I have over 400 cans of tuna on hand

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeter

Banned
Reaction score
For me, tuna is one of the best foods to prep with. One reason is that I have two pet kittens, so if shit hits the fan, this tuna can feed both me and them for a year. The tuna also has water in it, so will help hydrate us.

The tuna has nearly a two year shelf life when I buy it. So a downside is that if I don't need the tuna within the next couple of years, I will likely have to replace my stock. This would cost me about $200.

Does anybody else use tuna as one of their primary food reserve items?

I hate tuna, but I think it makes for really good reserve food. Especially since you have cats.

Stocking mackerel (or actual cat food) for cats would be cheaper.....

Stocking mackerel (or actual cat food) for cats would be cheaper.....

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea on the shelf life of mackerel off hand? I enjoy eating it myself but would probably want to give it a trial run on the kittens to make sure they like it too.

i love my tuna..and i love my dogs...but good grief.i aint that well stocked on..LOL

Did you buy it all at once or over time?

I thought it sounded like a good idea so I just purchased 24 cans of salmon, and felt like a giant buffoon. I probably couldn't even carry 400!

I probably have ten cans of tuna currently in the pantry. It will most likely get donated to the food bank when it nears its expiration. I wish I liked the stuff, but every time I eat some I'm reminded I really don't like it. I do have about thirty cans of white chicken meat, and think it's awesome. You can mix it into just about anything. Only good thing I can think of with my tuna would be barter!

For me, tuna is one of the best foods to prep with. One reason is that I have two pet kittens, so if shit hits the fan, this tuna can feed both me and them for a year. The tuna also has water in it, so will help hydrate us.

The tuna has nearly a two year shelf life when I buy it. So a downside is that if I don't need the tuna within the next couple of years, I will likely have to replace my stock. This would cost me about $200.

Does anybody else use tuna as one of their primary food reserve items?

400 cans of tuna,,,wow,,,I can not stand tuna
,now chicken I love chicken and have been told if I don't stop eating so much of it I am going to start growing feathers,,,

I do not mind tuna fish. It is better fresh, though.

At least there are a lot of recipes in which you can use your tuna, Skeeter. An old friend of mine likes to make a concoction of tuna noodle casserole, and even mixes in some green peas with it like some sort of heathen!

Canned mackerel has a stated shelf life of 3 years past canning date.

Of course, most canned foods have a stated shelf life of 1 year, but are generally edible about 3 years past that. (though they may taste off).

Canned mackerel has a stated shelf life of 3 years past canning date.

Of course, most canned foods have a stated shelf life of 1 year, but are generally edible about 3 years past that. (though they may taste off).

Damn, three years is pretty good. That would give me plenty of time to find a suitable food supply post-SHTF. Plus I may not have to restock as often as I do with my tuna.

I have about 150 cans.. most packed in water, some packed in oil.

We eat about one can every week.

Latest posts

Back