H Bandage...a must for your kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Another product review for those that are fairly newcomers and need to outfit your personal individual med kit. Here is one that I make sure all my team members maintain in their IFK or first aid kit. I actually have each leader maintain one in their vest. They are simple to stow and can fit inside a cargo pocket. This is known as the H bandage for most war fighters and the H bandage has become a standard issue item not only in IFK's, but now part of EMS response kits. They may come from different producers, but the end result of the H bandage is that it can place increased direct pressure to the wound site, allowing the bodies clotting abilities to help stem the loss of blood at a wound site. I personally on a very large wound, use a 1) Olaes Modular bandage and then over the top of the Olaes, 2) place a H bandage to add more direct pressure to the wound site. For a gaping wound or large gun shot wound, this besides using a TK-4 tourniquet will slow down the bleeding enough for you to get the person to a medical professional. Please note the H bandage comes as a regular or thin model. The thin models are great for treating children. Also H bandages have veterinary use for horses who experience a wound and need treatment. The H bandage will place enough pressure and prevent the bandage from moving from the wound site. Hence its great advantage in veterinary medicine care.

At a minimum if your loading your first aid kit, you should consider these bandages
1) a Regular H bandage
2) 1 Olaes Modular bandage
3) 1 Six inch Israeli bandage
4) 1 Four inch Israeli bandage
5) A triangular bandage
6) 2 or 3 Compressed Gauze

I typically load out in my trauma bag and in my IFK's, a sealed kit that includes 1 H bandage, s 6 inch Israeli bandage, 1 compressed gauze, a Quickclot gauze, 1 gm of Quickclot ampule, an a pair of nitrile gloves with two strips (4 inches cut medical tape) all placed in a ziploc bag (marked as Bleeder Kit).

Others contributors may have other ideas, but this has worked for me over the years. In the military when I had access, this was already prepackaged load out in my trauma bag.

I've added some commercial videos for people who have no experience in using the H-bandage. I recommend buying one off Ebay that has an expired shelf life and use it for training. Speed is of essence when placing these bandages on the wound site, during combat medicine exercise training, I mix Corn Syrup and Canola oil to simulate the challenges of blood, soak my trainees gloved hands in it and also the wound site that is being used for training. I also add a small electric pump and hose at the wound site to add a arterial bleed out, just to complicate the matters and give hands on experience. Those with EMT access may have access to true training apparatus, just remember you work with what you have.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...+video&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...at=arts+culture+and+entertainment&age=0&&tt=b

Attachments

• HBandage1_1024x1024.jpg
    HBandage1_1024x1024.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 9
Another excellent post. I'm going to have a good quality med kit in a few months using all these threads...
Thanks Shadow, I try and let you and the others talk about weapons, always enjoy the threads you post too. I am getting my kid to teach me how to produce quality videos through the computer. Not there yet, but eventually want to start posting some, especially when we do training videos.

My wife tells me I'm too focused on security, and I can't disagree; there's definitely a cool factor to working on one's own bad-assery. It's important to be well-rounded, though, and that's why I love this forum. There's so much good information to be had because everyone here has different wells of experience to draw from.

Looking forward to your videos in the future.

My wife tells me I'm too focused on security, and I can't disagree; there's definitely a cool factor to working on one's own bad-assery. It's important to be well-rounded, though, and that's why I love this forum. There's so much good information to be had because everyone here has different wells of experience to draw from.

Looking forward to your videos in the future.

Actually I appreciate those who write about weapons and communication. I really had hoped that Warriorhealer22 or Doc Pops would join on the threads I created. I think it would be helpful to get some other peoples feedback. I've been away from clinical medicine for about 4 years now, except for attending a few conferences at Center for Disease Control and D.C, the few Wilderness EMT seminars that I've attended, I am pretty much exposed only to the online training seminars. I do have a friend who works in the Emergency Management contract sales area, so he keeps me posted on the latest stuff and another acquaintance works at Nattick Laborttories, but so many of us are getting up in age, that they are retiring.

I have to agree with your wife, being well rounded is a big plus. I enjoy chatting with Jim and Danil54grl because they work farms. I am the first to seek out anyone who knows anything about sustainment farming. I enjoy Danil54grl talk about her goats and animals. I enjoy watching Roninsensei put things out anout his dog training and well as far as Communication...anytime Pottercounty or Clyde put things out there...I start copying their thread and reread it. So you can say, I learn from all of you. I like to contribute because I feel I owe something to the community, just like if we all were together when the SHTF, we all need to bring our skills to the event. I guess we are fortunate to be members of Clyde's site and yes I enjoy it as well like you.

As far as tactics and stuff, when it comes to the event, I've had to rethink things a bit, your going to have to learn to be your own force multiplier, more or less take the advantage of surprise and size away from the OPFOR. As my late father said, your going to have to get down and dirty like "the old Jungle Warfare fighters of old". I didn't get that, until I read a thread on APN from a Vietnam vet. Then everything hit home about SHTF combat. Most of the vets with combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan had technology working for us, we had better weapons, we had the eye in the sky intel, we had force of arms far superior and we had control of the air, yet we at times were held at bay by some simple tactics. So those combat vets who learned to use all those skills will need to reevaluate their thought process a bit because those things will not be available, short of them raiding an armory. I've worked with all the services, my wife say's I am in love with the Corps, I guess my time with them, made me a believer, a good Marine leader knew how to get the most out of his equipment. I had a discussion with an old Marine on another site, brought back good memories with my time TDY and my tour with them in First Gulf War and in Iraq. So guess that is why my wife comments hit home (to be honest her cousin and his son (still on active duty) are Marines.

