What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's late in the season, but I'm going to plant some cabbage today. Who knows, it may work.
I tried planting something called all season cabbage last week. So far not one seedling came up so good luck! Maybe it will after today's rains. I tried tilling late in the evening yesterday to get the last 10 or so beds planted but they are still too wet. If I only had a couple more days. . .

I have some mulch leftover from last year so started mulching some rows. Of the 2 piles i had sitting up, 1 is still mulch. The other pile was really fine last year and has now broken down to a nice top soil that I had added in a bunch of manure, goat and chicken. Then I have my big pile of cow manure that is ready to use as fertilizer. I was a little disappointed that I can not mulch as much as I would like, but I can always get more next month.

I planted cabbage seed twice and not one seed sprouted. So I broke down and purchased 6 plants. They are supposed to be 45 day cabbage. The temps have dropped here so may they will have a cooler start and not bolt so easily. We hardly have Spring here. About 2 weeks then it's hot Summer.

M
I tried planting something called all season cabbage last week. So far not one seedling came up so good luck! Maybe it will after today's rains. I tried tilling late in the evening yesterday to get the last 10 or so beds planted but they are still too wet. If I only had a couple more days. . .

I have some mulch leftover from last year so started mulching some rows. Of the 2 piles i had sitting up, 1 is still mulch. The other pile was really fine last year and has now broken down to a nice top soil that I had added in a bunch of manure, goat and chicken. Then I have my big pile of cow manure that is ready to use as fertilizer. I was a little disappointed that I can not mulch as much as I would like, but I can always get more next month.
My mulch was from a large pile of wood chips I had when I cut the trees for the wedding 2 years ago. The chickens had flattened the pile and I mixed in dead leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m pretty sure we are past the freeze risk now in Ga so I will plant the summer stuff this week. So far I’ve only been eating asparagus but will make a few salads out of the thinnings I take from the gardens this week. My daughter in law has been watering the gardens for me this past week, I really hope she remembered.... the garden gets rain naturally but the greenhouse needs to be watered almost every other day. It is so good to see all the fresh produce again. I really don’t like winter!

I’m pretty sure we are past the freeze risk now in Ga so I will plant the summer stuff this week. So far I’ve only been eating asparagus but will make a few salads out of the thinnings I take from the gardens this week. My daughter in law has been watering the gardens for me this past week, I really hope she remembered.... the garden gets rain naturally but the greenhouse needs to be watered almost every other day. It is so good to see all the fresh produce again. I really don’t like winter!
I really need to get a green house built. I'd love to have some fresh.... anything right about now. This spring we've had very little sun and high temps in the 30's and 40's. I guess I'd have to heat the greenhouse at night or when the sun doesn't come out. About half of our garden is free of snow finially, but we're still getting snow showers most every day.

I really need to get a green house built. I'd love to have some fresh.... anything right about now. This spring we've had very little sun and high temps in the 30's and 40's. I guess I'd have to heat the greenhouse at night or when the sun doesn't come out. About half of our garden is free of snow finially, but we're still getting snow showers most every day.
Yeah, where you live you will definitely need to extend the growing season as much as you can. Even a month early and late in your short season will help. Once you get your house finished you could even try some container gardening inside with some led grow lights. I haven’t had a lot of success with potted plants but know with some experience you can produce some things well.

Everything put on hold, we had some serious rains, floods and slides below us plus some flooding from the creek up here, no roads are accessible from here.
Same thing over here too Mav. The main highway south and north of us was closed due to flooding and a lot of roads up here had water over the top too. In most places the water level has dropped but our house still has a lot of water underneath and flowing around it.
Our south slopes are mostly free of snow now. The east and north slopes still look like winter.

Our weather could be rough tonight. Maybe an inch of rain along with the storms.

20° cooler tomorrow. Glad I got rid of lots of the weeds so they won't take over the gardens.

Tomorrow I will use to recuperate. Even my fingers are sore. Yeah, I mentioned my sore fingers on Shout Box. Sorry

I weeded both the greenhouse and garden. I had several sheets of Sheetrock left over from ages ago and cut them up and laid them in the garden walkways. Everything I read said gypsum is good for the soil. We will see. I still need to thin the plants and plant the summer crops today hopefully.

I weeded both the greenhouse and garden. I had several sheets of Sheetrock left over from ages ago and cut them up and laid them in the garden walkways. Everything I read said gypsum is good for the soil. We will see. I still need to thin the plants and plant the summer crops today hopefully.
I didn't know that about the sheetrock. I've taken 2 trailer loads of scrap pieces to the dump already. I still have a couple sheets left over. Maybe I'll break it up and till it in the garden when it dries out.

Everything I read said gypsum is good for the soil.
gypsum-400x385.jpg

Latest posts

Back