Appliance reply ripoffs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
18 months ago, I bought all new kitchen appliances. I have had the refrigerator/freezer repaired 6 times. 3 under warranty and 3 on extended warranty.

I finally said I just want a new one. It's a lemon. The warranty company said if was the manufacturer and the manufacturer said it was warranty company.

Finally today, I put my years of experience as the Legal Director for a time share company (yep scum of the earth liars) and a paralegal to use.

I was super nice, but let them know I would not back down. I called them on all of the usual bluffs and....... I am getting a new refrigerator. Yay. I really don't want the same brand, but want it to match.

This has nothing to do with prepping, but maybe it's kind of a barter situation.

Robin, I think your post is a statement of angelic patience.

3 repairs under warranty? At that point it'd be exchange time. But 3 MORE problems in the next 6 months?

I would have spoken with them politely, insistent that it was a lemon and just needed to be replaced. This would be at the 11.5 month point, still under warranty. Then I would load it on my truck, pull up to the front of their store with some big posters. I'd park right there, taping on the posters with things like "Warranty Junk- Avoid this store!". And others explaining the multiple warranty calls & how it's still broken. I'd walk inside and simply ask them if they'd like to do the exchange or would they rather I just park outside all day? And let them know I'm available every weekend to return with it and the signs for their customers to see.

You would be amazed at the speed at which an issue like this gets a manager to work. Store owners/managers don't want to spend money/time fixing this, but they know how much it will cost to let me sit there and drive off their potential customers.

But it's good to hear that your method worked (eventually) as well.

Robin, I think your post is a statement of angelic patience.

3 repairs under warranty? At that point it'd be exchange time. But 3 MORE problems in the next 6 months?

I would have spoken with them politely, insistent that it was a lemon and just needed to be replaced. This would be at the 11.5 month point, still under warranty. Then I would load it on my truck, pull up to the front of their store with some big posters. I'd park right there, taping on the posters with things like "Warranty Junk- Avoid this store!". And others explaining the multiple warranty calls & how it's still broken. I'd walk inside and simply ask them if they'd like to do the exchange or would they rather I just park outside all day? And let them know I'm available every weekend to return with it and the signs for their customers to see.

You would be amazed at the speed at which an issue like this gets a manager to work. Store owners/managers don't want to spend money/time fixing this, but they know how much it will cost to let me sit there and drive off their potential customers.

But it's good to hear that your method worked (eventually) as well.
HHGREGG went out of business. So there's no stores to pull up to.

Why I went with more of a mom and pop place for my appliances. They depend on relationships, so want to be sure you are happy. Back when we got them, we saved literally THOUSANDS when buying from them. It was even cheaper than scratch and dent places. If I recall, we saved a little over 2 grand, when we got our stainless steel double oven, industrial convection microwave, fridge/freezer, and dishwasher.

We bought it with cash, so no financing, etc. We did the same with all of our furniture at the time (and saved even more there). (we had a lot of cash at the time)....after just getting the house. It was pretty much empty, and the appliances in there were like from the 80's.

I'm glad we spent the money on quality stuff, as it's lasted pretty well. (real wood, not chip crap, for example).

Why I went with more of a mom and pop place for my appliances. They depend on relationships, so want to be sure you are happy. Back when we got them, we saved literally THOUSANDS when buying from them. It was even cheaper than scratch and dent places. If I recall, we saved a little over 2 grand, when we got our stainless steel double oven, industrial convection microwave, fridge/freezer, and dishwasher.

We bought it with cash, so no financing, etc. We did the same with all of our furniture at the time (and saved even more there). (we had a lot of cash at the time)....after just getting the house. It was pretty much empty, and the appliances in there were like from the 80's.

I'm glad we spent the money on quality stuff, as it's lasted pretty well. (real wood, not chip crap, for example).