As for releaning stuff, I wrote in my diary all the time while I was deployed, I pulled them all out and reread them one weekend, as I said to a friend, I tried to forget it all after I got out. But now have begun to hon my skills more, granted I sure wish I was lean like I was in my early 20's, but the skills they are still there and I am passing to my son and a few others who want to learn. Granted I think the best part of the site is learning from the others. I rode a bike once, but am not a skilled rider that is an expert and that is how I apply my experiences to my son and those that learn from me.

All of what we put on this site, hit home the other night from a mutual friend...it sorta hit home, she said, she didn't know if the event will hit soon or later, but it it doesn't she will be able to pass her knowledge and things on to her kids. That was very profound for me, I've tried to include my kids, but like all children today, they are caught up with thier Iphones and computers. Granted my son enjoys the time, when we go out to fire the weapons and I tap him on the shoulder noting his marksmanship. Hate to brag, but this is one of those Dad moments. The first time, he fired a weapon was when his uncle visited (uncle lives in Montana, is a long-time hunter and has had a gun either in the truck or in the house for close to 45 years), so we gave Uncle the FN-FAL, uncle kept missing the target, my son says "Uncle you must be having an off day, Uncles says no its these assault guns, I don't like them, like my hunting rifle...so son take the weapon from him, gets down prone and pumps out 10 rounds without any instruction on how to use iron sights, all but 1 hit the target center. Son gets up and hands gun back to Uncle and says' well it was the windage or your math skills. Since that day, son just reads the weapons manual and says he is ready to go fire. I now sleep well at night knowing he can throw iron down range.

Well hope you have a great day.

that H-bandage reminds me slighly of the finnish FEB9 bandage,you wanna check it out, just punch in FEB9 on youtube,bought a few of those for my medkit.
guess if that was around when I did my service??

Last edited:
I have yet to see anything bandage wise that I cant do with duct tape, plastic wrap and feminine products. I seems over kill to keep specialty bandages for everything. My pack feels heavier just thinking about it.

I have yet to see anything bandage wise that I cant do with duct tape, plastic wrap and feminine products. I seems over kill to keep specialty bandages for everything. My pack feels heavier just thinking about it.

Ronin,

I don't disagree your selection of field supplies, in fact I keep some of the same products just for those instances, since they are far cheaper. Additionally, when I use to train field medics in the military, I use to have my students list suitable replacements that are not standard medical supplies. I'm sure you would agree their are tons of replacements that we can find at the Dollar General or Walmart.

But as a standard battle kit, our medical team and our members agreed to standardize their IFAK's. Additionally, I typically pack my everyday rig with my trauma kit since I am still a registered nurse. Also, I am the range safety officer when we go out to the firing range and I've provided medical care at shooting matches for a friend of mine. I do travel back and forth to see my daughter who is in college in West Texas. The 3 hour drive is typically uneventful, but their is no treatment facility for about 80 miles on a stretch of road. I've used the trauma bag on a few cases the last couple of years. Texas is a hit or miss when it comes to medical care facilities.

Also, while I know you can use the same material for your animals, the smaller H bandage is really a suitable vet care product for upper thigh injuries on wounded dogs.

Regards, thanks for the post.

that H-bandage reminds me slighly of the finnish FEB9 bandage,you wanna check it out, just punch in FEB9 on youtube,bought a few of those for my medkit.
guess if that was around when I did my service??

Jontte,

I will need to check that product out. Not sure if I will ever find one here in the U.S., but maybe try and grab one off Ebay, just to test one out. You know me and the gadgets.

kinda know by now my friend,hey if you like what you see, maybe I can send one to you by mail??

There is no doubt that feminine products work and work well to stanch blood, as well as the use of dippers, incontinence pads. The thing with H bandage, Israeli bandage is "it is all there" in emergency medicine time is blood, muscle, heart, tissue loss. Stop blood loss is Paramount in field craft for a medic.
In a grid down situation IV fluids are GOLD, and even now there is a (NS) Normal Saline shortage nation wide. We are throwing in an IV with a saline lock for veinous access, in case we need to flow fluids or meds.
On a adult male the most IV fluids you can infuse is 3L NS or LR before you make the blood coolaid and defeat the O2 & glucose carrying abilities of the blood. Also noting that the medic has to auscultate lung sounds for fluid over load.
Oops, got a little off tract¡ these bandages are one package, has material to help with the clotting cascade as well as the ability of using direct pressure, fast and easy to use. If you are real slick on an arm/hand amputation they can be used as a tourniquet as well, by rolling the absorbing material and placing over the artery, a few wraps and a windlist. I guess the best thing is one pkg will stop most bleeding, and stop it now so you and your PT can move on to more important things, the next PT,fire fight, or exfill. However! IT IS WHAT IT IS!
If you have use it, if you don't improvise. Paracord works in a pinch as well as the cotton belt once issued.
OK nuff said!!
Good luck, be safe, and God bless
P.S. I have been BZ, no time to play on the pad! Going backwards at 80 or 120 mph, ground or air respectfully! Two jobs and a 94 Y/O toddler= no play time. A week off yeaaaaa!

