What's happenin everyone?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGaragePrepper

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm from North Alabama. I'm not originally born and raised from here, but I'm a transplant from Jackson, MS. I migrated up here in 1986 and have loved the Tennessee Valley every since. I'm a newly wed second time around and this first year went by way too fast. The wife picked the perfect date April 1st. Love her since of humor or was that just making it easy for me to remember...

I started getting into prepping really heavily after April of 2011. Well as I mentioned grew up in central Mississippi I was always pretty use to every year when tornado season came around. I could sleep thru the warnings like a baby. But that year opened my eyes even wider to the value of being prepared. On April 25th thru 28th of 2011 there were 349 tornadoes over a 72 hours period. I realized then that I really wasn’t as prepared as I thought. And here I am today. The wife and I bought 19 acres just outside of one of the local forest not far from here and I just got the foundation poured yesterday on a 25'x40' SteelMasters Quonest hut garage. I was just happy to get the plumbing for the bathroom in the ground 2 days before. Well I'm loosing daylight and I'd like to share more.

Thanx for letting me join.
TheGaragePrepper

Howdy from east texas.welcome to the forum and family.feel free to roam the threads and post comments. Even start a new one if need be

On April 25th thru 28th of 2011 there were 349 tornadoes over a 72 hours period. I realized then that I really wasn’t as prepared as I thought.

LOL! You were better prepared than I was. At the time I was working for a guy who did concrete work for $100 a day with no housing available in NE Tennessee, near Virginia. Was living in a tent, took my showers in hostice along the Appalachian Trail.

After the tornadoes hit, the next morning, the guy living in the cabin up the mountain from my tent told me one of the tornadoes jumped right over me while I was sleeping.

LOL! You were better prepared than I was. At the time I was working for a guy who did concrete work for $100 a day with no housing available in NE Tennessee, near Virginia. Was living in a tent, took my showers in hostice along the Appalachian Trail.

After the tornadoes hit, the next morning, the guy living in the cabin up the mountain from my tent told me one of the tornadoes jumped right over me while I was sleeping.

Wow your were luuuucky. I hope you left that job shortly after that.

Wow your were luuuucky. I hope you left that job shortly after that.

Actually left that job that afternoon and landed another one north of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Couldn't leave till the next day - had some valuables in storage. After a $5 shower, stopped by at a local grocery store and bought a six pack. Knew what was coming, just wanted to sleep through it. LOL!

A tent pole snapped, that was it.

When I woke up early the next morning power was out everywhere. The tornado that jumped over me sucked out a perfect ten foot circular hole of bricks from the side of a house nearby, leaving the tar paper.

Yes, I was lucky.

TheGaragePrepper,

I have been through a lot of ups and downs through life, more downs than most. Legally deaf, so there's not a whole lot of jobs available to me. But I have survived.

The one "prep", if you can call it that, I have come to learn is most valuable is a good heart, honesty, and a winning attitude.

John "Lofty" Wiseman, in his SAS Survival Handbook called it our basic instinct, 'the will to live'. He recommends we look at the locals and see how they survive and talk to people who have endured and learn from their experiences.

Sound advice. And I have taken it to heart wherever I ended up over the years.

I have learned a few things from Finlanders who settled along Lake Superior to the "Coon-###" in the bayous of Louisiana. The mountain folks in Appalachia to some around here in the Prairies.

Recently, I came across a transplant from Tennessee out here in Oklahoma. After talking with him, found out that we were once "neighbors" back in McMinn County. Asked him if he ever ran into a friend of mine, an "eccentric" old man, whom I described. "Yes! My wife and I enjoyed conversations with him a few times."

"Did you know his name?"

"No"

Told my new friend here in Oklahoma he once knew Davy Crockett's great great great great grandson.

Enjoy Independence Day, TGP, there are still a few of us out here who still remember the dreams of our grandfathers.

For what it's worth, there's a mural in a federal park in Kentucky depicting an ancestor of mine, a scout for Daniel Boone, among the first settlers of the Cumberland Gap.

Wow that sounds like one heck of a legacy! I need to trace back both sides of my family. Half Cajun and half Scott-Irish. We have a couple of distant cousins on my moms side that flew in WW2 and they have some interesting stories from some famous battles. One brother was a pilot and the other a tail gunner on separate fighter planes. I have documentatiin from of some of their most famous accounts. It would make a good movie. One of their aircraft carrier was sunk while they was out on a mission and had to land on another. And Doolittles raid was mentioned another time. I think they flew cover for the raid. Anyway I hope y’all had a safe 4th.

Howdy from east texas.welcome to the forum and family.feel free to roam the threads and post comments. Even start a new one if need be
What part of east Texas? I have a cousin that lives between Ennis and Bristol. My grandparents had a place in Bristol and my dad was born in Crisp.

/QUOTE="TheGaragePrepper, post: 132435, member: 5649"]Hey everyone I'm from North Alabama. I'm not originally born and raised from here, but I'm a transplant from Jackson, MS. I migrated up here in 1986 and have loved the Tennessee Valley every since. I'm a newly wed second time around and this first year went by way too fast. The wife picked the perfect date April 1st. Love her since of humor or was that just making it easy for me to remember...

I started getting into prepping really heavily after April of 2011. Well as I mentioned grew up in central Mississippi I was always pretty use to every year when tornado season came around. I could sleep thru the warnings like a baby. But that year opened my eyes even wider to the value of being prepared. On April 25th thru 28th of 2011 there were 349 tornadoes over a 72 hours period. I realized then that I really wasn’t as prepared as I thought. And here I am today. The wife and I bought 19 acres just outside of one of the local forest not far from here and I just got the foundation poured yesterday on a 25'x40' SteelMasters Quonest hut garage. I was just happy to get the plumbing for the bathroom in the ground 2 days before. Well I'm loosing daylight and I'd like to share more.

TheGaragePrepper[/QUOTE]*
Hey everyone I'm from North Alabama. I'm not originally born and raised from here, but I'm a transplant from Jackson, MS. I migrated up here in 1986 and have loved the Tennessee Valley every since. I'm a newly wed second time around and this first year went by way too fast. The wife picked the perfect date April 1st. Love her since of humor or was that just making it easy for me to remember...

TheGaragePrepper

Welcome from a ways South....you don't have 'gators running around downtown at least, but you do get the white fluffy stuff, and we don't! Good Forum, welcome aboard!

Just to let you know,

I'm on a Verizon smartphone.

Your site came up as suspicious on adblock browser.

You activation email link took me back to your homepage, even after I whitelisted your site.
Unable to register. 4 tries, gave up.

If any other forum members have similar issues, maybe they can let him know.

Latest posts

Back