Life Lock

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPrepper

Demi-God
Reaction score
Does anyone here subscribe to Life Lock, or similar service? If so, what has been your experience? What do you think is the best way to protect your personal financial information?

Wife has lifelock and id theftsmart, has both of us protected from both services, she gets them from her employment, the lifelock has $1 million policy and one she signed for. I don't know much about them or whether they are worth it.

Last edited:
It's so bizarre that nowadays people's money is represented by bits of data stored on some remote server. Then if those bits get compromised someone's real life can be seriously messed up.

And bits of data are most definitely susceptible to being corrupted, both intentionally and by accident.

I was actually going to recommend against it. Mostly from the news about the govt fining them for making promises they couldn’t keep. No big deal, and all the protection you can get now days is a good thing. I simply froze my credit. Lots of people say that’s a pain when you want to take out a loan, (having to unlock it), but my reply is don’t borrow money to begin with and you will be a lot richer overall. Just curious, how much is it yearly to join?

I was actually going to recommend against it. Mostly from the news about the govt fining them for making promises they couldn’t keep. No big deal, and all the protection you can get now days is a good thing. I simply froze my credit. Lots of people say that’s a pain when you want to take out a loan, (having to unlock it), but my reply is don’t borrow money to begin with and you will be a lot richer overall. Just curious, how much is it yearly to join?

Well said. I too have lived on borrowed money in the past. It's much more fun to actually own things.

It’s $9, $19,$29 a month you pick your plan. I got the cheapest one. I heard there was a problem with them a long time ago, but I thought they got better?
I had heard about freezing your credit. I did that before a long time ago. It’s free but you have to remember to keep doing it.

It’s $9, $19,$29 a month you pick your plan. I got the cheapest one. I heard there was a problem with them a long time ago, but I thought they got better?
I had heard about freezing your credit. I did that before a long time ago. It’s free but you have to remember to keep doing it.
Mine is permanently frozen with the three credit monitor/companies. It is free to freeze it, but it costs three or four dollars if you want to unfreeze it, and you have to do that for each company as they don’t work together. Usually if you apply for a loan they will tell you which company they checked, then you just call and get a short ‘unfreeze’ so the bank can look at it. The bad side is you have to keep your PIN number for all three companies. If you loose it you’re kind of screwed. I’m sure you could get a new one eventually, but don’t loose it.....

Apparently the length of credit freeze varies by state. Some are just a short while, some seven yrs max, and some are indefinite. I think I should make some inquiries into mine to make sure it’s still in effect, thanks.

Apparently the length of credit freeze varies by state. Some are just a short while, some seven yrs max, and some are indefinite. I think I should make some inquiries into mine to make sure it’s still in effect, thanks.
When I did it, it was only good for 90 days.

These days, it's hard to function without some kind of credit. We often will do hotel stays and sometimes a rental car, etc., so you have to have it for that.

For most other things though, we just pay cash. If we don't have the cash, we don't get it. Pretty simple really. Our only current debt is our student loans, and the house...and that's enough. We still have stuff out there from some past mistakes, that we are working through though.

Your right, you do need some credit or your insurance rates are higher. My answer is I use credit for most purchases, I just ALWAYS pay it off each month and never float a balance.

Latest posts

Back