The Airstream, almost there

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So,

Went down to Illinois, me and my son and a friend went over to look at the Airstream. The tires are holding air, the back window is broken, and the floor will need to be replaced, but everything else intact. The interior is pretty good shape, considering. It's a 24 foot two axle, which is pretty desirable. The frame is great, the belly pans are all nice, all the appliances are in working condition, and in good shape. Brakes look good, roof looks good. It's not as nice as the one pictured here, but it's close. Real close, like some paint touch up from looking like the picture.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/72749.jpg

The prices I have been seeing for vintage airstreams I have been looking at, in the same shape or worse, have all been in the 5k range. 3k for one that is gutted, just a decent shell.

Because of the circumstances, we agreed on 5 hundred bucks. Unreal.

I was totally fishing, and said I would get it off the property if he just gave it to me, and he said he couldn't do that, but could I go as high as 500?

The tires are a year old, and probably cost that much.

So, I am putting everything on hold for a while, and getting this thing bought, and moved to the BOL, so I can restore the interior, and paint it. Over the weekend, we cleared out a gravel pad and set up water and power hookups.

I didn't have the five hundred in hand, unfortunately, but it looks like this is going to happen.

Fingers crossed that no one stops by with 2 grand in cash in hand before I can get back down there.

I personally don’t like them much as I things they are kind of ugly. However, I know they are quality made, highly desirable and easy to sell. I would have given a deposit at least on the spot

I’m actually watching craigslist daily for a used camper. I like the look of the teardrops the most and would like to find one with a full bathroom in it. I am somewhat flexible on style of course when I find a really good deal on something. I would even consider pulling a big aluminum beer can down the road if I find a deal! :)

They are actually very nice, even if you have to restore. . . hope you let us tag along and give some before and after on the restoring process. :)

I can do that no problem, but it's going to be a slow process.

I have no choice but to keep it down there, a two hour drive. So, just the logistics will be a bit difficult.

Fortunately, the shed it will be sitting beside was originally built to paint tractor trailors in, so it has all the tools/compressors/welders I could possibly need, even a TIG for the aluminum.

Once its there, I am golden. I cut a deal for two years of gravel pad rent, basically bartering some time and work on the farm. They decided to have me help put up a spiral staircase and mezzanine, along with some catwalk, all around the grain bins, I would have helped do it anyway. There is already a deck crane and scissor lift sitting there, and two gas welders. Piece of cake, maybe two weekends.

Plus my friend told me to go look at all the ford motors on the property next time I am down, and take anything that looks good for the ranchero. Good friends. I am tempted to throw a 429 in there, lol. That would pull the airstream easy.

I can do that no problem, but it's going to be a slow process.

I have no choice but to keep it down there, a two hour drive. So, just the logistics will be a bit difficult.

Fortunately, the shed it will be sitting beside was originally built to paint tractor trailors in, so it has all the tools/compressors/welders I could possibly need, even a TIG for the aluminum.

Once its there, I am golden. I cut a deal for two years of gravel pad rent, basically bartering some time and work on the farm. They decided to have me help put up a spiral staircase and mezzanine, along with some catwalk, all around the grain bins, I would have helped do it anyway. There is already a deck crane and scissor lift sitting there, and two gas welders. Piece of cake, maybe two weekends.

Plus my friend told me to go look at all the ford motors on the property next time I am down, and take anything that looks good for the ranchero. Good friends. I am tempted to throw a 429 in there, lol. That would pull the airstream easy.
SCJ (super cobra jet)? That would be cool...ram air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Theres a couple 429,s but no SCJ's, or if they are I don't know it. I think one came out of a Galaxie 500? The other no idea. Not sure he would give a SCJ motor up. My ranchero has the hood for a ram air intake, but the current scoop is non functional, from the factory.

I have more people stop me and talk with this car than any other old hotrod's I've owned. I can only imagine how bad it will be towing a color and year matched Airstream.

I’m actually watching craigslist daily for a used camper. I like the look of the teardrops the most and would like to find one with a full bathroom in it. I am somewhat flexible on style of course when I find a really good deal on something. I would even consider pulling a big aluminum beer can down the road if I find a deal! :)
A teardrop with a full bathroom is not going to happen. Your camper depends on what you are going to use it for. Occass hunting trip, just need something usable, want to restore a project, need a lightweight tow, need a full size bed? Answer these questions. I have a 1965 Yellowstone and a close relative recently purchased a 1990 Jayco because it was a great deal in great condition and they weren't going to shows or anything, just an occasional camp. You need to decide what is important to you. Off grid, use of propane only or hook up electric and disposal. You can go as far as you want and as primitive as you can get.

