H Bandage...a must for your kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doc pops,
thanks, 'cause we have a shop that sells those bandages to half price 'cause of that date, have a few of them already but could get some more
Never can have to many med supplies. They go way faster than people realize. And when they can't be bought! Well, that would be scarry. .

i have 2 kendall kerlix large roll 6 ply 4.5in x 4.1 yard stretched (gauze)

and i also have 1 kerlix sponges 16 ply 4" x 4" compressed
and their all in a plastic container/tube with a peel back top.
im wondering,is this.is it better to leave as is? or is it alright to take them out and put them into zip lock bags for smaller storage area?
The H&H bandage is awesome I wish we had some on our units. However we have an old medical director " retired " and he just can't see it. I say that to say this, they are fairly expensive. So if you can't afford them try this. Throw some 4×4s on the LAC and wind it up with Ace bandage. When you go over the LAC twist the Ace just make sure you have pulses distal (beyond) the bandage, this will keep you from having a problem you will probably never be able to manage in a SHTF world. The distal pulses is also true with the H&H bandage or any that you would use. I just add this info for one reason, this is the reason.
When protocols are written they are written for the most exempt paramedic employed by the Service. And H&H bandage or any other pressure bandage if one is not careful they can be turned into a turniquet (TK/TQ). If a TK is used one should remember to put TIME, DATE and TK/TQ on the PTs forehead, if the TK is left in pla e cor to long in a grid down world the distal limb will die along with the rest of the PT. If one is going to be releasing the TK, sodium bicarbonate May be needed to keep PT from going into dysrhythmias. Or be released so blood flow can return and then be reapplied. Some research to see how to do this. People have said don't use a TK or use as a last resort, because it will do more damage than good. Funny the first thing done after a PT is sedated is put on a TK and a timer started.
Ok enough of my rant.
Good luck, be safe, God bless.

useful input doc pops!!
think that 6 euros/9 bucks spent per bandage is fairly nice, if I had the money I would buy enough to fill a larger medical bag with them

a quick one; if tha bandage is sterilized with gammaradiation, whtever it means,propably kill all germs, and there's an exp.dat.
if tha package is intact and no seal broken is it safe to use after that date?

Here is my take on sterility in the field. The manufacture is required to place an expiration date on any sterile packing for not only rotation purposes, but because of accreditation purposes, the standard is that it must have a end use or sterile date. Prior to Joint Accreditation and other U.S compliance inspections and the insurance game...that has caused high cost of insurance and hospitalization charges...it was unheard of back then to have field bandages to have them...in fact, if the primary packing was not punctured from being in the field kit and uncompromised, it was considered safe. With the new types of bandages such as Celox, the product may still be safe to use, but overtime- the primary activation ingredients may deteriorate over time and may not do the job as it intended. I've had discussions with company representatives regarding the usage and most will not comment officially. So its a choice issue.

As Doc pops commented, would I use them in the field, heck yes...sure beats using the field expedients stuff that some do advocate like a rag...I know their are many that will refute it, but too me if I am dealing with a commercial packing end date versus something out from the wife's rag pile...I'd opt for the grade stuff. I would offer if your still leaning toward the home-made stuff, then consider getting some of the commercial grade level diapers, they are sterile, but they are sanitized, seal them up with your food saver and then date them. Anyone from the 50-60's before Pampers was invented will attest to their absorbing qualities, might need to change them more often. Also, since I introduced the word Pampers..these are acceptable too as a field expedient item, opt for the unscented ones though.

Latest posts

Back