There is no doubt that feminine products work and work well to stanch blood, as well as the use of dippers, incontinence pads. The thing with H bandage, Israeli bandage is "it is all there" in emergency medicine time is blood, muscle, heart, tissue loss. Stop blood loss is Paramount in field craft for a medic.
In a grid down situation IV fluids are GOLD, and even now there is a (NS) Normal Saline shortage nation wide. We are throwing in an IV with a saline lock for veinous access, in case we need to flow fluids or meds.
On a adult male the most IV fluids you can infuse is 3L NS or LR before you make the blood coolaid and defeat the O2 & glucose carrying abilities of the blood. Also noting that the medic has to auscultate lung sounds for fluid over load.
Oops, got a little off tract¡ these bandages are one package, has material to help with the clotting cascade as well as the ability of using direct pressure, fast and easy to use. If you are real slick on an arm/hand amputation they can be used as a tourniquet as well, by rolling the absorbing material and placing over the artery, a few wraps and a windlist. I guess the best thing is one pkg will stop most bleeding, and stop it now so you and your PT can move on to more important things, the next PT,fire fight, or exfill. However! IT IS WHAT IT IS!
If you have use it, if you don't improvise. Paracord works in a pinch as well as the cotton belt once issued.
OK nuff said!!
Good luck, be safe, and God bless
P.S. I have been BZ, no time to play on the pad! Going backwards at 80 or 120 mph, ground or air respectfully! Two jobs and a 94 Y/O toddler= no play time. A week off yeaaaaa!

You be safe, Doc Pops...think you need a vacation...later...again thanks for the info.

i have 2 kendall kerlix large roll 6 ply 4.5in x 4.1 yard stretched (gauze)

and i also have 1 kerlix sponges 16 ply 4" x 4" compressed
and their all in a plastic container/tube with a peel back top.
im wondering,is this.is it better to leave as is? or is it alright to take them out and put them into zip lock bags for smaller storage area?

i have 2 kendall kerlix large roll 6 ply 4.5in x 4.1 yard stretched (gauze)

and i also have 1 kerlix sponges 16 ply 4" x 4" compressed
and their all in a plastic container/tube with a peel back top.
im wondering,is this.is it better to leave as is? or is it alright to take them out and put them into zip lock bags for smaller storage area?
The biggest thing is it water proof/resistant. I use a lot of high quality zip locks to store some of what I call expendables, (because I/we replace them often) that said I also use more expensive vacuumable zip lock bags for my bag if it will have a chance of a lot of rain or submersion. Space and weight is always at a premium in a medical, bug out, auto/bag.
Good luck, be safe, God bless.

a quick one; if tha bandage is sterilized with gammaradiation, whtever it means,propably kill all germs, and there's an exp.dat.
if tha package is intact and no seal broken is it safe to use after that date?

what their in at time.is most and likely water proof up to a point..the zip bags they'll go in is everyday zip lock bags that can be bought at everyday stores like wal mart...

i have no idea to sterilize them,when it comes to them.and what i have on hand...unless a microwave will do that..

a quick one; if tha bandage is sterilized with gammaradiation, whtever it means,propably kill all germs, and there's an exp.dat.
if tha package is intact and no seal broken is it safe to use after that date?
The expriation date is only the time that the mtg. will guarantee the content to be sterial. Would I have I the military used them after expiration date, the answer is yes. I have often wondered how a piece of cloth, or plastic could be safe today at 1259PM and at 100am tomorrow no longer good !?! Lol. There is a program called SLEP, Shelf Life Extension Program. If you Google it you may be able to find it 2 or 3 pages back in the search.
Good luck, be safe, God bless.

doc pops,
thanks, 'cause we have a shop that sells those bandages to half price 'cause of that date, have a few of them already but could get some more

what their in at time.is most and likely water proof up to a point..the zip bags they'll go in is everyday zip lock bags that can be bought at everyday stores like wal mart...

i have no idea to sterilize them,when it comes to them.and what i have on hand...unless a microwave will do that..
Ok this is the point I try to get through to a lot of those I talk with on sterility. We don't and probably won't work in a sterilize environment. However we can work in a sanitized one. We need unsented bleach, alcohol, moonshine, providing-iodine, to do this.
Please don't take this as a smart ### answer it is not ment that way.
We can get the surface of our equipment, towels, body parts sanitized with boiling, or chemicals. Another one that is used and most people don't know about is Chlorhexidine diacetate, when the nurse breaks open that little sponge looking thingy that has this chemical on it it is making the skin as sanitized as possibly for a culture.
Just some food for thought, and some where to start.
Good luck be safe, Gob bless.

Latest posts

Back