what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for hijacking, Brent. Last night I had a talk with my son about why I prep. Since he's been unemployed all this time but the cupboard has never been bare, he's starting to see the light. I have a very modest retirement income but I've managed to support us both through this and have extra money for "fun" because of my garden and all of the other things I've prepped over the last year.
I did ask him what he would do if he woke up Thursday (9-11) and there was no power, no internet, no phone and he shrugged his shoulders. But, I could see the wheels turning in his head. Being the "baby" of the family, he has always been a follower though and will do anything I ask of him.
I think one of our more immediate preps should be to get a gun or guns and get my son some practice. He's never had any experience with guns. I'll talk with my son-in-law about that when I see him today. He'll take Daniel under his wing and teach him everything he needs to know.
Our defense here, whether staying or leaving, is very weak. Knives and a big dog aren't going to be much deterrent if things get bad here.

Here is a few other things I want to do soon, besides a stockpile of food and supplies, is get a CB radio and setup a DPF CB intel network. (Side note: If anyone wants to help with the DPF CB intel network just private message me.)

this year add my food supplies to a level of 1 year and prepare my garden for next year and expand it slightly.
add more seeds of different variety,stock more 12ga ammo,pretty well on .22lr.
get a portable fireplace just in case I'm out of heating and electricity, do a portfolio of my area; known dangers, exit routes etc..
next year continue like now and hopefully contact other preppers here

Wow, so sorry to hear all that your family went through. Awesome you are there to help! And yeah, childcare would bankrupt someone these days.

I have managed to instill a strong work ethic in my children

Yeah, unfortunately, I only knew him when he was real little, then again at age 18. Same with mom, so we really didn't have a lot of input in shaping him. All we can do now is try and help him be a better man.

Guess we all kind of derailed a bit, hehe....

Back on the topic, my wife is already looking for a freezer chest online, so that may be off the list sooner rather than later. We can often save more with bigger grocery trips, so having a place to keep it is paramount.

Getting more ammo, and some more long guns, is definitely on my list as well. (little by little each year)
Other additions, getting a bullet-proof vest and ballistics helmet for each family member. (probably not next year, but year after, as probably $150 for each person, and that's really looking).

I think one of our more immediate preps should be to get a gun or guns and get my son some practice. He's never had any experience with guns. I'll talk with my son-in-law about that when I see him today. He'll take Daniel under his wing and teach him everything he needs to know.
Our defense here, whether staying or leaving, is very weak. Knives and a big dog aren't going to be much deterrent if things get bad here.

Shotgun. Intimidates, doesn't need a lot of aim. Easy to always find ammo. Fairly cheap firearm too.

I'd also recommend a .22 more for small game shooting (as a shotgun will blow it into nuggets), as well as defense.
I know, most want more stopping power, but when getting shot at, you aren't exactly concerned with what caliber is coming your way, and you can amass a LOT of .22 ammo, and carry alot easily. Also, they don't have much kick either.

Shotgun. Intimidates, doesn't need a lot of aim. Easy to always find ammo. Fairly cheap firearm too.

I'd also recommend a .22 more for small game shooting (as a shotgun will blow it into nuggets), as well as defense.
I know, most want more stopping power, but when getting shot at, you aren't exactly concerned with what caliber is coming your way, and you can amass a LOT of .22 ammo, and carry alot easily. Also, they don't have much kick either.
Yes, I'd already decided on a shotgun and will probably get 2 of them actually. This week's sale of all 3 puppies that I got back is going to make that possible.

Yep, a couple years ago, my stepkids moved in and that added expense derailed some plans for a bit. My stepson wants to move out now (his girlfriend dumped him because he's lazy and has no drive, so now he's convinced he has to finally become an adult), and is convinced he can do so. He works part time at Starbucks, good luck with that! Well, my guess is he'll do so (move out), figure out he can't do it in a couple of months, then come back and appreciate things more.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see him fly on his own, but so far, his track record isn't giving me a lot of confidence, especially since he seems oblivious to the extra expenses he is going to face. We charge him $400 a month for rent (and he's never caught up), which includes his room, food (and he's a 19yr old boy, so he pretty much eats 400 in food alone each month), electric, cable, internet, and typically we pay for fun family activities (like movies, etc.). I did the math, and bare minimum, if he finds a cheap place to rent and with two other roommates, he's still looking at $815 for expenses each month. Yeah, good luck with that.