So,

Went down to Illinois, me and my son and a friend went over to look at the Airstream. The tires are holding air, the back window is broken, and the floor will need to be replaced, but everything else intact. The interior is pretty good shape, considering. It's a 24 foot two axle, which is pretty desirable. The frame is great, the belly pans are all nice, all the appliances are in working condition, and in good shape. Brakes look good, roof looks good. It's not as nice as the one pictured here, but it's close. Real close, like some paint touch up from looking like the picture.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/72749.jpg

The prices I have been seeing for vintage airstreams I have been looking at, in the same shape or worse, have all been in the 5k range. 3k for one that is gutted, just a decent shell.

Because of the circumstances, we agreed on 5 hundred bucks. Unreal.

I was totally fishing, and said I would get it off the property if he just gave it to me, and he said he couldn't do that, but could I go as high as 500?

The tires are a year old, and probably cost that much.

So, I am putting everything on hold for a while, and getting this thing bought, and moved to the BOL, so I can restore the interior, and paint it. Over the weekend, we cleared out a gravel pad and set up water and power hookups.

I didn't have the five hundred in hand, unfortunately, but it looks like this is going to happen.

Fingers crossed that no one stops by with 2 grand in cash in hand before I can get back down there.
Amazing deal. Get your butt down there ASAP and pay the man and get that title.

My brother has restored a few and made some good money. He lives at a lake and has a lot of prospective buyers passing by.

Theres a couple 429,s but no SCJ's, or if they are I don't know it. I think one came out of a Galaxie 500? The other no idea. Not sure he would give a SCJ motor up. My ranchero has the hood for a ram air intake, but the current scoop is non functional, from the factory.

I have more people stop me and talk with this car than any other old hotrod's I've owned. I can only imagine how bad it will be towing a color and year matched Airstream.
I used to own a 1968 1/2 Cougar that has the 428 version with Ram air and a 4 speed (R code, if you are into that) it was fun, but loved racing fuel....a lot of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A teardrop with a full bathroom is not going to happen. Your camper depends on what you are going to use it for. Occass hunting trip, just need something usable, want to restore a project, need a lightweight tow, need a full size bed? Answer these questions. I have a 1965 Yellowstone and a close relative recently purchased a 1990 Jayco because it was a great deal in great condition and they weren't going to shows or anything, just an occasional camp. You need to decide what is important to you. Off grid, use of propane only or hook up electric and disposal. You can go as far as you want and as primitive as you can get.
I’ve seen newer campers that aren’t a true teardrop, but have a similar shape with a little longer length, with the full bathroom. The problem is as I said they are newer and therefore more expensive. So far fifteen thousand is the average I’ve seen and I’m not willing to spend anywhere close to that for something I’m going to use occasionally. For that kind of money you could stay in some really nice hotels for years of vacations.... I will find something sooner or later though, but the aerodynamic shape is a must and something less than two thousand pounds. My jeep is a diesel and is tough, but I don’t want to push it too hard.

When we bought our Jayco, it wasn't an expected buy. Just so happened to stop by a mans house that had an old Ford pickup for sale and hunnys boss was wanting one for the business. He had so many antique cars and trucks hidden in his garages. He took us thru all three. . . anyway, this RV was what he and his wife had lived in for a few years before settling where he is now. It was too hard to pass and the price was right. Big enough to accommodate both us and Granny with our combined 4 dogs. Hold out till you feel comfortable with the price. At 15,000 you can put another 10,000 and buy a brand new, unless your prices are that different there. I know some house and land prices are outrageous compared to here.

When we bought our Jayco, it wasn't an expected buy. Just so happened to stop by a mans house that had an old Ford pickup for sale and hunnys boss was wanting one for the business. He had so many antique cars and trucks hidden in his garages. He took us thru all three. . . anyway, this RV was what he and his wife had lived in for a few years before settling where he is now. It was too hard to pass and the price was right. Big enough to accommodate both us and Granny with our combined 4 dogs. Hold out till you feel comfortable with the price. At 15,000 you can put another 10,000 and buy a brand new, unless your prices are that different there. I know some house and land prices are outrageous compared to here.
I’m pretty patient and honestly am not in a hurry anyways. When I find the right deal on something I will get it, but am old enough to not get excited and rush out or make impulsive decisions anymore. I am looking forward to spending a night or two next to a creek though, in a little more comfort than a tent.

My mom bought my son , the one with special needs, a really cool rv. We set it in the back and used it as a club house etc. I ran a splitter and he had satellite tv.

I screwed up and didn't drain the water one winter and the tank burst and ruined the floor.

My brother repaired it so I let him take it to sell.

I really wish I had kept it now. I could make my husband live there.

My mom bought my son , the one with special needs, a really cool rv. We set it in the back and used it as a club house etc. I ran a splitter and he had satellite tv.

I screwed up and didn't drain the water one winter and the tank burst and ruined the floor.

My brother repaired it so I let him take it to sell.

I really wish I had kept it now. I could make my husband live there.
Lol! I’ve been know to be in the dog house occasionally....

Latest posts

Back