Getting your Xmas shopping done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to use Cream of Mushroom soup to thicken gravies, especially the Campbell's one with garlic and herbs. I've used corn starch before too, but the former is just easier.

I like to use Cream of Mushroom soup to thicken gravies, especially the Campbell's one with garlic and herbs. I've used corn starch before too, but the former is just easier.

Daughter can't eat any of those. They all have hidden ingredients that contain grain. They are disguised under funky names. It's safer to do cooking from scratch when possible. It's a pain. No one loves food more than she. She actually has a food blog.

My daughter's boyfriend is gluten intolerant so I have been experimenting with gluten free recipies. One I haven't tried yet is gluten free country fried venison. I think maybe a mixture of cornstarch and buckwheat flour might work for the batter, or possibly just straight buckwheat flour.

I finished mine today. Hunny likes to wait till last minute but it drives me crazy! Tomorrow I need to hit the grocery store to finish up with holiday cooking. I need nuts but I got a surprise of a party on Saturday after I get off from work and need to pick up a few things to make egg rolls, and I thought I would also pick up some chicken wings. Saturday is a party for my mom and her new husbands birthday. They share the same date of the 23rd. Since I did not plant a fall garden I will have to buy some cabbage and carrots along with eggroll wraps and little smokies. I work on Saturday getting off at 2. Come home to make eggrolls and little smokies then feed and get to party at 6. I will not be staying long, maybe a couple hours simce I have to get up early again for Sunday to get to work. The gift baskets for the new siblings for exchange that night have been made today. They are getting homemade gift baskets, . . . Cowboy and Peanut butter cookies, Chex Mix, Mayhaw jelly, Christmas candy and a couple holiday mugs I picked up at work for 75 cents. Yes, I'm cheap. I know the family, but yet I don't really know them so I figured food would be the best option.

I finished mine today. Hunny likes to wait till last minute but it drives me crazy! Tomorrow I need to hit the grocery store to finish up with holiday cooking. I need nuts but I got a surprise of a party on Saturday after I get off from work and need to pick up a few things to make egg rolls, and I thought I would also pick up some chicken wings. Saturday is a party for my mom and her new husbands birthday. They share the same date of the 23rd. Since I did not plant a fall garden I will have to buy some cabbage and carrots along with eggroll wraps and little smokies. I work on Saturday getting off at 2. Come home to make eggrolls and little smokies then feed and get to party at 6. I will not be staying long, maybe a couple hours simce I have to get up early again for Sunday to get to work. The gift baskets for the new siblings for exchange that night have been made today. They are getting homemade gift baskets, . . . Cowboy and Peanut butter cookies, Chex Mix, Mayhaw jelly, Christmas candy and a couple holiday mugs I picked up at work for 75 cents. Yes, I'm cheap. I know the family, but yet I don't really know them so I figured food would be the best option.
I can pretty much buy anything I want, and more importantly I know what I like better than anybody. I appreciate something someone spent a little time and thought on much more than something they just spent money on. Food is high on my list too!

Well I can appreciate homemade gifts so much more than store bought myself. My biggest heart felt gifts are going to the youngest son and my mom. I know son will love since I always get the what do I have to do to get a quilt, but mom. . . well she expects perfect and I am far from a perfect kind of gal. I am just hopeful she is accepting of my good enough.

Well i got my shopping done..got pementos for xmass hush puppies. Got jalapeños i'll be adding to um as well.

well I have all my shopping done,a few things will be late but that is ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I got everything I wanted,,,,,for me
I bought myself a couple things too. No one knows what I like more than I do! Mostly though it was satisfying to know I was going to make some that I care about happy.

You can buy the bagged cole slaw mix for egg rolls. Much easier.

No it didn't. On account i didn't get.lol

I sat down in front of my desktop PC. And printed out a corn bread recipe. and a hush puppy recipe.i'll be takeing a big batch of hush puppies with me,to go with xmas dinner.

This year's gingerbread house
20181224_134719.jpg

Daughter can't eat any of those. They all have hidden ingredients that contain grain. They are disguised under funky names. It's safer to do cooking from scratch when possible. It's a pain. No one loves food more than she. She actually has a food blog.

Now, there are a LOT more gluten free options, so should check into it. Often, cooking from scratch can be a bit overrated. (and far more inconsistent). At least from personal experience. I'm much more a fan of doctoring up using more convenient ingredients. One difference though, is I prefer to use fresh over frozen or canned veggies. They just taste better. (though an exception for green beans, which are easier canned...but we add diced onion and diced bacon, a little minced garlic, etc.).

Back