We are DOOMED, again, or are we, or is it to late????

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Singer Neil Young (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) lost his home in the fire. Blaming it all on Global Warming

I hear a lot of people saying that "we" are the problem. But none of these people are getting in line to leave the planet to lessen their impact. While I agree that there are too many people, who besides myself, would cut off all food and medical aid to third world countries? And stop all immigration from these shithole countries?

That has my vote!!! Stop all welfare breeding reward programs too. Stop supporting countries that don't support us, most if not all third world countries. Dump NATO if they don't pay their fair share.

Guys, I believe in global warming.

And (just to play devil's advocate, because I like to play with ideas), the criticism of the idea that dire predictions of humanity's end have always been wrong doesn't work for me...for two reasons.

A doctor will plead and beg with his patient to quit smoking, yet we all know people who smoked into their 90s and dropped dead just short of their 100th birthday...but this doesn't mean that the physician was wrong in predicting a patient's early death from nicotinism.

The second reason is that I read a series of non-fiction eassys that were written in the 1950s by Isaac Asimov and Carl Sagan about global warming, and most of their predictions have been very accurate.

They both predicted more intense hurricanes, wild fires, mass extictions, melting of the Antarctic ice cap, greater incidenceof terrorism, tropical diseases showing up in North America, and environmental refugees (among other things).

They both even predicted the political morass that's attached to global warming, and so on.

And yes, I try to do my part on principle.

I take my bike to work, I use a bike trailer to go shopping, I recycle, and I even became a vegetarian for a very long time (although I gave this up because I'm allegic to gluten and dairy products, and these double restrictions proved to be almost impossible to work around).

I also occasionally shop in thrift stores, as anything that's reused doesn't end up in a landfill.

All of these measures not only help the environment, but they save truly huge amounts of money.

I was--by adhering to these ideas--able to get out of debt, and set aside a nest egg besides.

Being conscious of global warming can help the 'bottom line' for everyone.

The second reason is that I read a series of non-fiction eassys that were written in the 1950s by Isaac Asimov and Carl Sagan about global warming, and most of their predictions have been very accurate.

They both predicted more intense hurricanes, wild fires, mass extictions, melting of the Antarctic ice cap, greater incidenceof terrorism, tropical diseases showing up in North America, and environmental refugees (among other things).

Kevin, consider these things. In the past we've had intense hurricanes and wild fires why predict that would change? And 'mass extinction'??? Name them. I'd like to put fire ants on that list, but I don't think this is real at all. Sure, a few animals here & there. Mostly just variations of some critter, the yellow tree bellowing frog (making the name up) may be gone, but it has 200 cousins that are nearly identical. But nothing 'massive' at all.

And the best one: Antarctic ice melting? There is currently more ice there than ever in history. Check your facts.

And the worst: 'environmental refugees'. Hogwash. More like 'we want welfare refugees'.

I have never met an American yet who didn't think Climate Change was a con or that oil would last forever.:p
some people are in for a nasty surprise.
Man caused global climate change is a con and oil is a renewable energy resource. What fiction are you reading?

Rellgar makes a really good point. Many of the beliefs are being proven wrong.

For example, I am older than fossils. It's a fact. Don't believe me? I remember when Mt St Helens erupted. Whole forests got buried. And years later they had massive rain, digging canyons in the debris. They found some of the trees had actually converted to fossils in that very short time window. So when someone says it takes millions of years to make a fossil, they are ignorant.

Same for oil. It can be produced in the right conditions very quickly. So much for requiring millions and billions of years...

I have never met an American yet who didn't think Climate Change was a con or that oil would last forever.:p
some people are in for a nasty surprise.
I guess that makes most Americans more informed than your average gullible fool then. Oil may not last "forever", even though more of it is being produced every day, but we have well over a thousand year supply of known reserves at today's consumption. With more proven reserves being discovered every day.

oil is NOT a renewable source, not in our lifetimes or in many lifetimes in the future. when its gone its gone.
A partial truth.

I know oil takes millions of years, but maybe everyone is referring to biodiesel, which is vegetable oil converted for use in diesel engines. Also, gasoline can be made synthetically in a lab from renewable substances, but it's about 20 times more expensive than gas from crude oil.

Rellgar makes a really good point. Many of the beliefs are being proven wrong.

For example, I am older than fossils. It's a fact. Don't believe me? I remember when Mt St Helens erupted. Whole forests got buried. And years later they had massive rain, digging canyons in the debris. They found some of the trees had actually converted to fossils in that very short time window. So when someone says it takes millions of years to make a fossil, they are ignorant.

Same for oil. It can be produced in the right conditions very quickly. So much for requiring millions and billions of years...
Another partial truth.

It depends upon how you define a fossil.

A frozen mammoth in the siberian permafrost is considered a fossil, but a sickly feral cat in Maine that freezes to death and gets frozen solid during a rough winter...and discovered with the spring thaw isn't considered a fossil.

There is a grey area here, and I'm not sure how such a situation is decided.

oil is NOT a renewable source, not in our lifetimes or in many lifetimes in the future. when its gone its gone.
Wrong BP. Oil has been in the process of being formed for countless millions of years. That process hasn't stopped just because Man has been using it for a very short period of time. Many areas around the world have natural oil seeps that exceed the production in some oil fields. We have bearly tapped in to all the oil that is out there.

that's a fallacy perpetuated by all the oil producing nations, we reached the peak oil tipping point several years ago and we are now on the downward slope, the more people that start driving and using oil, the more the population increases and we have all this plastic and other stuff made from oil the quicker and quicker it will run out, it might not be in my lifetime or yours but one day it will.

Oh my goodness, only 1000 year supply and that's just what we know about! Run for the hills! Seriously, why is it urgent to replace crude oil anytime soon?

Another partial truth.It depends upon how you define a fossil. A frozen mammoth in the siberian permafrost is considered a fossil, but a sickly feral cat in Maine that freezes to death and gets frozen solid during a rough winter...and discovered with the spring thaw isn't considered a fossil. There is a grey area here, and I'm not sure how such a situation is decided.

A frozen mammoth is not a fossil. I am talking about past living organisms that have been preserved as mineralized casts of it. A frozen mammoth isn't a fossil as it's still intact with flesh and blood. I can show you a tree fossil from Mt St Helen and another tree fossil allegedly millions of years old, and you can't tell the difference.

that's exactly what I mean, you've obviously swallowed their bullshit hook, line and sinker.
I believe in being prepared.

Being prepared for what? Running out of oil 950 years after you die? Heck, let's say it only lasts 200 years. You're preparing for something that your great great great great great grandchildren MAY face? Nonsense. You are the one who's swallowed the BS.

Latest posts

Back