Electric vehicles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I speak out in favor of electric vehicles. I think it’s stupid not to consider them. I think mandates are wrong. Let the market decide

After loving my battery powered drill, saw, hand tools. I saw a light.

After my gas powered blower, chain saw, trimmer, hand mower, etc started to die after 10 years I switched to a battery powered. All on the same battery system. 10 year old blower and chain saw still working. Maybe not the original batteries. Trimmers I have gone through a couple.

My point is there are some advantages to them. Chain saw for example Quieter, dont smell like gas when i am done, I actually prefer it. Same with trimmers

I am not in favor from an environmental standpoint but from a use standpoint.

Same thought process goes for a car. Would we have bought a second one if the first was that bad. No oil change, no brake changes (motor slows them down), they are tougher on tires because of weight. Maintenance in 5 years tires and wiper fluid. It was out of the 4 yr Bumper to Bumper and still had 3yr on the battery. We just wanted to extend a car life out further into her retirement and have it paid off.

Same thought process goes for a car. Would we have bought a second one if the first was that bad. No oil change, no brake changes (motor slows them down), they are tougher on tires because of weight. Maintenance in 5 years tires and wiper fluid. It was out of the 4 yr Bumper to Bumper and still had 3yr on the battery. We just wanted to extend a car life out further into her retirement and have it paid off.
Get back to me in another 10 years and let's compare notes on how our vehicles are still doing. Mine will be 28 years old by then, but I'll spot you the difference. :)

The problem with electric cars is not the electricity, it's the batteries. If they ever crack that nut EVs can take off.
But the best solution I see is use something other than a battery for the electricity, like a hydrogen fuel cell. Actually, you could think of a fuel cell as a battery with hydrogen as the electrolyte. Since the only byproduct of the reaction is water vapor, you can just vent it to the atmosphere.

Get back to me in another 10 years and let's compare notes on how our vehicles are still doing. Mine will be 28 years old by then, but I'll spot you the difference. :)
Thats a deal.
Already put a new set of tires on my 2020 diesel at 15k.
Typical for the crap they put on mopars out of the factory. 150 for filters and oil which i did myself Dealer price for 15K service 1500. Let‘s throw that into the mix to be interesting. I am at 22k miles with that Truck.

6 recalls that I have to take it in for. Her has had 3 since June. All covered over the net. I will be more than fair. Loss of my truck $100 a day for a Each time its in?
Toyotas are uncomfortable for me to drive If they are good for you fine. Drove one too many years because my wife loved her LC. I could drive it between rest areas before cramping up. A 3/4 ton was my saving grace, I need it.
Still want me to get back?

Thats a deal.
Already put a new set of tires on my 2020 diesel at 15k.
Typical for the crap they put on mopars out of the factory. 150 for filters and oil which i did myself Dealer price for 15K service 1500. Let‘s throw that into the mix to be interesting. I am at 22k miles with that Truck.

6 recalls that I have to take it in for. Her has had 3 since June. All covered over the net. I will be more than fair. Loss of my truck $100 a day for a Each time its in?
Toyotas are uncomfortable for me to drive If they are good for you fine. Drove one too many years because my wife loved her LC. I could drive it between rest areas before cramping up. A 3/4 ton was my saving grace, I need it.
Still want me to get back?
Talking about your EV not your diesel...because that's what you were talking about...vs my 2006 Tundra.
We did have some problems with the Toyota seats at one time. My wife's first 4Runner hurt her back and hips to drive. But the one she has now does not, and I'm comfortable driving it long distance too. My 2006 Tundra is a base cab with old fashioned manual bench seat. It used to be very comfortable to drive long distance but I think I need to get it restuffed.

I lived very near GMs hydrogen tech center. Their problem was infrastructure Only got it in out of the way spots like town highway barns to do the test from ROC to NYC.
To put a hydrogen tank in every gas station is an issue
There will have to be an infrastructure, sure. If Obama had not killed the Hydrogen Fuel Initiative we would have one by now.

I thought I would throw the diesel costs in as a comparative. The Maintenance cost are more than my EV. Both relatively new vehicles. Thought it was a fair comparison.
The LC as much as it was a 70k 2000 vehicle and she loved it was a POS for me to drive I probably put 100k on it. Guy we sold it to made into a rock crawler mini monster truck
Restuffing the seats wouldnt have worked, her FJ replacement is just as uncomfortable to me. So a Tundra to a Tacoma.
Even before the Obama days, the Hydrogen thing looked doomed. And that’s coming from an area that had several thousand people working on it,

My F250 is 27 years old, and I've never had to do a single repair on it. It's used as a ranch truck pulling heavy loads of hay, cattle and equipment. I take care of all my equipment.
I like cordless tools. I'd also like to get a cordless chainsaw to carry when we're out somewhere. A cordless chainsaw, like an electric car, has its place in some small areas. I don't see a cordless saw being much use when cutting 8 or 9 cords of firewood, and many of the logs are 18 - 36" diameter.
EV'S may have a place in certain applications, and everyone is free to buy one, but I am absolutely opposed to government mandates and government subsides. The free market will decide.

Ot's an business like the whole "save-the-universe" crap. An billion $, €, £ or whatever business.
First the tell us to buy gasoline cars. As most had one they told us to buy diesel cars because it's better for the nature. As most bought one they told to buy EV's to save the universe climate. Too bad, wasn't work really. So (at least in Europe) all new cars have to be EV's from 2030 onwards. Yeah of course, if the market dosn't work the politics have to help.
And i'm very sure if the most have an EV the they come out with something new to save anything else - but sure to save the own business and the politicans wallet.

I don't know why the masses don't get the "leaders" just wanna take their money, values, thoughts and the whole control about their whole life from birth to grave. Or may Soylent Green becomes real, another few billions to claim? And if they get it - the people just let it happen. And too many cry "Heil" and follow their own butchers.

How long it needs until the people fight back?

My F250 is 27 years old, and I've never had to do a single repair on it. It's used as a ranch truck pulling heavy loads of hay, cattle and equipment. I take care of all my equipment.
I like cordless tools. I'd also like to get a cordless chainsaw to carry when we're out somewhere. A cordless chainsaw, like an electric car, has its place in some small areas. I don't see a cordless saw being much use when cutting 8 or 9 cords of firewood, and many of the logs are 18 - 36" diameter.
EV'S may have a place in certain applications, and everyone is free to buy one, but I am absolutely opposed to government mandates and government subsides. The free market will decide.
A disadvantage of a battery chainsaw in a vehicle is the bar oil is still needed. It leaks
We both carry a battery reciprocating saw with a long blade in the vehicles.
I cut a tractor bucket or 2 and then bring it back to the splitter. A 21 inch bar is the same whether gas of battery

A disadvantage of a battery chainsaw in a vehicle is the bar oil is still needed. It leaks
We both carry a battery reciprocating saw with a long blade in the vehicles.
I cut a tractor bucket or 2 and then bring it back to the splitter. A 21 inch bar is the same whether gas of battery
Bar length is the same whether electric or gas, but that's where the similarities end. Electric won't last very long cutting through 30+ inch doug fir logs.
I'm still planing on getting a battery powered chain saw to carry in our vehicles for cutting a fallen tree on the road or cutting camp wood.
I generally cut down trees for firewood and skid the whole log up to the house, usually from a mile or two away. Then cut, split and stack it in the wood shed. We go through over a cord per month, so cutting firewood is a big job. And of course I use the best tools for the job.

1711830459815.png

Latest posts

Back