Solar Power

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that sun is free! I am a big fan of solar! I am sure the gov't will try to tax sunshine at some point
I thought of that too. But for now it's still FREE. Don't spread it around, we wouldn't want them to find out something else to tax. :)

This is the Harbor Freight 45 watt solar kit in action. The Ever Start battery is totally dead. To the left are 2 6v and the grey box is my 12v. The flat one on the railing is a 10w coleman trickle charger. Right above the Ever Start is the Harbor Freight charge controller.
Solar Array 053.jpg

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
100 Watt Solar Array....busy. Lots of planning going into this.
May start running dedicated solar outlets in house.

Got 3 more panels today plus 2 new 12v Marine Deep Cycle Batteries.
I think I'm going to get a 600Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. These Modified Sine Wave Inverters are for the birds. The Pure Sine Wave are much more expensive but you don't get "issues" with fluorescent lights and grounding with them.

I wanted to post this pic of something that is real handy when it comes to figure out how many watts an appliance uses. You plug this into an outlet and then plug the appliance into it. It gives you Volts, Amps, Watt, Hz, KWH. It's called a Kill A Watt P3. Get them on ebay for about $ 20 dollars. I've always got this plugged into someting.

Kill A Watt P3.JPG

This is the Harbor Freight 45 watt solar kit in action. The Ever Start battery is totally dead. To the left are 2 6v and the grey box is my 12v. The flat one on the railing is a 10w coleman trickle charger. Right above the Ever Start is the Harbor Freight charge controller.
View attachment 137
wanting to get the harbor freight kit for my rv. How do you like it?

wanting to get the harbor freight kit for my rv. How do you like it?

Hi, actually I like them. Amorphous panels work in bright sun or cloudy days. The Mono or Poly do not. These are 10% efficient whereas the others are more like 18% effective. You also have to give them about 6 months for the coating to set so you will see a 20% efficiency rate decrease until they do. I'm not crazy over the charge controller, there are better on the market. Overall I like it. It does a good job. If you don't have a True RMS Multimeter it would be better to have one or else your readings will be low. The ones in the pic that you commented on:
HF-sku 90599. they are 12" wide and 36" in length. They have a metal frame.
Are you going to mount them on top of your RV or keep them in the basement and take them out when you park?
The newer kit is plastic frame and the dimentions are:
38" Length, 13 1/4" Width
HB- sku 68751.
Look for coupons before you buy. I got both kits for $ 149.99 each.
Overall I like them. Great starter kit. Plug & Play all the way, very easy assembly...just add (tax free) sunlight LOL.

I just ordered a 600 Watt PURE SINE WAVE DC TO AC INVERTER. It's a Voltec. I'm so tired of "ELECTRICAL ISSUES" with Modified Sine Inverters. Should be here Tues.

BTW: Modified Sine Inverters will not work with some Medical Equipment.

Hi, actually I like them. Amorphous panels work in bright sun or cloudy days. The Mono or Poly do not. These are 10% efficient whereas the others are more like 18% effective. You also have to give them about 6 months for the coating to set so you will see a 20% efficiency rate decrease until they do. I'm not crazy over the charge controller, there are better on the market. Overall I like it. It does a good job. If you don't have a True RMS Multimeter it would be better to have one or else your readings will be low. The ones in the pic that you commented on:
HF-sku 90599. they are 12" wide and 36" in length. They have a metal frame.
Are you going to mount them on top of your RV or keep them in the basement and take them out when you park?
The newer kit is plastic frame and the dimentions are:
38" Length, 13 1/4" Width
HB- sku 68751.
Look for coupons before you buy. I got both kits for $ 149.99 each.
Overall I like them. Great starter kit. Plug & Play all the way, very easy assembly...just add (tax free) sunlight LOL.
I was actually thinking of permanent mount on the roof.Tired of going out to start it and finding a dead battery.Thanks a lot Loomis.

I have heard of this, even some states outlawing it completely. without water rights. my argument for that would be in the form of bills, for the damage that thier rain has caused to my home. if they own it they would be responsible for it wouldnt they.

I was actually thinking of permanent mount on the roof.Tired of going out to start it and finding a dead battery.Thanks a lot Loomis.

There are plenty of vids on You Tube on how to install on RV's. Another suggestion would be one 15 Watt panel (Harbor Freight $ 59.99) also. How many coach batteries do you have? The 45 Watt would be more than sufficient. I know the feeling with dead batteries. Same thing when I had my RV.

There are plenty of vids on You Tube on how to install on RV's. Another suggestion would be one 15 Watt panel (Harbor Freight $ 59.99) also. How many coach batteries do you have? The 45 Watt would be more than sufficient. I know the feeling with dead batteries. Same thing when I had my RV.
three batteries total one coach two power

I have picked up a slightly larger solar generator at a higher cost ($1600) and yet, still portable enough (1800 watts)...My thoughts were to have the power for the computer, a few other short term, operating devices, which includes a small, plug-in, AA Battery charger (Must Be Rechargeable Type Batteries)...Reason for this is that I have a yard full (12) of those small garden solar lights (AA size) , that can charge all day by themselves, which gives me inside lights in the house at night, if and when the power fails,.and I can still recharge them in case they run down and didn't recharge during the day......

Back