... I'm doing two rows this morning before anything else, but that's just scratching the surface.

When I was at the allotment yetserday I noticed the onions were looking a bit odd. I had a Googley and they are infested with onion leaf miners. There's no treatment so today I will have to rip them all out and destroy them.:(
Having done a bit of research, next year I will plant later to miss the time when the adults are active.
So, even seven dust dosent help? I try not to use chemicals, but will occasionally when I see something out of the ordinary. I used it in the greenhouse a few weeks back on an ant mound, and with one treatment, no more ant mound.

So, even seven dust dosent help? I try not to use chemicals, but will occasionally when I see something out of the ordinary. I used it in the greenhouse a few weeks back on an ant mound, and with one treatment, no more ant mound.

Nope, by the time you see the symptoms it's too late and there's no preventative measure exept to cover the onions in fine mesh until the danger period of infestation has passed. The female lays eggs in the leaf and the larvae eat their way to the forming bulb. Some of them have rotted already. I'm going to do more research and see how the farmers protect against this pest.

Sally, please share your findings of getting rid of if you find anything. The one leaf miner is a relatively new incest for us. Since they live inside the leaf they are protected from dust and sprays, so very difficult to kill. Only thing that works that I have read is the covers for prevention. Our leaf miners normally just makes our plants look bad except when they get by the fruit, but this other guy bores to the bulbs causing them to rot & not just onions, all the family. UKs first case was 2002 & spread rapidly. . . now looks like it had a boat ride to the US so get ready guys.

Apparently it has made it's way to the UK from the EU, Germany more specifically. I'd never heard of it before yesterday and it has competely destroyed my onion crop. A whole year's worth of onions gone!

From what I have read so far the onion leaf miner has 2 hatchings a year. In march/ april, and then a second one october/november. So if you are going to plant any of the onion family at about that time, so far the only things that work irrefutably is to plant after these times or protect the crop with fine mesh or garden fleece.

I ended up doing 4 hours of weeding in the main garden, And mounding some peanut plants. What really sucks is I'm not half done. I was going to keep going some more but got rained out. At least I don't have to water now. I'm kind of thinking it's just cheaper to buy veggies... (not really, but it's close)

When we put down new carpet in the rent house I took the old made strips out of it and laid down in walkways. If I notice one that starts getting new grow,just drag one carpet strip to put on top of that walkway. That and mulching the beds really helps cut down on weeds. I just take a how about a couple times a week to keep them at bay. It takes about an hour each time but they get less and less. If they don't drop seeds they will not reappear unless it is underground of coarse. We did get some more iold carpet from the side of the road last week that got cut too. Eventually I nay just have enough to do all the walkways.

We just had a big storm with lots of high winds blow thru. Had 1 bed of corn which was about 4 1/2 ft tall get blown over so will need to get those stood back up and hope for the best. The other 5 beds did fine.

When we put down new carpet in the rent house I took the old made strips out of it and laid down in walkways. If I notice one that starts getting new grow,just drag one carpet strip to put on top of that walkway. That and mulching the beds really helps cut down on weeds. I just take a how about a couple times a week to keep them at bay. It takes about an hour each time but they get less and less. If they don't drop seeds they will not reappear unless it is underground of coarse. We did get some more iold carpet from the side of the road last week that got cut too. Eventually I nay just have enough to do all the walkways.

We just had a big storm with lots of high winds blow thru. Had 1 bed of corn which was about 4 1/2 ft tall get blown over so will need to get those stood back up and hope for the best. The other 5 beds did fine.
I know that keeping up with it is key. I was really busy with work, which is good for making money but bad for gardening. I am about to bring in some semi composted mulch, when I get time. I may put some cardboard beneath it too. Well, the upside is I saw many tiny cucumbers today. Also a lot of tomatoes, with a couple just about to start turning red. I also have loads of carrots and onions ready, and the potatoes are almost ready too. The blueberries are so heavy with huge berries this year I'm almost afraid they will break limbs off! Grapes are going wild with all this rain, as well as the blackberries. Peaches and apples got hit with a freeze while in bloom, but will still get a decent crop of apples at least. Even with the upkeep and work, it is still one of the most rewarding things to me to watch all this grow and then get to eat it. I may like to whine a little now and then, but I really do love it.

Finally got one of the raised beds ready to plant strawberries in. I think I'll wait until this evening when it cools down to plant. It's starting to get hot now, may get up to 72 today.
Two of the cherry trees I planted last spring have bloomed and are now getting little cherries. Fortunately we didn't get any high winds this spring to damage the blossoms.
Next week we should be safe from frost to start planting the vegetables. This year we'll just use raised beds. The garden area is freshly cleared and has lots of roots left. Next year I'll have a tiller for the tractor that should chop up the roots.

I don't know what to think here I have 8 tomato plants blooms come and go but so far I have only 2 tomato's on the vine
My first thought would be pollination issuers. Have you seen any bees around them doing what they need to be doing? And second would be how much water are they getting? Tomatoes need plenty for a good production.

My first thought would be pollination issuers. Have you seen any bees around them doing what they need to be doing? And second would be how much water are they getting? Tomatoes need plenty for a good production.

I have never noticed a lack of bees in this area and it has been a wet spring,I am more inclined to think it is something missing from the soil

I have never noticed a lack of bees in this area and it has been a wet spring,I am more inclined to think it is something missing from the soil
If they have good foliage you got enough nitrogen so maybe a lack of phosphorus? Put in a good fertilizer. . a fish bone meal would be a good option for you. They also have a rock phosphate, but I have never used it but it has almost twice the levels.

Grind up eggshells and use 1 teaspoon of epsom salt on each plant. The bone meal Danlgrl mentioned is good too. Tomatoes are greedy plants that need lots of food and water to produce well.

Latest posts

Back