Winter 2019/2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am left handed and I have some sort of rash that has developed on it. . . have no idea from what. At first I thought maybe a burn from frying chicken fried steaks last night, but it just doesn't look right for that. I am the kind of person that says yep that hurt but you just go on and don't think about it. It had to happen out with the goats. Maybe got it caught on the barb wire. . . who knows, but it hurts

Be careful. I got a rash up both arms for weeks. Finally went to 2 different doctors finally a dermatologist and I had had a cat scratch on my leg and it manifested on my arms. A form of ringworm but didn't have any rings at all.

WINTER PREP CHECK LIST (2014 version)

Love your prep list. Quite extensive. I think most of us do these things all year, slowly and only thinking it is a daily/weekly chore. Just preppers reflexes. BUT to see it on a list and read it again, always is a wake-up call for those of us (or only me) getting old and lazy. Thank you again. GP

Most of summer around here is pretty much spent prepping for winter. Firewood needs to be cut, split and stacked. Six months of hay needs to be hualed in and stacked in the barn, with the excess stacked outside and covered. It generally starts cooling down around the end of August and we have a nice long Fall. This year we started getting snow in late September with temps in the single digits by October. But now we're having a nice Indian summer.
Once it starts cooling down (20's) we cover the windows in the chicken coop, I get caught up on all equipment services, add fuel treatment to all equipment that will be stored until spring, add anti gel to the diesel. Change engine oil from summer grade to winter grade in the gasoline generators. I put everything away that's been left outside, otherwise it'll be covered in snow until May. I have to plan my snow plowing routes (over 2 miles long) and make sure that I'll have places to push the snow when it gets deep. Every building needs a snow shovel. Last winter I couldn't keep up with the snow fall and had to turn the cows loose and feed them on the road. This winter I'm going to try keeping a small valley cleared to feed in. Some of the cows will start calving in January so they'll need to be kept out of the wind too. Last February we were snowed in for almost 2 weeks. We need to stock up on food, fuel and spare parts. Next week I'll put chains on the tractor and my 4 wheeler, make repairs on the tractors rear blade and weld new skids on the front snow plow. I need to make repairs on the snow blower and get it ready to go. I put markers around everything that can't be put away so that I don't hit it with the plow. Plus I try to get roofs put on my building projects before the snow starts coming down for good.
That's all I can think of for now.

add fuel treatment to all equipment that will be stored until spring, add anti gel to the diesel.

When I was driving Longhaul, sometimes we would get surprised by sudden temp drops in Sweden and Norway. If the diesel wasn't properly treated we were stuck and screwed for days. I learned from a oldtimer in Kansas City, Mo. that you can use ATF to freeze proof the diesel in an emergency. Somehow Automatic Tranny Fluid helps against jelling. Google it and make sure if this is still done, I learned it back in 1986. GP

Weather reports which are opened on the Website that Maverick posted, say a really big cold front is coming to the central US to -24 down in TX...Mom has a good A/C, don't know about the heating. Thank God my brother is only 5 miles away. But neither of them has any other heat except electricity. GP

When I was driving Longhaul, sometimes we would get surprised by sudden temp drops in Sweden and Norway. If the diesel wasn't properly treated we were stuck and screwed for days. I learned from a oldtimer in Kansas City, Mo. that you can use ATF to freeze proof the diesel in an emergency. Somehow Automatic Tranny Fluid helps against jelling. Google it and make sure if this is still done, I learned it back in 1986. GP

I carry a bottle of acetone nail varnish remover to add to my diesel if the temp drops under -14 which is what British winter diesel is rated to. It helps stopping it wax up.

Weather reports which are opened on the Website that Maverick posted, say a really big cold front is coming to the central US to -24 down in TX...Mom has a good A/C, don't know about the heating. Thank God my brother is only 5 miles away. But neither of them has any other heat except electricity. GP
Yup I saw that forecast on Fox for the US and it looked pretty dramatic for the south with temps as low as - 24 in places even in TX,

Just came back from walking the dog, got our first frost last night. Hit so fast that the trees are losing GREEN leaves.
Frost on the roses and mushrooms looks pretty cool tho. GP

The Renault is also Petrol, it started once back in 2012 at - 29 C. Old diesel vehicles have the advantage of being to swallow a mix of fuels, less electronics and no spark plugs. More power in low rpms and less water sensitivity. But the petrol is just an advantage also.

OK, Gotta make choices and live with them sometimes. If it works, be happy, if not, make a new choice. Democracy in Action! Headed for breakfast, see you later. GP

Back