What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been really wet here too. In February we had about a foot of rain.

The temps came up as well. We’ve had some low 80s lately, but winter isn’t done yet. We had a freeze last night and will again tonight. Yesterday’s high was 40 and windy.

Tomorrow it’s back to the 60’s and it’s gonna rain a few inches this weekend. Garden is on hold for a while yet.

It could be worse - my sister in law has had about 18 inches of snow and it hasn’t quit yet...
My sister in NY has about a foot right now. Again, why do people live up there......

Lol! No doubt, some years are harder than others. The best advice I can give anyone is soil. Get as much composted manure, mulch, and any organic matter you can mixed into the soil. The richer the soil is the easier it is to get plants to produce. I also think it’s wise to start small. Only having three tomato plants that you can take care of is better than thirty that go neglected. Then there are still going to be years that some plants just don’t do well. Overall though, the effort is more than rewarded. Eating fresh produce that you grew from start to finish is just satisfying to the soul!

the problem last year was it was so wet here that no one in the area had much luck with their gardens and so far it is looking a lot like last year,,,to much rain

the problem last year was it was so wet here that no one in the area had much luck with their gardens and so far it is looking a lot like last year,,,to much rain
No doubt it’s a crap shoot each year, and seems to be getting wilder swings with each passing year. If it keeps getting weirder then we will all need greenhouses to produce.

I did some more tilling then started planting some onion sets and some different types of squashes. . . Spaghetti, Straight Neck, Zucchini, Acorn, Banana, & Patty. Got 2 trellis ready to plant but time ran out for working out there today. Hoping to get back out there tomorrow before it starts raining again, but we need to make a feed run before the rain too.

Hate it for ya.

It’s gonna rain a lot here and end with flurries.... everything is starting to bloom, and lows into the 20’s next week.

I’m down to 15deg at night warms up to about 34-36 during the day, it rained fairly hard today but I’m hoping for more sun not rain, damn rain on the snow makes for crappy walk on top of that can’t take our quads out without tearing up the ground :-/

Hate it for ya.

It’s gonna rain a lot here and end with flurries.... everything is starting to bloom, and lows into the 20’s next week.
All my fruit trees thought it was spring and bloomed. Oh well, maybe next year. I’m almost tempted to try covering a couple to save the blooms but don’t think I will actually go that far.

All my fruit trees thought it was spring and bloomed. Oh well, maybe next year. I’m almost tempted to try covering a couple to save the blooms but don’t think I will actually go that far.

I drove past a peach orchard today. Bet this’ll get pretty bloody next week....

More trench digging, adding in old manure with a little hay and finally did a little more planting. Got 36 different pepper plants going and 30 tomatoes. For the tomatoes, I added in egg shells and Epson salt to the holes first. Got my trellises for cucumbers ready, but about to start Shrimp Etoufee. BIL & MIL coming g for dinner tonight.

I did an estimate for a guy that wants to make a polo field arena. We are biding the lights and wiring for the project. First off, I’m not even sure what a polo field is.... guess I wasn’t rich enough in life. People chasing a ball with mallets on horseback was just out of my league. But back to the prepping thing, the location is on a corner of his 45acre property, which is mostly pasture. I laughingly told him I needed my head checked for buying bags of manure as we were walking around the piles of it all over the place. He said I was welcome to as much as I wanted as long as I brought the shovel. Time is tight for me right now but I may take him up on it before long! Not two miles from my house either. Guess I’m going to have to find some time over the weekend?

I did an estimate for a guy that wants to make a polo field arena. We are biding the lights and wiring for the project. First off, I’m not even sure what a polo field is.... guess I wasn’t rich enough in life. People chasing a ball with mallets on horseback was just out of my league. But back to the prepping thing, the location is on a corner of his 45acre property, which is mostly pasture. I laughingly told him I needed my head checked for buying bags of manure as we were walking around the piles of it all over the place. He said I was welcome to as much as I wanted as long as I brought the shovel. Time is tight for me right now but I may take him up on it before long! Not two miles from my house either. Guess I’m going to have to find some time over the weekend?
I don't recommend using horse manure for your garden. Any kind of weed seed that the horse ate will be passed on to your garden. Cow, chicken or rabbit manure is far better.

Latest posts

Back