Yet another newb

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to share some of the things we are doing, get some pointers and such. Not sure whether to put that here or on another part of the forum. Any advice?
For introductory purposes, you can mention some things here. But to get into details you should post those in the appropriate topics. There are appropriate topics for just about anything. If you can't find an appropriate sub-topic, just put it in the main topic section.

For introductory purposes, you can mention some things here. But to get into details you should post those in the appropriate topics. There are appropriate topics for just about anything. If you can't find an appropriate sub-topic, just put it in the main topic section.

Sweet! Well I'll just add a little more here, then post specific stuff in the appropriate place. :)

I'm in my late 40's. For too long I've felt things have been just not right. The systems are rigged and not in favor of regular people. I am a regular people. That little nagging voice in my head has added up all the thousands of signs, and there is a real world weight bearing down. I even wonder if I am starting this already too late.

Work with what you got, that's my motto. This is what we've got: Although not in a desirable weather-wise area, the hubby and I have managed to get us just over 5 acres of unworked land. It's got a few things going for it, no debt on it, water well, 8 miles from a rural smallish town that has just about anything you'd need, but an hour and half from Oklahoma City, OK. It's off the back end of family land that's well hidden off a low traffic county road. Our road is hard to spot even if you kind of know where you're going. The house is even harder to spot, past a hill among the trees. We just moved the house out there a few weeks ago, so there's still a ton of work to do on it. Yep, it's a mobile home we managed to get for free, but hey, no debt on that one, either. The house we situated to take advantage of passive solar, blocking foliage from the north, plenty of trees for summer shade, long sides facing north and south.

The land has been unused for many years. 30 years ago it grew all kinds of things very well, I intend to garden. There's also quite a few wild game out there, deer, turkey and quail among other things. As we live in tornado alley, I'll be prepping for short-term like tornadoes and power outages. So a root cellar will be included soon for food storage and hiding from the 'nadoes. Long-term will aim for self-sustainability. I'd love to go full on off grid if the funds allow it.

I'll be posting and learning as much as I can to prep for both small term and long term. Thanks for reading. :)

Howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on inwithany replies you have on atopic.

Good idea on preparing for short term things. Seeing how that'll probably happen first. Plus those short term item's can be included with the long item's, once y'all reach that point in time.

You do have a lot going for you and your family already. Lots can be done on only five acres to be self sufficient raising a garden and even some livestock to meet your daily needs and to preserve for the future. It's great you already have a well. That in itself can be a lifesaver as long as you have a way to bring it up in a power outage.
It sounds like you have plans already going so good for you, just don't let it all overwhelm you and focus on what is important right now. Build it up as you can.
And welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome. You’re allready heading in the right direction as far as prepping goes! Just being aware of what your specific needs are and working towards covering them is what prepping is all about. I really like the debt free part, you’re allready way ahead of 90% of America.

Welcome from South Florida.

In my mind, the best prepping is to prep yourself.

Take classes, learn about farming, take an LPN and/or EMT course, learn about small machine repair, and so on.

Your skill set will always be more important than amassing stuff.

Welcome from South Florida.

In my mind, the best prepping is to prep yourself.

Take classes, learn about farming, take an LPN and/or EMT course, learn about small machine repair, and so on.

Your skill set will always be more important than amassing stuff.
I couldn’t agree more. Disasters can strip you of everything you’ve accumulated in life, except knowledge and resourcefulness. People one or two generations ago would fix their own things at home, that’s not the norm anymore. Taking the time to learn basic first aide may end up saving your or another’s child one day.

Latest posts

Back