Moving away from google and microsoft

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
With the big 2 email providers, google and microsoft the wife and I decided drop them, with them mining our email and throwing money behind things we don't support such as politics and gun control we dropped both google and microsoft. The latest video coming out google broke the camels back for me, I know, it won't matter much but it makes us feel better.

Didn't realize how much trouble it is to change emails with some of the online stores I frequent and even with my medical, insurance and money institutions, far easier to change my address than an damn email.

Sadly, it's just WAY more hassle than I'd feel comfortable doing. I've had my hotmail account (which is now Microsoft) for so long, it doesn't even have numbers in it. Seriously.

I just set up Protonmail. Their servers are all in Switzerland so all information is protected by Swiss law. It is a BIG pain to redo your email, but I am tired of these big companies using my information. Everyone is so worried about Russian influences, maybe they should look a little closer to home first.

If y'all missed it; http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...s-safe-space-how-heck-can-trust-them-now.html

Then on top of all that, google is joining forces with the chinese in censoring search results. I'm free of facebook, the only thing I have of microsoft is the operating system now, my cloud service no longer with microsoft, I used thunderbird to download all my folders and email from google and microsoft before disconnecting them. I'm with Arctic on dumping everything electronic, when Lisa retires I'm fully done with over 3/4 of this crap

I have three Protonmail accounts. Two free and one paid. I am slowly moving and closing all my gmail accounts. I use Duck Duck Go for my search and and Opera for my browser, with an additional free VPN account, on top of my paid NordVPN. Is my tin hat a bit too tight?

I have three Protonmail accounts. Two free and one paid. I am slowly moving and closing all my gmail accounts. I use Duck Duck Go for my search and and Opera for my browser, with an additional free VPN account, on top of my paid NordVPN. Is my tin hat a bit too tight?

I'm not that paranoid lol... yet. I generally have nothing in my emails to warrant the extra caution though I do use axcrypt for sending secured files in the email, I detest using a service that works against my freedom or what remains of em, I moved my emails over to GMX and been using duckduck search engine most of the time now, browser is firefox and email app is thunderbird for the sole purpose of keeping hard copies on the computer and moving folders from one email account to another. Nothing is truly secured on the internet and because of that I don't communicate damaging information, if I get to the point I have to start dishing out money over than what I spend now to keep things safe online I'll go back to pen and paper and do my ordering the old fashioned way. Unfortunately the doctors require me to use the online portal for communication from appointment, test result etc... my auto registration is online, my bank statements are online etc.. even my auto insurance reduces my bill if I do everything online. The damn world has become fxxken lazy and impersonal!

Latest posts

Back