What do you think of Elons Electric Pick Up?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fe...k-know-far-elon-musks-electric-pick-up-truck/

What do the American think of this new vehicle ?

No, this isn't the first all-electric, medium-sized pick-up truck (that honour belongs to tiny Bollinger which has such a thing on its stand at the Los Angeles Auto Show), but Elon Musk's company has finally announced its intention to go head to head with the big American car makers by making a truck to compete in what is by far the largest market in the US.

The launch event was held in Los Angeles, California in front of an adoring audience at the opening of the Los Angeles motor show to the public.

Known as the Cybertruck, it is claimed to have the utility of a truck and the performance of a sports car and will go on sale in 2021 priced from $40,000. It has 500-mile plus range and will accelerate from 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds, although presumably that will not be while towing its claimed maximum capacity of 6,350kg, or with the 6.5-foot long, 2,830-litre load bed fully laden.

Three variants will be launched: single-motor rear drive; twin-motor 4x4; and three-motor 4x4 – and £100 refundable deposits are already been taken on the Tesla website. The vehicle rides on adaptive air suspension and will eventually also be offered with Tesla's autonomous driving system.

TELEMMGLPICT000216959274_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNRLeOtRmQ8g_hknWyBRkga_JkjmpWA5AtB-YqGzahqk.jpeg

A Tesla rendering of the Cybertruck in action.
The ultra-angular, six-seat, 1,587kg payload Tesla pick-up's stainless steel-bodied styling had been inspired by Giorgetto Giugiaro's polygonal "folded paper" design for the 1976 Lotus Esprit, which was also the hero car in the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me (when it converted into a submarine, remember?).

In reference to the stainless steel body construction, the press material says: "If there was something better, we’d use it."

The other inspirational movie link is the 1981 DMC DeLorean which also had a stainless-steel body, was also designed by Giugiaro and was the time machine hero in the Back To The Future franchise.

TELEMMGLPICT000216959266_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqud0SRb-H-usD5xKV5LkpN3GTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

The interior provides seating for six (including a small 'jump seat' between the two front seats in the manner of the original Land Rover)
Pick-ups are the most profitable vehicles made by America's big three (General Motors, Ford and Chrysler) and the best-selling vehicles in the US. So you get an idea of the scale, Ford's market-leading F-series pick-up is the world's best-selling vehicle.

Simple, big and powerful, pick-ups perform a role that is usually taken by vans in Europe, as well as being lifestyle vehicles for a hip and trendy outdoors life. They've often been responsible for turning around the fortunes of the American car makers and although Japanese manufacturers have for a long time hungrily viewed this market, vehicles from Toyota and Honda have struggled to fully compete in what is a fiercely patriotic sector.

“We need sustainable energy now," said Musk at the launch. "If we don’t have a pick-up truck we can’t solve it. The top three-selling vehicles in America are pick-up trucks. To solve sustainable energy we have to have a pick-up truck."

Cybertruck-2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqvvqLO9DnpfBmqXV7eBKL3-F2xGHPeCGrSEmcyS5-A5I.jpeg

If the Cybertruck had been revealed by Ford we'd have had to call it the Angular...
As with all announcements from Tesla, the internet is agog with speculation about the new pick-up, although there are some doubts as to whether Musk's latest move will cut much ice with the traditional pick-up's tough, hard-bargaining markets mainly in the agricultural, construction and extractive industries.

One website noted that although a build-up Twitter activity has been mainly concentrated around the coasts of America, trucks sell best in the vast country's Mid-West and central areas, where perhaps folk are too busy driving their pick-ups to bother with posting tweets.

TELEMMGLPICT000216942063_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwR1x9v3lROspWfQfx1lDyzo.jpeg

Musk continues to play to the partisan crowd after metal balls cracked the supposedly bullet-proof window glass
Nor did things go entirely to plan at the launch as Musk demonstrated the Cybertruck's armoured glass, which is claimed to withstand hammer blows and bullets. In a demonstration of the glass's properties he asked a company employee to throw a large metal ball at a side window and it shattered, twice.

"Maybe that was a little too hard," said Musk. "Oh man, it didn't go through, [though] there's room for improvement."

Tesla Cybertruck specifications
RANGE
500-plus miles

ACCELERATION 0-60 mph in less than 2.9 seconds

SEATING CAPACITY up to six adults

BODY CONSTRUCTION 30X cold-rolled stainless steel

LOAD BED LENGTH 6.5 feet

STORAGE CAPACITY 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage including the load bed and under the bonnet

TOWING CAPACITY more than 14,000lb

PAYLOAD up to 3,500lb

SUSPENSION TRAVEL 4 inches in either direction

TOUCHSCREEN SIZE 17 inches

Cybertruck-1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxD7GB4cHvhVO1C6dHTR4S6XZ_3ZhEr2c9HbpkJRyVww.jpeg

It's futuristic all right - but how will that play with the staunchly conservative pick-up market?

Ok, so it goes 500 miles, then what? I pull out a generator and sit on the side of the road and wait for it to recharge? What's the range with the AC on or the heater/defroster? 6.5 foot bed? I need an 8 foot bed. No thanks. I'll stick with a real pickup. Besides I wouldn't be seen in something that damn ugly.

Wow, suprised at all the negativity with it. Ok, I agree it’s butt ugly. Other than that it’s really impressive. It can tow 14,000lbs, compete, and win, in most 1/4mike drag races, self drive, bullet resistant, (obviously not proof) and go 500 miles. This thing has a lot going for it technically that blow away existing trucks. Looks are definitely not one of those...

I still don't trust those cars work the way it should come a hard,cold winter..sure CA temps are another ball game.
The door handles are flush with the car and push in. Up north they were having problems with them freezing shut. They resolved it, probably with a little heat strip or something. So far the company has been really good about fixing any issues for free. I guess with any new technology there are going to be unexpected issues. No doubt in the extreme cold batteries aren’t going to get their full potential either. I agree that I really don’t want an electric yet, but give it another 5 years and I expect most of the bugs will be worked out.

Latest posts

Back