what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the old wives tale that they used to use salt peter in military food to keep down the libido. Pretty sure such tales (and properties of it) are false though.
I've read that it really was used. I don't think it helped at all, but nothing the military has done surprises me. I think it was during the civil war.

I really think a gun or two is a wise investment in today's world. There's just too much crime and violence today, and there certainly aren't enough cops. I don't think I would hurt someone for trying to steal food, but in the middle of the night, if I find someone in my house, I don't think I would spend much effort in finding out why they broke in. Yes the gun is a good idea.
Gun #1 is finally in the house. It's a single shot 20 gauge, which is all I need if I wake up in the middle of the night to someone in my house who doesn't belong here. The friend who loaned it to me is going to try to find me one of my own. I just don't want to have to sign my name on anything the government might see given how things keep going with them wanting to take away our rights.
And the primary reason for me wanting it just walked by my house. I don't think they liked the looks of the 140 lb dog on the porch barking at them either. They picked up their pace a bit.

Gun #1 is finally in the house. It's a single shot 20 gauge, which is all I need if I wake up in the middle of the night to someone in my house who doesn't belong here. The friend who loaned it to me is going to try to find me one of my own. I just don't want to have to sign my name on anything the government might see given how things keep going with them wanting to take away our rights.
And the primary reason for me wanting it just walked by my house. I don't think they liked the looks of the 140 lb dog on the porch barking at them either. They picked up their pace a bit.
There's nothing like a large, loud dog!:) Glad you have something now though. Take it out and shoot it a few times just to see how it handles. I have an old over and under, which is two barrels, with a 30/30 and a 20ga. I put a slug in the 20 ga. And it has a pretty good kick. If you use regular shot it just makes a lot of noise but dosent have much recoil or kick.

There's nothing like a large, loud dog!:) Glad you have something now though. Take it out and shoot it a few times just to see how it handles. I have an old over and under, which is two barrels, with a 30/30 and a 20ga. I put a slug in the 20 ga. And it has a pretty good kick. If you use regular shot it just makes a lot of noise but dosent have much recoil or kick.
Since this gun is borrowed, it will only be used once and that's the night my house is broken into. I only have 5 shells for it - buckshot - that's what Michael gave me for it because he was on his work break and that was the first box he grabbed.
I was surprised to learn that my son's father did teach him how to use and care for guns and even took him hunting years ago. So that's one less prep I have to worry about right now. We're on the search for guns of our own right now.

Well, there isn't a whole lot of maintenance needed with a shotgun. One of the really nice things about it.

Yes it is false, total myth, an old basic training thing, god, ain't heard this in years and years!
Yep, you're right, total myth. Something I've heard about since a kid, but total BS. There are lots of hits on google about it being true, but the overwhelming consensus is not. One good thing on the internet is it's quick and easy to figure out things for yourself.

Yeah, I was just remembering off top of my head, didn't feel the need to qualify it, as I was pretty sure it was bogus, hehe.

I am just starting out as a prepper so my goals are to have a good supply of products to help me in a number of events. I also want to put together the best bug out bag I can for my given situation. I live in a big city so I need to leave and survive in the wild for awhile, therefore my buyout bag will be everything. I need to improve my survival skills as well. I need to learn more about local plants and what I can and can't eat.

There's nothing like a large, loud dog!:) Glad you have something now though. Take it out and shoot it a few times just to see how it handles.
Do you not think that shooting your dog kind of defeats the purpose of getting one? :)

My plans are to just slug away at doing what I'm doing, which is to say removing dependencies on anything or anyone that's not me or my missus. That said it's becoming obvious that my neighbours on each side are on the same page, between us we "control" 75 acres of ridge line with (mostly) very steep approaches so I can see a nice little "redoubt" being formed over time.

therefore my buyout bag will be everything. I need to improve my survival skills as well

The bag is just a collection of tools. Knowing the skills, and how to use those tools, is much more helpful to your survival plan. In addition to your plans, be sure to include getting maps of your surroundings, and identifying:
1. possible places to bug out TO
2. possible loot targets on the way to those locations (and by this, I mean out of the way locations, not your local WalMart, which will become a shooting gallery)
3. most likely to be hazardous locations (so you can avoid them, like the WalMart example above)
4. Tools to both break in and secure a location (to get supplies, and sleep safely).
5. remember the most important thing you need...WATER
6. remember the second most important thing you need...PROTECTION (no, not food, food is ALL around you, every day, even in a city, just may need some palette adjusting)

I guess my prepping goal will be to get a freezer this coming year my fridge freezer is packed full. I am not expecting our neighbor to give us a deer this year like he has over the past 2 years, so that will mean less meat in there however we still have some deer meat left from last year. But he is being a pain this year to everyone in the neighborhood so I don't expect any free meat this year.

I am starting to run out of space in the cabinets now so I need hubby to finish the back porch and close it in completely. I also plan on getting us some new coops up this year they are called hoop coops real easy to make and just a small tarp over one end for them to have shelter from rain and sun in the summer months. Also cheap to make, so I figured it would be easy for me to do, and come time to move them 2 people can do it. I have the nesting boxes ready for them, just need to get the coops made now. We are using old bureau draws for nesting boxes in the new coops once they get done.

I already did last years prep goal which was to add to my chickens so now I have over 30 total. By next spring the new ones will be laying so that means tons of eggs. We also got the storage barn up last year for storing tools, and other things along with chicken feed.

My biggest goal though will be getting a solar powered generator. I am still debating on it.

For freezers, I picked up a good one from Craigslist for $60. I mean, you just can't beat that! It's a standup (about 5' high), with shelves too, so real easy to find things. It has worked flawlessly.

Just in time too, as my secondary fridge just bit it the other day. So, Craigslist, here I come again, lol. (It's good to have a truck, so I can just pick these things up). Most fridges seem to run about $100 - $200, so not a bad bet.

For freezers, I picked up a good one from Craigslist for $60. I mean, you just can't beat that! It's a standup (about 5' high), with shelves too, so real easy to find things. It has worked flawlessly.

Just in time too, as my secondary fridge just bit it the other day. So, Craigslist, here I come again, lol. (It's good to have a truck, so I can just pick these things up). Most fridges seem to run about $100 - $200, so not a bad bet.

Yeaah I am worried about my fridge right now. I have a frost free freezer yet I am seeing frost in it lately makes me wonder if it's going. It wont be good while I have it packed full of bacon and ham if it goes.

in the next year or two...

I'm not sure what my next prepping goal is or would be, I'm pretty content with what I have though I am always looking to reduce load and weight without sacrificing the bottom line and getting new ideas from the prepping community. I guess my goal is to continue to learn.

Haven't tried them yet. Got 2 more yesterday (5 so far now). So, will see how many we end up with for this weekend, then make breakfast!

Latest posts

Back