Show me your blades

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have had reports for several years here from ex-employees that Gerber was having it's blades forged overseas (not the multi-tool though) but finished at the Portland plant with the finish product stamped 'Portland, OR.' if true, could account for the wide hardening and tempering discrepancy, in the past Gerber used to use 154cm, 420hc, ats34. I don't know what they use today but anymore it is a crap shoot purchasing their working/tactical knifes.

too bad they do like that just to save a few bucks,in the end they will loose more...
thought once I would by one of there blades...but somehow their quality wasn't appreciated here and wen't for cold steel instead

I generally use COLD STEEL or BLADE TECH knives but I must admit I'm getting kinda happy with CRKT stuff lately.

too bad they do like that just to save a few bucks,in the end they will loose more...
thought once I would by one of there blades...but somehow their quality wasn't appreciated here and wen't for cold steel instead

You really can't go wrong with Cold Steel! I'm not a metallurgist nor am I a knife maker but I do use knife's and beat the hell out of them, I have not had issues with cold steel and ontario knife's and up to this point I have had no issues with condor. I just wish people wouldn't spend so much on knife's because youtube says it is the knife to get or it is the hottest thing on the market or some youtube bushcrafter brags about his knife, price and looks doesn't mean quality, even condor can put a lot of these custom knife's to shame.

Getting one of these three knife's will save you money to be spent for other important items for the BOB/BOL

Ordered the Gerber Air Ranger, and now, I plan on getting ahold of a Leatherman Juice CS4. This will give me some decent versatility. Alongside the pocketknives though, I intend on ordering some throwing stars as well.

Do you know the name of that last knife? The survival knife? I use to have one exactly like it but traded it. I would really like another because it was a superb blade.

The knife in the picture isn't mine, but it's the exact one I have. Don't want to show mine because it's rusted and I need to get it fixed up. Carbon steel and leather sheaths don't seem to mix well.
idk what the name of it is, but I got it at harbor freight for like $8.99+tax, its china steel....BUT, although its cheap and China steel, don't even think about knocken it, I bought it as a survival knife I could F up and not cry about F'en up a nice knife. ive already used it to cut holes inna cooler for a homemade air conditioner, among various other things. ive pretty much beaten the crap out of that thing and its still sharp as the day I bought it. it surprising what you buy for crap that turns out to be quality :)

Tac-force is 440 crap. Throw away abuse knife. Use as a box cutter only! Barely worth the 10 to 15 bucks.

LOL When It comes to knives Jim I don't mess around. It's the one thing I know like my own self. I always imagine that the SHTF when these poor guys have that cheapo blade in their pocket and then bam! Their stuck with it. It could very well get them killed. Just save a little longer and buy quality and then your ready. These kind of knives have constant lock failures that injure the owner. In a no medical care situation that can equal a cut that kills you. or you pull it out to defend you or your family and it breaks. The 440 steel most of these are made of is brittle.

lock failure 1.jpg
lock failure 3.jpg
lock failure 4.jpg

Any of these wounds are common with cheap folding knives!!!!!!!

looks very painful...even more so if you were supposed to defend your self and/or your loved ones....

That's the buck bantam. If that's a Cameron model it could be a custom job. 420hc steel isn't terrible depending on the heat treatment.

At the very least, I can honestly say that I don't have anything like this.

Roninsensei, you think Gerber is bad? I have owned many pocket knives/multitools over the years, and none of them have done this lol.

Guys remember those cheap RAMBO SURVIVAL KNIVES with hollow handles that were only spot welded to the blade ( No tang at all) god they were lethal, but I would add to the debate respectfully that crap LOCKING MECHANISMS are every bit as dangerous as crap steel or poor assembly.

At the very least, I can honestly say that I don't have anything like this.
Roninsensei, you think Gerber is bad? I have owned many pocket knives/multitools over the years, and none of them have done this lol.

I agree that's one of the worst things I've seen. Whats scary is I wonder how many people bought that pack and are gonna be stuck with that knife. :wtf:

LOL When It comes to knives Jim I don't mess around. It's the one thing I know like my own self. I always imagine that the SHTF when these poor guys have that cheapo blade in their pocket and then bam! Their stuck with it. It could very well get them killed. Just save a little longer and buy quality and then your ready. These kind of knives have constant lock failures that injure the owner. In a no medical care situation that can equal a cut that kills you. or you pull it out to defend you or your family and it breaks. The 440 steel most of these are made of is brittle.

View attachment 3933 View attachment 3934 View attachment 3935

Any of these wounds are common with cheap folding knives!!!!!!!

that looks pretty bad.i have a lil razor knife in which i got a few little cuts from it,untill i got use to it.but thats nothong compared to these pic's

anyone seen that new "multi-tool axe" downrange tomahawk from gerber?? any ideas is it something worth of or waste of money??
looks kinda nice though

Latest posts

Back