Bugout bag tools

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epicdemic

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good tools to keep in a bugout bag? I was thinking of a main multitool and back up along with a couple of singulars like a decent knife etc. Thanks for your help!

mini bolt cutter,just in case you have to cut barbed wire..i've got one.in which i do use when replaceing old wire with new wire..and they've come in handy many times..machetie,it's not only good for cutting your way through vines n all.to makeing a make shift leanto..it's also good as a weapon when needed..

Can anyone recommend some good tools to keep in a bugout bag? I was thinking of a main multitool and back up along with a couple of singulars like a decent knife etc. Thanks for your help!
I keep a Gerber LMF II Infantry knife, a Leatherman or Gerber multitool, and either a small ax for chopping wood (long term) or an e-tool used by the military and it has several uses too.

I keep a Gerber LMF II Infantry knife, a Leatherman or Gerber multitool, and either a small ax for chopping wood (long term)
I was thinking of a Leatherman, possibly a Wave or Charge, and an axe is something I had not thought of but would be very important so thanks for this suggestion!

A Leatherman type multi-tool is a great all around one.

However I'd also add a good-sized, strong straight-slot screwdriver (for prying too), a good phillips screwdriver (or bit screwdriver), a ratchet-style tool with bit attachments (including screwdriver bits, socket bits), and a hammer (or axe with a hammer side).

A folding saw is a must-have too. Sure, a Leatherman has a saw blade, but can you imagine having to cut a LOT with it? If the Leatherman doesn't have a wire-cutter, be sure to add this as well. I also like a good crescent-wrench.

Lockpicks are a great idea, but it's a learned skill. Personally, you may be better off with several bump keys (and yet another use for a hammer), and less practice than picks. Noisier than picking a lock, but may not matter much in a SHTF scenario.

I also like having a lot of carabiners, as they just come in handy in all kinds of unforeseen ways.

I keep a spare armory tool kit in a Ziploc sandwich bag that is placed in my cargo pants

CAT M4
Gerber E-fect tool (yeah, I know its added weight with also a leatherman, but I like it as a backup).
Bore snake for the rifle and handgun
Lubricant
Bore brush
Odd assortment of swabs and gun patches

Flashlight
Lighter
Mini Pry bar
Gerber artifact
Spring loaded center punch for breaking toughened and laminated glass
Driver handle and set screwdriver bits 1/4 drive
Gerber Multi Plier
P45 tin opener
Folding Woodsaw
Karibiners
Fixed blade HD camp or military knife

Duct tape
WD40
Victorinox Swisstool
Matches
Lighter
LED flashlight
Fiskars Xtract™ SW73
Bungee cords
Lashing straps
Mirror
Wire
Carabin hooks
Tarp
Hammer
Magnesium block
Ammo
Industrial strength Zip ties
Gun cleaning kit
Eickhorn KM2000

I think thats it as far as "tools" go. Its hard to tell tho. Most of the things I have, have multi purposes.

A P45 can opener and utensil kit...didn't really think of them as "tools", but yeah, I can see that.

Ha silly me, I wrote P45 which is a UK unemployment benefits card , I should have written P38 if I remember right :)

yeah..a p38 is real handy at times when needed..i have 3 of them.1 with a spoon.2 without a spoonand i keep the one with the spoon on my person at all times

yeah.i guess the spork could be a tool.like digging small areas for worms.lol

Just from both my Air Force and Marine survival school training, you should have at least three tools to help you make a fire. Remember, the battery and some wire can be one of your fire starters. For me, because I am a redundant person, I have six tucked away either on my body or in the BOB. Also, my everyday carry item, I keep a Altoid box that has some stuff. I've attached an example pdf for you. My little Altoid box (one that is built for urban and the other which is on my body, whenever I leave the house).

Attachments

• General_-_Compact_survival_kit.pdf
    997.5 KB · Views: 8
And you can always rub two boy scouts together to start a fire :) British humour :)

Sure you can find it in Baden Powell's version of the Boy Scout Manual. Thought it was two Girl Scout with One Boy Scout :) Your cousins across the pond's cynical outlook on life. :p

Attachments

• HandbookForScoutMasters1914.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
Just from both my Air Force and Marine survival school training, you should have at least three tools to help you make a fire. Remember, the battery and some wire can be one of your fire starters. For me, because I am a redundant person, I have six tucked away either on my body or in the BOB. Also, my everyday carry item, I keep a Altoid box that has some stuff. I've attached an example pdf for you. My little Altoid box (one that is built for urban and the other which is on my body, whenever I leave the house).

i like the battery wire and steel wool concept..i have a solar powered battery charger.seems like i have 1 or 2 rechargeable 9V transistor battery..what i wanna do.is get one or two of those things the battreys plug into.when it comes tyo the transistor radio.and have the wires comeing out 3 to 4 inchs

Latest posts

Back