Do you think a "military uniform outfit" is required?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exception of my suit that I wear to weddings and funerals, I never wear any pants other than cargo pants. I prefer to wear shirts that have two pockets with flaps. I try to keep the color combinations such that it doesn't look like a uniform though. I only wear 100% cotton.

I generally save the camo for hunting, but many people here - men, women, and children - wear camo regularly.

I think it's it's up to the individual. I like wearing BDU 's for work pants. They are cooler than jeans, full of storage with all the pockets, durable and cheap. One trick I've done is sew velcro in all the pocket flaps so I don't have to fight with buttons when in awkward situations.

i got two pair of flat black cargo pants and i cut one pair into shorts just below the pocket and i got a pair of camo bdu pants with some old tan military t's from ROTC

i have this type of pants.their a lot like the bottom half of overalls..the hoop for a hammer on the left.and the 2 lil pockets on the right for a utility knife or what ever,when it comes to the pants legs..some of the ones i have are tan.and the others are green..and the front and back pockets are like blue jean pockets in desin and shape

getDynamicImage.aspx

I generally will wear wool or mk mountain pants 11oz cotton and have 8oz cotton khaki and brown when in the hills depending on the season, I generally don't wear camo and certainly not in a SHTF when moving about, giving the appearance of a threat will get you dead.

A little late in addressing this, but just catching up on the thread...I wear tactical pants just about every day to work and for me, we have a pretty strict dress code at work...what is nice is the colors and presented right in a nice polo...like Roninsensei stated in the above thread...you can actually walk into any restaurant or work center and not get a second look.

So my two favorite colors are Khaki, Battle Brown and Storm in the 5.11 Stryke Tactical Pants that are offered by Tactical Gear.com. They are durable, hardly fade after several washings...just to give you a clue the Battle Brown look like brand new and they were worn at least one time each week last year. Durable, the flex in the pant leg and also the durability built into the seat of the pants...do well for anyone doing serious work outside. Additionally, you have some internal pocket and with a tactical belt can allow most of your Every Day Carry material to be placed in the cargo pockets or slung from your belt. I have a few matching belts, lol, just to be color coordinated. With a longer shirt (such as an Under Armor Sport shirt or breathable tactical shirt of matte color, you can hide a concealed weapon without anyone knowing. Tried and proven, when worn by me and quite honestly, I could go into reaction mode wearing this stuff. The Styrke pants retain for about $70.

Also, I've worn Taclite pants that retail for about $50...these are from the same manufacture as the Stryke, just as durable and I have about 10 of them either in the closet, BOB or in one of my tactical ready apparel kits.

Less expensive are Propper Tactical Pants. I've worn these for about 10 years now...both in the office setting and in the field. I can't find a pant more durable than the these..granted, I've bought others, these are just tried and proven...a bit restrictive in certain spots, but for the price, if your rip one by accident, your not going to lose sleep over them. In fact I have a pair that I wear mowing the lawn or servicing my vehicles in my garage. They fit well and have great cargo pockets.

Note: All of these have Velcro on their cargo pockets.

5.11 in Taclite Battle Brown:

0-650-511-taclite-pro-pants-battle-brown.jpg

Propper in Khaki

0-650-propper-lightweight-tactical-pants-coyote~1.jpg

Lastly, I do have some other's like Blackhawk Industries. The only other that I recommend are Crye Precision All Weather Combat Pants..they come in Khaki and Green...but at the cost of $320, a item that will hit your pocket. What I like about them, is that you are talking about the high end of tactical pants. I bought two...the G-3 in multi cam and the All weather in Khaki. I can't rave enough about them, but then again...it has the combat guy in mind and I don't even have to wear a belt to hold them up! They have the ability to carry a waterbottle along your cargo pant, place for your EDC multi-tool/foldable knife (your going to love that one Roninsensei) and enough cargo pockets to store just about anything up to another canteen, magazines, and each pant has built in knee pads, so your not having to wear the assorted combat knee pads...and Crye makes a combat shirt that goes with it for a price. I know very expensive most preppers, but well its just the high end pants.

APRCPE0232R.jpg

Of course, I have several storage boxes of ACU's, DCU's, MARPAT gear ready to go. Possibly the only one pant and shirt I lack are the fire pants that "Smoke-jumpers wear when battling forest fires"...something I need to get.

Last edited:
I wear navy blue Propper pants all the time... love the pockets........with the right shirt ...fit right in and don't stick out...............rare to wear shorts.

I see many you wearing bulky combat uniforms. Is there a problem with combat boots, pants with many pockets, shirts with many pockets, and a hat? I'm new to prepping by the way.
I trained previously with some private security contract companies. My point here is how to stay low profile? I like my 5.11 tac cargo pants in earth tones. Use black or other earth tones shirt to blend with the environment if you need to bug out. You'll be close to a mil uniform, but keeping a low profile

Latest posts

Back