This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 2. Aloe vera plants.and 2 boxes of band-aids.which I've been needing both,since i touched 2 finger tips on a extremely hot muffler of a hand held leaf blower..i had gotten a aloe vera pad from someone. And had some band-aids .but thier getting used up.i also got 2 more reading glasses.car has a full tank of gas now..

Got the airstream. All the appliances and power works. Long list of things to do though. Got rid of the computer, phone only now. Took the CQB course, I need a lot of work with an AR to be where I want, but it was fun. It turned into really more of a room clearing and weapon handling course, bit any training is good.
Started buying 1 box of 5.56 and 1 of 9mm per paycheck.
Looking for land around the Madison area where I can live in the airstream while I restore it.
Been doing kettle bell workouts and dry firing.
Setting up to do a USPSA pistol competition. Should be soon.

Hope everyone has been healthy, and having a good year.

Nothing exciting. Purchased a large roll of black plastic for blacking out windows and doors, more duct tape, batteries and disposable razors. I also am trying out some new laundry soap( roma?) that was super cheap and a weird brand I never heard of before. Cheaper than I can make it. I'll give it a try and if is OK, then I will buy more and store it in big plastic tubs. It is hard to compare prices on detergent because you have to figure how much per ounce and then how much you use per load. Then you have to compare price per load, not compare price per ounce.

Nothing exciting. Purchased a large roll of black plastic for blacking out windows and doors, more duct tape, batteries and disposable razors. I also am trying out some new laundry soap( roma?) that was super cheap and a weird brand I never heard of before. Cheaper than I can make it. I'll give it a try and if is OK, then I will buy more and store it in big plastic tubs. It is hard to compare prices on detergent because you have to figure how much per ounce and then how much you use per load. Then you have to compare price per load, not compare price per ounce.
If you want to stockpile laundry soap, a few things to be aware of (and I live in a very hot, humid environment, so some of my points may not apply to you).

Powder laundry soap will cake up into concrete if you don't take precautions to store it properly.

Put it in plastic restaurant buckets with plastic lids, and seal the lids with a bead of clear silicone sealant. You might also consider putting Damp Rid into the containers just before you seal, and store these containers out of direct sunlight.

Keep in mind that you want to be careful with certian types of laundry soap if you have a septic tank and if you use well water.

Certian substances (like phosphates and dyes) can leach into groundwater and find its way into streams and ponds, which can affect wild animals and, therefore, your food supply.

If these issues are a concern (and--in my mind--they should be), then get Seventh Generation laundry soap...which cleans really well and is safe for the environment.

I hope this helps you.

If you want to stockpile laundry soap, a few things to be aware of (and I live in a very hot, humid environment, so some of my points may not apply to you).

Powder laundry soap will cake up into concrete if you don't take precautions to store it properly.

Put it in plastic restaurant buckets with plastic lids, and seal the lids with a bead of clear silicone sealant. You might also consider putting Damp Rid into the containers just before you seal, and store these containers out of direct sunlight.

Keep in mind that you want to be careful with certian types of laundry soap if you have a septic tank and if you use well water.

Certian substances (like phosphates and dyes) can leach into groundwater and find its way into streams and ponds, which can affect wild animals and, therefore, your food supply.

If these issues are a concern (and--in my mind--they should be), then get Seventh Generation laundry soap...which cleans really well and is safe for the environment.

I hope this helps you.
I agree with 7th generation, good stuff. Store in a bucket with a humidity absorber (silica gel) and an air tight top (gamma).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roma laundry soap is ok and not too bad for the soil. I haven’t heard of seventh generation before but will look into it.
The best ones for not contaminating the soil are;
Oasis
Bio pac
Biokleen
Life tree
Ecover
Mountain green
Vaska
I’m sure there are others, but these top a quick google list. In reality none of these clean as well as the things that will kill your garden, but they do well enough. I’ve been using a mix of oasis and Roma for a while now and it’s effective enough for me.

Roma laundry soap is ok and not too bad for the soil. I haven’t heard of seventh generation before but will look into it.
The best ones for not contaminating the soil are;
Oasis
Bio pac
Biokleen
Life tree
Ecover
Mountain green
Vaska
I’m sure there are others, but these top a quick google list. In reality none of these clean as well as the things that will kill your garden, but they do well enough. I’ve been using a mix of oasis and Roma for a while now and it’s effective enough for me.
I have used the liquid version of Biokleen and Ecover. I really liked Biokleen, Ecover had a really strong fragrance but it may have been a bad choice on my part. It cleaned good, though.

Got the wiring and insulation done in the shop today. They'll start hanging the drywall tomorrow morning. The concrete guys are supposed to be here on Thursday to pour the footers for the house. I finially got my boat back from the shop last week. It was in the shop for over a month. The impeller and pump housing, among other things, was worn out and needed replacing.
We've had several days of 85 degree heat with no rain and no relief in sight. The wife and I are thinking about buying a place on the lake up north near the kids.

Last edited:

I hope this helps you.

I think in a shtf it won’t matter if stains come out as long as it’s clean so....

Just use dish soap, cheap, doesn’t require as much, affective, easier to store and not overly bad for the environment plus a very long shelf life also dual purpose.

Last edited:
I think in a shtf it won’t matter if stains come out as long as it’s clean so....

Just use dish soap, cheap, doesn’t require as much, affective, easier to store and not overly bad for the environment plus a very long shelf life also dual purpose.
Yeah, I doubt if laundry will be a priority. Have you seen the non-electric washers? This makes me wonder what thoughts anyone has on doing laundry? By hand, or plunger or?

Yeah, I doubt if laundry will be a priority. Have you seen the non-electric washers? This makes me wonder what thoughts anyone has on doing laundry? By hand, or plunger or?

6gal bucket and sink plunger, cut a hole in the lid to slip over the handle.. cheap

My neighbors have a non electric clothes washer. Not really sure how it's works, but I think it has a plunger and a hand crank for spinning. They say that it works great.

IMG_20170306_113449.jpg
This is where I plan to do laundry next time I am without electricity. It was added after hurricanes Rita & Ike when we had no power for weeks on end. Back then it was the 5 gallon bucket and sink pkunger.
IMG_20180228_095246_hdr.jpg
This is the ingredients for my laundry detergent except there should be 2 bars of the Zote laundry soap.

View attachment 8885 This is where I plan to do laundry next time I am without electricity. It was added after hurricanes Rita & Ike when we had no power for weeks on end. Back then it was the 5 gallon bucket and sink pkunger.View attachment 8884This is the ingredients for my laundry detergent except there should be 2 bars of the Zote laundry soap.
How does your washer work? I can’t figure it out from the picture.

Latest posts

Back