Yet another newb

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcomes!!

I'd like to share some of the things we are doing, get some pointers and such. Not sure whether to put that here or on another part of the forum. Any advice?
Hey there, just start by searching topics for things that interest you. Sometimes I find myself digging in to a topic that isn't really that relevant to prepping and other times I do. Sometimes we tend to get carried away and can't shut up. I try to keep my personal stuff out of the conversations but let things slip. Dear, dear, how to stay anon and still participate. You just have to tolerate others opinions, I think most are fairly mature to vent and also to listen. No talking at once people! If you don't agree with something or it bugs you too much just move on. We talk politics , world status, prepping, chickens and about putting up hay and cutting wood and cooking supper, etc. You can also just lurk around.

Sweet! Well I'll just add a little more here, then post specific stuff in the appropriate place. :)

I'm in my late 40's. For too long I've felt things have been just not right. The systems are rigged and not in favor of regular people. I am a regular people. That little nagging voice in my head has added up all the thousands of signs, and there is a real world weight bearing down. I even wonder if I am starting this already too late.

Work with what you got, that's my motto. This is what we've got: Although not in a desirable weather-wise area, the hubby and I have managed to get us just over 5 acres of unworked land. It's got a few things going for it, no debt on it, water well, 8 miles from a rural smallish town that has just about anything you'd need, but an hour and half from Oklahoma City, OK. It's off the back end of family land that's well hidden off a low traffic county road. Our road is hard to spot even if you kind of know where you're going. The house is even harder to spot, past a hill among the trees. We just moved the house out there a few weeks ago, so there's still a ton of work to do on it. Yep, it's a mobile home we managed to get for free, but hey, no debt on that one, either. The house we situated to take advantage of passive solar, blocking foliage from the north, plenty of trees for summer shade, long sides facing north and south.

The land has been unused for many years. 30 years ago it grew all kinds of things very well, I intend to garden. There's also quite a few wild game out there, deer, turkey and quail among other things. As we live in tornado alley, I'll be prepping for short-term like tornadoes and power outages. So a root cellar will be included soon for food storage and hiding from the 'nadoes. Long-term will aim for self-sustainability. I'd love to go full on off grid if the funds allow it.

I'll be posting and learning as much as I can to prep for both small term and long term. Thanks for reading. :)
I was in Chickasha for a few days two years ago. I like the country but it's terrible windy. I was at the fairgrounds for a show there.

@brandx - Yes, definitely got the wind here in Okie. Our spot is in the middle of hills and trees, so it's not too much but up on the hill, could see the possibility of a wind turbine in the future. :)

Makes sense. I do see a lot of industrial huge wind turbines around, but don't see any residential. Must be for a reason. Duly noted. :)

We got some plywood to redo one bedroom, the only place in the house that had a few soft spots on the floor. My dad gifted about 7 gallons of paint he had laying around, we hope to start the painting this weekend. Plumbing spots that are leaking fixed, skirting, and the place would be livable. Woohoo, getting some traction! Have only been plotting this a year now. :)

In other news, the hubby had talked to my bro-in-law a few weeks back who mentioned he got one of those pull behind generators that they use to power up oilfield plants at auction. This kind of shocked me as I have no idea what he will use it or need it for at all, living in suburbia like he does. Said we could borrow it any time. The hubby is going to ask if we can use it. Talk about whole house power!! haha Will see if this comes to light.

Latest posts

Back