Now where did I put my shocked face???

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I propose another category.

Homeless veterans.I

I was a paramedic for many years, and a disproportionate number of homeless people are military veterans who are disabled either mentally and/or physically, and they deserve to be in their own category because they fought for (and sacrificed) for our country...and it was this vital service that left them screwed up and on the street.

I believe that our obligation to such people is higher than our obligation to other categories of homeless, but that's me.
Our Vets should be taken care of first. Their medical care is a disgrace.

I can agree there Kevin. They are under the broader group of those down on their luck, but yes, I'd agree we have a more immediate responsibility for these folks.

Our Vets should be taken care of first. Their medical care is a disgrace.

And yet Liberals want to hand over the entire system of healthcare for ALL of us, to the government.....um, they haven't done so hot at it....

I propose another category.
Homeless veterans.

Because of our proximity to Fort Benning, we have a good many down-on-their-luck veterans, I don't know that I'd say a LOT, but you do run into them occasionally. You can usually spot them easily. They are older, very polite, clean shaven, not well dressed, but they don't look shabby either. I do sometimes give them a few bucks, on a case-by-case basis.

i don't know about the USA but it has been said in the UK we don't have enough housing for all the people here now, never mind the ones yet to arrive or the ones not even born yet. overpopulation is a problem everywhere because the one thing humans are good at is producing babies.

i don't know about the USA but it has been said in the UK we don't have enough housing for all the people here now, never mind the ones yet to arrive or the ones not even born yet. overpopulation is a problem everywhere because the one thing humans are good at is producing babies.

I agree with you.

Religious people will disagree with me, but free birth control should be available to anyone who wants it.

I view the religious objections in the same light that I view religious objections to autopsy and vivisection, and the religious objections to handwashing by obstetricians in the 1800s.

Semmelweis discovered that handwashing prevents post partum infection...yet everyone objected because it violated God's laws when God punished Eve by saying that He would greatly increase her pains from childbirth.

This is part of why Semmelweis was put in a mental institution, and was silenced and discredited for much of his professional life.

In my mind, religious objection to birth control is the same thing.

Kevin, I don't think you can make such black and white generalizations about it. Very few religious people believe in NO birth control. It is estimated that there are at most tens of thousands so called "Quiverfull" adherants who believe that everyone should have as many children as possible.

More common are adherants of "Natural Family Planning" which include Catholics and some Protestants. But the Protestants following that are in the minority.

Most Protestants accept contraception, but reject murdering innocent unborn children.

Whether or not the state should be involved is more of a political question than religious question. There are plenty of people who accept any form of birth control but think it is something left up to the individual, not the state.

The VA has been pretty good to me. I've been in maybe twice? since I got out, it was always quick and painless. Once to get me on the books with a 0% percent disability rating (hearing loss) so I could get into the system, then again for an MRI for my shoulder and hip (accident in Japan in 95). No problems, but I have heard horror stories.

I think a lot of guys claim to be vets and aren't, but I don't really know that for sure.

Kevin, I don't think you can make such black and white generalizations about it. Very few religious people believe in NO birth control. It is estimated that there are at most tens of thousands so called "Quiverfull" adherants who believe that everyone should have as many children as possible.

More common are adherants of "Natural Family Planning" which include Catholics and some Protestants. But the Protestants following that are in the minority.

Most Protestants accept contraception, but reject murdering innocent unborn children.

Whether or not the state should be involved is more of a political question than religious question. There are plenty of people who accept any form of birth control but think it is something left up to the individual, not the state.

I don't disagree with you.

I meant that birth control should be freely available, but not forced on anyone.

Although abortion is a form of birth control, I really meant contraception and should have clarified my position.

The hospital that I used to work for didn't provide for birth control either for employee benefits, or for vasectomies and/or tubal ligations because it's a Catholic hospital.

They confiscated and destroyed condoms that were, technically, patients' property when working girls came into the ER...although, in fairness, this has been stopped.

The rational behind this policy was if the hospital was allowed to remove illegal drugs (because they're dangerous) from a patient's posession, then they're allowed to make policy regarding contraceptives on hospital property.

In other words, taking a hooker's condoms are a deterrant to their dangerous, self-destructive behavior, and is no different than forbidding cigarettes on hospital gounds.

