What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mongolian venison...that is, Mongolian Beef made with venison. You wouldn't know it was venison.

Oh, I bet that would be fantastic....

Yes, that is the word: Fantastic! Or as my wife said "好好吃!" (Hăo Hăo Chī, literally "Good Good Eat")

My wife used to cook stir fried venison when I was in grad school. Venison makes great stir fry because you slice it thin and marinate it in soy sauce which makes it tender and tasty. For some reason we haven't had it in many years, but I keep remembering how good it was.

Well she had to work late yesterday, so I decided to try making it myself, using red peppers and green onions. So she wouldn't have to worry about what to cook for supper when she got home.

You slice it thin - VERY THIN. Almost paper thin. It will draw up and get thicker when you cook it. Semi-frozen is best because it's easier to slice. Put it with some minced garlic in soy sauce and let it marinate a few minutes (5-10 minutes maybe). Because it's thinly sliced it doesn't take long to marinate. Then drain off the soy sauce and knead in some corn starch until it has a slight doughy coating. The corn starch will cause it to have that thick rich sauce, and also makes the meat a LOT more tender.

Heat some oil in a pan really hot. Add sliced green onions and peppers and stir fry them about a half a minute then add the meat and garlic. Stir fry until the meat is cooked, but no longer. I also added some spinach because I really didn't have enough green onions. The spinach only needs to be cooked briefly - before it completely shrivels up.

Serve over rice.

Last edited:
Venison makes great stir fry because you slice it thin and marinate it in soy sauce which makes it tender and tasty. For some reason we haven't had it in many years, but I keep remembering how good it was.

Yep, that is EXACTLY why I agree it would be so good. That's exactly how I envisioned doing it. Sliced thin, pound the hell out of it, let it sit in that marinade overnight. Damn...now I'm hungry for it.

Instead of corn starch, could also just dust it a bit with flour (not fully coat it). Some sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, green onion, sliced carrots, sliced shitake mushrooms, water chestnuts (I like to soak these in a soy sauce/water mix before cooking) and some mongolian sauce....over some brown rice.

I like adding chicken (prepared the same way as the venison above) and shrimp to such a stir fry too (though instead of the venison, I usually have to use beef....but the venison sounds so good)...you just have to cook them separate, because the shrimp takes less time, and the chicken takes more. So I just do these in a separate skillet then add them to the completed dish for serving.

Last edited:
LOL, if you pound it when sliced that thin, you'll have mince meat. No need to pound it or marinate that long. It is melt-in-your-mouth tender already. Just make sure you cut thin (less than 1/10" - 1/8" is way too thick) and across the grain, and that there is no connective tissue.

Just to let you know how discriminating my wife is when it comes to Chinese food, she owned a Chinese restaurant at one time and had a Chef who was professionally trained in China. There is not a single Chinese restaurant here that passes muster with her. We have to drive two hours to Atlanta to eat in a Chinese restaurant.

LOL, if you pound it when sliced that thin, you'll have mince meat. No need to pound it or marinate that long. It is melt-in-your-mouth tender already. Just make sure you cut thin (less than 1/10" - 1/8" is way too thick) and across the grain, and that there is no connective tissue.

Should have specified that, I cut it thin, but not that thin, hehe...so I pound it (more to allow more of it to seep into the meat). I agree you don't have to marinade it that long (not for venison), but for beef, I typically like to, though yeah, it isn't really necessary. I just like to prep the night before, because I get home so late....

So typically, while the wife or I are cooking, the other is prepping the meal for the following night (so like all of the veggies would be cut, etc.)...so it won't take too long to just pull together.

There is not a single Chinese restaurant here that passes muster with her. We have to drive two hours to Atlanta to eat in a Chinese restaurant.

Yep, that is certainly discriminating, hehe.... I'm typically pickier than my wife when it comes to Chinese places... about the only time I am.

The funny thing is that before she came to the U.S. she didn't even know how to cook. She was the baby of the family, and her sisters and mother did all the cooking and wouldn't let her in the kitchen. She learned to cook Chinese from friends, and learned about Chinese restaurant dishes from working as a waitress in an upscale Chinese restaurant in Oxford, MS. - both while I was in grad school at Ole Miss.

Nice, bet she's an awesome cook. (so likely you too!)

I've learned from both my wife and my mother, both excellent cooks. (though mom's older now, and now cooks much more blandly than in the past, but I have her older recipes in my head).

I seem to have a knack though, for just throwing some things together into something new, that ends up just working...not from any real insight, just blind luck maybe? My wife hates it, and loves it at the same time, hehe.

I seem to have a knack though, for just throwing some things together into something new, that ends up just working...not from any real insight, just blind luck maybe? My wife hates it, and loves it at the same time, hehe.

It's called 杂碎 - Chop Suey. LOL (translation: miscellaneous leftovers)

The story that Chop Suey is an American invention is actually just an urban legend.

If a stew, often called "Hobo Stew", hehe...

Sometimes though, not even leftovers. I'll just be in the store and see something and think...hmm.....and then get it and try it. We usually always have some frozen pizza, etc. in the freezer in case anything's really a bust, but I haven't bombed out yet...hehe.

Our grocery store (Publix), often has weekly recipes they demo too. The basis of a lot of good dishes have stemmed from those, then making slight changes based on our tastes, etc.

I even got my wife to enjoy an Indian dish, when she insisted she didn't like Indian food, with my Chicken Tikka Masala over Jasmine Rice.

Last edited:
Had alot to do today so We stopped Our favorite Mexican restaurant . I had the best Carnitas ever .
20180308_192139.jpg
t Carnitas ever .

Tonight, we're actually doing a more vegetarian thing. Just because we've eaten a lot of red meat lately, so trying to bring that down some.

Taking large portabello mushroom caps, scooping 'em out, and then dicing up the stems. Brush the caps with olive oil and melted garlic butter. Then, fill the caps with (cut in half) cherry tomatoes, and little balls of mozzarella cheese. Sautee the diced up stems in some olive oil, salt and pepper, and put that in the caps as well. Use some shredded mozzarella to fill in any gaps in the caps.

Broil until the cheese is melted and a little browning

Take out, and then serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze (for this, I use 3/8 cup of balsamic vinegar, two tablespoons of olive oil, and two tablespoons of brown sugar, combine all and boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. I do this while the mushrooms are in the oven). - you could use regular sugar if you don't have brown (or even splenda, etc.)

Doing some simple scalloped potatoes on the side.

Oh, I love bacon wrapped stuffed jalepenos. Didn't sound like my kind of thing, but the local feed store a while back (basically like the store on TV's "Last Man Standing") was cooking them with a Big Green Egg (ceramic grill)...and oh, they were fantastic!

Oh, I love bacon wrapped stuffed jalepenos. Didn't sound like my kind of thing, but the local feed store a while back (basically like the store on TV's "Last Man Standing") was cooking them with a Big Green Egg (ceramic grill)...and oh, they were fantastic!
I like stuffing my jalapenos with cream cheese, smoked cheddar, bacon, chopped habanro and/or ghost peppers. Dang, I'm getting hungry again.

I like stuffing my jalapenos with cream cheese, smoked cheddar, bacon, chopped habanro and/or ghost peppers. Dang, I'm getting hungry again.

Mine's pretty much the same, except I don't put more peppers inside. Bet my son would like that though, may have to make him some. Thanks for the tip! The jalepeno alone is enough for me though, hehe...

Latest posts

Back