I'm just hoping the whole experience wakes him up a bit, and finally gives him some drive to do something with his life. We have tried to help him in any of his interests, etc, and encourage him., but he just can't seem to focus on anything. For example, he keeps saying he wants to make it in special effects. We even set situations up where he can actually meet and talk with people who have been on Face Off, and even Tom Savini, but does he take advantage of it? No. Sad. Sorry for the rant.
The best I can say is don't worry too much over him. All you can do as a parent is let them know what is best for them, but it's up to them to listen, or not. The old saying of leading a horse to water comes to mind. I was pretty much a shithead of a preachers kid, but I eventually grew up and turned out ok. Some kids are smarter than others and listen to older wiser people, and then there are kids like me that had to learn the hard way. Either way, life goes on. Eventually he will find a path that works for him.

I'm almost reluctant to recommend a 22 as I haven't seen any ammo for it in months. I hopefully walk by the ammo case at wallyworld each trip, only to have my hopes dashed each time! I think there great guns, but the ammo shortage is really bizarre. The 12 ga is my favorite weapon, as you said, you need no skill to hit a target, and it's really flexible from large to small game. I always see ammo for it as well.

I'm pretty much resigned to going to ranges to get .22 ammo. Walmart hasn't had it in forever, but it is usually cheapest there, even for branded ammo.

I'm pretty much resigned to going to ranges to get .22 ammo. Walmart hasn't had it in forever, but it is usually cheapest there, even for branded ammo.
The last time I bought it at a gun shop it was 40.00 for a brick of 325. He tried telling me why it was a good deal, but needless to say he's out of business now. I think wallmart was about 28.00 for 500. Luckily I have some stashed, but would like a little more. Anyone know how long ammo will last if kept cool and dry?

it seems like it'll last for years if kept cool n dry..but not sure to how many years..

it seems like it'll last for years if kept cool n dry..but not sure to how many years..
Even if a portion goes bad after long term, some of it will still shoot. I actually took my vacuum freezer bagger and sealed up some boxes, just to help keep moisture out. I should learn to make black powder for the muzzel loader just in case. I think it was charcoal and salt peter or something like that. I'm not even sure what salt peter is, but as long as google works you an figure out anything!

slat peter is the yellow stuff found at water gayzers,and other volcanic areas,if i remember right

I remember the old wives tale that they used to use salt peter in military food to keep down the libido. Pretty sure such tales (and properties of it) are false though.

hey, we had that tale here also...or was it just a tale??

my ultimate goal is to get the hell out of this town...don't know if I can do it in a year or two..or sooner

I think a huge goal for me is to find some people in this area to work/share and learn with. When things start getting bad, I'd like to have someone to work together with. I still have all the normal goals like finishing the root cellar, which I just brought home the rebar for the ceiling for, and getting my generator set up with propane, a hot water solar pre heater, a start on some solar panels and battery bank, and I'm sure there are other things I'd like to do, but these are kind of at the top of the list. I do things as I can afford as I don't believe in debt, so all this is about a two year plan. Even on the weeks that I don't have a lot of progress, as long as I move fowards a little, I'm ok.

Sorry for hijacking, Brent. Last night I had a talk with my son about why I prep. Since he's been unemployed all this time but the cupboard has never been bare, he's starting to see the light. I have a very modest retirement income but I've managed to support us both through this and have extra money for "fun" because of my garden and all of the other things I've prepped over the last year.
I did ask him what he would do if he woke up Thursday (9-11) and there was no power, no internet, no phone and he shrugged his shoulders. But, I could see the wheels turning in his head. Being the "baby" of the family, he has always been a follower though and will do anything I ask of him.
I really think a gun or two is a wise investment in today's world. There's just too much crime and violence today, and there certainly aren't enough cops. I don't think I would hurt someone for trying to steal food, but in the middle of the night, if I find someone in my house, I don't think I would spend much effort in finding out why they broke in. Yes the gun is a good idea.

Back