At least that's the rationale.

Anyone that participates in or supports abortion is guilty of Child murder .Despite all the arguments nearly all unborn Babies that are killed by the abortion industry are killed for convenience of a selfish Parent or parents . Planned parenthood is the biggest provider of systemic muder in this vile industry .
Over population has nothing to do with homelessness in any modern Country . Some homeless have mental illness I say most are addicted to alchol and or drugs . Some are let out of prison with little to no option. I know a lot of Vet's a couple have been homeless and some point in their life and it was alchol that lead them down the homeless path . Most admitt they were headed down that road before they ever got out of School .

Anyone that participates in or supports abortion is guilty of Child murder

No, they are guilty of terminating a potential human child.

So, are you committing child murder when you er um...pleasure yourself into an old sock?

That's kind of the thing about the debate...of where does an actual "child" begin.

Personally, I feel the same as you on it...but I also feel that I do not have the right to decide this for others. I would never do this with my own flesh and blood, but I also don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others either.

Over population has nothing to do with homelessness in any modern Country

What? Of course it does! It limits resources, it limits opportunities, jobs, housing, etc.

So, are you committing child murder when you er um...pleasure yourself into an old sock?

That's kind of the thing about the debate...of where does an actual "child" begin.

Personally, I feel the same as you on it...but I also feel that I do not have the right to decide this for others. I would never do this with my own flesh and blood, but I also don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others either.

What? Of course it does! It limits resources, it limits opportunities, jobs, housing, etc.
Sperm is not a developing child, once the sperm fertilizes the egg its a developing child. Big difference there.

Life begins at conception . I don't need politicians to pass a law to tell Me that . Its good You do have prolife values .
Never heard the old sock thing before .
Overpopulation may affect the homeless population in underdeveloped Countries but not in any modern Country . Iv known of homelesd People being housed for free and end up back on the street .

Life begins at conception

So, birth control is fine to you then, correct? After all, it's just designed to prevent conception, whether it's the adhesion of the egg, or preventing the sperm from fertilizing the egg.

Or instead, are we going with the whole sex for any purpose other than procreation is a sin nonsense?

Life begins at conception

While you and I agree on this concept, there are many, many who do not. I cannot presume to force others to conform to how I define it.

Sperm is not a developing child, once the sperm fertilizes the egg its a developing child. Big difference there.

I'd agree, but my point is that some do not agree. For some, sex without procreation is murder of these potential lives. The basic point is that the "when" is a matter of debate that may be more determined by culture than any rationality.

Conception is the usual starting point. Some argue later, like when the heart starts beating.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate: Religious beliefs aside, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are the three "unalienable rights" mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. What we have is one person's right to life in conflict with another person's pursuit of happiness. Now I personally believe the right to life supersedes some else's right to the pursuit of happiness. But, a lot of people think that the right to the pursuit of happiness supersedes the right to life.

I am of the opinion that the balancing of these rights should be left up to the States, not the Federal Government. That way, you can choose to live in a state whose laws are in line with your beliefs. This was supposed to be one of the advantages of a Federalist system, but that has been negated down through the years by things like the Civil Rights Act and Roe v Wade. Roe v Wade in my opinion is unconstitutional in that respect.

Or instead, are we going with the whole sex for any purpose other than procreation is a sin

Iv been a Christian for as long as I can remember and make My own decisions . I have never heard a Preacher teach that. The Bible does not teach such either and Iv mostly attended Bible Teaching Baptist church .

I don't know any Christian who says every time you have sex with your spouse you should get a child.

I think you can get radical in either direction. The above idea would be out there. Anyone who says you can kill a baby with partial-birth abortion is even further out there.

I had mentioned before what I think is a reasonable definition: heartbeat. It begins between 3 and 6 weeks of age.

So a condom is reasonable. The 'pill' works fairly well and meets this requirement. The internet says one woman had over 50 abortions, that's mass murder.

But Doc said it best. It's a conflict of 2 basic rights. There is no place for the federal gov't to be involved here. Let each state decide their own interpretation of which right is best for their citizens. But then the Feds have long since thought any state has any choices or rights.

Note that none of this addresses sex outside marriage. That's another topic.

Latest posts

Back