I had a washer, dryer and refrigerator last for 26 years. That's back when appliances were well made. These were GE products made in Louisville, KY

fridges and freezers are a PRE shtf item to me, okay for the here and now but of no use post event unless maybe as some type of cupboard. we cant all have a back up power supply for after the event, I haven't got the space, the knowhow or the inclination.
we had a new kitchen a couple of years ago and replaced a good chest freezer with a fridge/freezer, I hate the thing.
we were told by an engineer that any average new washing machine its expected life is 3 years or 1000 washes-whichever comes first- and if its lasts longer your doing well.

fridges and freezers are a PRE shtf item to me, okay for the here and now but of no use post event unless maybe as some type of cupboard. we cant all have a back up power supply for after the event, I haven't got the space, the knowhow or the inclination.
we had a new kitchen a couple of years ago and replaced a good chest freezer with a fridge/freezer, I hate the thing.
we were told by an engineer that any average new washing machine its expected life is 3 years or 1000 washes-whichever comes first- and if its lasts longer your doing well.

After I got rid of my 26 year old models, I was going through washers about every 3 years.

A repairman told me to go and buy the cheapest TOP load Maytag or Whirlpool because all machines are junk now. Especially the front load models.

I paid $1600 for a front load washer and within 1 month the mother board went out and the entire thing was toast within 3 years.

I now own a cheap Maytag and have had it about 5 years,

we have a front loader because it fits UNDER the worktop, we replaced it about 6 months ago, I don't care much about appliances, we don't bother with extended warranties and stuff, when anything goes we replace it, nothing is made to last anymore and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it, its just the way things are these days.

we have a front loader because it fits UNDER the worktop, we replaced it about 6 months ago, I don't care much about appliances, we don't bother with extended warranties and stuff, when anything goes we replace it, nothing is made to last anymore and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it, its just the way things are these days.

Our water has major mineral problems, so I buy the extended warranty on the appliances that use water. I do not get the warranty on other appliances

I had a washer, dryer and refrigerator last for 26 years. That's back when appliances were well made.

That's the truth.

(they were also made HERE back then...)

That's the truth.

(they were also made HERE back then...)
When we first got married we bought a used Maytag washer and dryer at a yard sale. They worked perfectly for years but eventually we had kids and decided we needed a larger washer and dryer, and reluctantly sold them. I'll bet those things are still going strong.

I've gone thru a few washing machines over the years now and your repairman is correct. . . Most are junk. This last one we bought was a Speed Queen and it is one that is a basic model with the old school dials and buttons. No mother board to go out and has last the longest so far, just can't remember how many years it's been around now. Maybe 10 or so. Glad you were able to get a new fridge. Sounds like the last one was a lemon.

UPDATE UPDATE

So I get a call last Sunday about delivery. I called on Wednesday and after speaking with 2 reps, 2 supervisor and a manager, I am NOT getting a replacement unit and the supervisor that approved mine is being reprimanded.

I'm still not finished though. I'll just pester them some more on a rainy day when I am bored.

It's a really long story, but they basically just lied to me and they admit it.

Robin,

My next step would be a court small claims case. List the manufacturer and the seller in the case. File for the original price plus damages. I'm sure multiple times you had to throw out food that went bad or you didn't trust after each of the SIX failures. Include in that food you ate that "wasn't quite right". Don't exaggerate, but you'd be surprised the value. Do not include your time lost or going to court time (judges hate those). But you could include $1000 in lieu of time (call this 'distress'?, but again don't push it as judges are wary of this).

I wouldn't even bother telling them. Let them find out when they get served. Have all your evidence gathered (definitely have records of all the times it was repaired, with what was done each time, you might need to request of the store/manufacturer before they get served!). If you have pictures of melted food in the freezer each of the times, even better! Pictures tell far more than words ever would. IF they contact you before the court case, see what they offer. If they ask what do you want, tell them you already asked for that and they refused and that now you are expected fair compensation for your losses. They know they can (not always) get abused in a courtroom and would rather resolve it minimizing damages now.

Now of course demand restitution in cash. You do not want another one of their products (which of course is what they will offer you).

Good luck.

Yeah I know Texas. I was a paralegal for 8 years and just don't want to go through the crap that's involved.

I might do a Pro Se case if I do. We have attorney trends that would do it but I hate to waste their time on something so small.

Latest posts

Back