Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently read from someome that citric acid is a by product of black mold and there was a debate on its safety.

Does anyone have any information on this as far as the process?
https://www.scielo.br/j/babt/a/X6KhHqWHCkSn3qrjYnLxyZv/?lang=en
It is produced mainly by submerged fermentation using Aspergillus niger or Candida sp. from different sources of carbohydrates, such as molasses and starch based media.
Aspergillus niger is one type of black mold, although the one commonly called "toxic black mold" found in cellulose rich building materials and air ducts is Stachybotrys chartarum

I've been working so much at regular job I haven't canned anything in I think over a month but (can't recall exactly)...but was able to can 7 quarts of chicken livers last night and another 4 quarts tonight via help of my son...showing him how...I had him clean some stuff out of freezer this weekend to make room for another 60 lb. Hamburger meat, chicken breasts, thighs, ribeyes. And can't say how much the weight was right now of chicken n steaks cause brain dead but ordered total of approx $500 worth of restock meat this weekend. Plus a case of sweet potatoes. (Cause my gardening skills suck)...the chicken livers are finishing up a good stock supply for the dogs...still have some gizzards yet to pull out of freezer to can for them...but should be getting in pretty good shape for the dogs food supply as well as for us...but moving slow lately. 🤪

My wife i will give her credit, working 60hrs in a 4 day week is getting into canning. 3 months ago she owned 3 canners (bought used) and had never canned a thing in her life. As a busy professional, I never pictured her canning.
She has been doing things in small batch (4-5 jars) to learn. Only 1 batch of tomato sauce turned out bad. Mushrooms Tomato’s, Sauce, Potato’s. Picked up a pressure canner and bunch of books too.

My part in supporting this. She bought at auction equipment for her workshop. 8ft double sink 36” commercial stove, couple 2x8 stainless tables. Had to make her workshop in the new place bigger to accommodate her equipment for canning and cast iron restoration hobbies.. I just got to design and build it.

Yeah, I think she is on board.

My wife i will give her credit, working 60hrs in a 4 day week is getting into canning. 3 months ago she owned 3 canners (bought used) and had never canned a thing in her life. As a busy professional, I never pictured her canning.
She has been doing things in small batch (4-5 jars) to learn. Only 1 batch of tomato sauce turned out bad. Mushrooms Tomato’s, Sauce, Potato’s. Picked up a pressure canner and bunch of books too.

My part in supporting this. She bought at auction equipment for her workshop. 8ft double sink 36” commercial stove, couple 2x8 stainless tables. Had to make her workshop in the new place bigger to accommodate her equipment for canning and cast iron restoration hobbies.. I just got to design and build it.

Yeah, I think she is on board.
I have been canning for 30+ years and still don't do tomato sauce. I can the tomatoes and when I'm ready to cook, I start from there. Tomatoes don't ruin very often, but thicker stuff seems to have a tendency to go bad. This is all from my experience. I could be wrong.

Today's haul! If I'd have started earlier I could have gotten another 7 quarts of something in..BUT...I'm happy with what I got done today..

Attachments

• 20231112_155754.jpg
    20231112_155754.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Today's haul! If I'd have started earlier I could have gotten another 7 quarts of something in..BUT...I'm happy with what I got done today..

How do you can your sweet potatoes? Just peeled and with water or another way? I’ve never canned sweet ones.

Saw a YT video the other day where this woman was showing her basement canned and frozen foods. This woman was young…like late 20s. Her and hubby had like a 1,000 jars of canned foods, plus 4 chest freezers stuffed with meat. She had very few buckets of grains though. I was impressed!!

EW, we always kept hundreds of pounds of potatoes in the root cellar. Our parents weren’t lazy!

I watched a Rose Red video and steamed them 15 minutes. Makes them easy to peel, made sure got all the yellow coloring skimmed off to get to all orange color. I heated up 10 cups water with 1 cup sugar to make a thin syrup (per her recommendation) and canned 90 min. I had to make a bit more syrup as the 10 cups water with 1 cup sugar wasn't enough to fill all 7 quarts to 1 inch rim for mine. But I don't think I filled my jars as packed as she did w the potatoes. This was my first time canning sweet potatoes.

I watched a video with lady showing her pantry of canned foods. Her and hubby eat what she cans. She said her and her husband go through average 22 jars of what she cans per week, 1,100 per year. She cans MOSTLY in pint size. Her inventory for upcoming year was a little over1,300 jars.

Counting what she gives as gifts she said she was "ok" with having that amt. For now.

I think it's @growandpreserve (youtube) but can't recall her name. I like her videos pretty good. I need to get mine organized like hers!

Latest posts

Back