Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never frozen my seeds. Wasn’t quite sure about it. Every year I buy more seeds and throw out the ones that are too old...according to how long that particular seed type is supposed last. Also do some germination testing in late winter. My seeds are stored in Mason jars with plastic lids in a dark cool place year round. Also only buy heirloom seeds and have weeded out the ones I do not like or didn’t do well. Need to get better at keeping my own. So far I’ve only done that for 5 different type vegetables. There are a lot of seeds, but I figure neighbors will need them in a crisis and I want years worth of seeds for our group.

What are the ins and outs of freezing seeds?
I’ve been freezing all my seeds for a long time and they do great. Everything I’ve read says they will last way longer. One thing to know is don’t freeze, thaw and refreze too many times.

That was probably a smart move ;). The older I get the more my back feels all the heavy hauling and tilling I do. I did try the lasagna layer a few years back and weeds in those beds were far fewer, but it was hard for me to come by that much cardboard to do every bed in my garden. I went back to what I normally do since I know that it works for me. I will say, I am not sure how many more years I will be able to keep up with how I am currently gardening though. I have some back problems and my hunny doesn't do any of it because of his blown disks, back spurs, and surgeries. Change is hard for me but I also know there are other ways to do things and maybe one day I will step out of my little box world. Once I get things set, the rest of the season is not bad at all. . . It's just getting to that point.

Squash bugs love living under cardboard

Just saw this! Thank you for sharing your knowledge DD!
Ive never frozen my seeds. Wasn’t quite sure about it. Every year I buy more seeds and throw out the ones that are too old...according to how long that particular seed type is supposed last. Also do some germination testing in late winter. My seeds are stored in Mason jars with plastic lids in a dark cool place year round. Also only buy heirloom seeds and have weeded out the ones I do not like or didn’t do well. Need to get better at keeping my own. So far I’ve only done that for 5 different type vegetables. There are a lot of seeds, but I figure neighbors will need them in a crisis and I want years worth of seeds for our group.

What are the ins and outs of freezing seeds?

I dry the seeds well. Just air dry. Never heat seeds. If seeds are moist and sealed they will either mold or sprout. After my seeds are dried I store mine in vacuum sealed food bags. From there I put them in small styrofoam ice chests and freeze. My seeds have lasted for years that way. I have 1 chest of cool weather seeds (early spring and fall plantings. peas, lettuces, beets, turnips, greens cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale. The other chest has summer seeds corn, bean, squash, tomatoes, etc. I take the seeds that I need out plant and refreeze any leftovers immediately. I do date my seeds. Many of my seeds I have grown and saved seeds from for decades. I do treat myself to new ones sometimes to try. There are lots of different methods out there find what works for you.

Last edited:
I got tomatoes and cucumbers and I'm planting them in pots outside my apartment. I also have some herbs I'm going to put on the windowsill. I've never done a garden in pots before so we will see how this goes.
The main thing in pots is to stay on top of keeping them watered. Pots tend to dry out quick and shock the plants easily.

Tomato seeds are the tricky seeds to save.

Actually that should be quite the opposite. Tomato seeds can go through the human body in feces and still sprout. They are super hard to kill in a compost pile without building and maintaining a hot pile. Tomato seeds need to be soaked in water almost like fermenting. They have a gelatinous coating around them. When you ferment you break down that coating. The trash will float to the top and the seeds to the bottom. Take the trash off the top. Strain the seeds and dry. Properly dried and frozen they should last for years.

There were some extinct strains of palm tree that have grown from seed 2,000 years old.

One tree in Jerusalem was sprouted from a seed taken from Herod's palace (yes, the same Herod in the New Testament).

I would suppose that if one wants to refrigerate seed, it should be stored in rice first to suck up all the moisture.

This way, frost won't damage the anatomy of the seed with ice crystals.

There were some extinct strains of palm tree that have grown from seed 2,000 years old.

One tree in Jerusalem was sprouted from a seed taken from Herod's palace (yes, the same Herod in the New Testament).

I would suppose that if one wants to refrigerate seed, it should be stored in rice first to suck up all the moisture.

Nope don't over think it. I have been in a pinch and just thrown in a ziploc and stuck in the freezer and forgot. Found a year or two later and they still grow. Nature is truly a miraculous thing. Think about a bird eating a seed, poops it out. It freezes and thaws in the wet ground all winter and still sprouts. If it is a weed in my garden it still sprouts 7 damn years later. Keep it simple. Eat the rice.

Last edited:

I haven’t noticed any declines in the germination rate with just using a ziplock baggy. Having them dry isn’t a bad idea though

Actually that should be quite the opposite. Tomato seeds can go through the human body in feces and still sprout. They are super hard to kill in a compost pile without building and maintaining a hot pile. Tomato seeds need to be soaked in water almost like fermenting. They have a gelatinous coating around them. When you ferment you break down that coating. The trash will float to the top and the seeds to the bottom. Take the trash off the top. Strain the seeds and dry. Properly dried and frozen they should last for years.

I meant that the preparation is tricky and time consuming. The soaking, skimming, fermenting, etc are not as easy as other seeds. I am not making myself clear these days. I'm expecting people to read my mind.

I meant that the preparation is tricky and time consuming. The soaking, skimming, fermenting, etc are not as easy as other seeds. I am not making myself clear these days. I'm expecting people to read my mind.

I struggle with sweet pepper seeds. They don't always grow well up here because we don't get the heat up here that you do in the valley. They are a heat loving plant. They also don't want to germinate. Pepper seeds are notorious for only keeping for 1 year also. I have started just ordering them every year fresh and I don't even try to save them. The best crop I ever had here I just bought one in the grocery store cut it open and planted the seeds green. Had a bumper crop that year along with a hot dry season.

My containers require water at least twice per day during mid-summer. I use the container soil that retains water.
I got containers that have a "reservoir" in the tray at the bottom of the pot. Once it gets really hot I plan to water them before I leave for work in the morning and once I get back in the evening. I am also thinking getting some type of mulch to cover the soil. We always used thick layers of pine straw mulch all over our garden growing up (there was no shortage of that in southern MS). This helped a lot with keeping the soil moist and keeping weeds down. I don't know if this concept would work for potted plants too.

I struggle with sweet pepper seeds. They don't always grow well up here because we don't get the heat up here that you do in the valley. They are a heat loving plant. They also don't want to germinate. Pepper seeds are notorious for only keeping for 1 year also. I have started just ordering them every year fresh and I don't even try to save them. The best crop I ever had here I just bought one in the grocery store cut it open and planted the seeds green. Had a bumper crop that year along with a hot dry season.

Pepper is another one of those night shade vegetables. I can grow hot peppers without problem, but sweet bell peppers are different. They are always small and deformed.

maybe I lucked out that year. I had a great crop of patty squash, tomatoes and peppers in the rows I did. :)I haven't tried the peroxide but I used to do cows milk for powdery mildew when I was milking Betsey. I had the prettiest cucumbers using that.

I use powdered milk. I also use Epsom Salt.

I use pine mulch for my walkways. Just go out into my woods and take up by the trailor load. Only problem is that it can make your soil have too much acid in the ph level, but for the most part I have alkaline soil where my walkways are so I really don't worry about it much. For my raised beds I use mulch from the county dump made from tree branch's picked up in the city.

I wouldn't think you would have too many problems with a small amount in pots. I would give it a try if that was all I had. But if you could find some dead leaves I think that would work better for you.

Latest posts

Back