Wake up call!!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Reaction score
Our current crisis was truly a wake up call. A year ago, I would have laughed and think preppers are crazy and worry warts. But, after our recent crisis and events, I have never been so scared. I have no food, no toilet papers and ammo. I don’t even have basic skills to live in the wild or how to start a fire. Luckily I still have a secure corporate job, which I am very thankful for. That is why I joined preppers community. So if the next wave hit, I will be more skillful, knowledgeable and be more prepared.

Last edited:
Welcome from Fin,
start with the basics ; shelter,water,food,fire and security, this is kinda a lengthy thingy this prepping and prolly no shortcuts excists,keep an open mind
and questions,those are always good and there are no silly ones,just good ones.

Hi Brittany, glad you got your eyes opened by the situation...
Hope your job is really so secure as described. Start reading everything you can, get your stuff together slowly, no panic purchases. Just get things together slowly which you know you would not like to live without, go to another thread where I wrote to another beginner here. There is a bit of info and a few pictures to get you into the mood of prepping. Get a trustworthy vehicle which could drive off road, get the clothes you need to camp in, get the food you can keep for a long time. Ask questions, take notes and practice things with others with the same ideas and impression as you. NOT WITH ANY ONE ELSE. They might think you are doing a panic thing and laugh at your
over-reaction to the situation...
Don't be scared, be prepared! Good reading for you: Discussion in 'Lady Preppers' started by DoraExplores, Saturday at 11:10 AM.

Hi Brittany, welcome to the forum, don't be scared, be prepared. Get your things slowly purchased, no panic buys. Talk only to the persons who you think are thinking the same way, the others will just think you are over-reacting. Keep your goals in sight and work slowly towards them. Make a plan of attack just as you would in your job, then work the plan slowly through and changing it all the time to adjust to your learning process. Get some books of edible plants, camping recipes and learn. Get a car or truck which can get off-road a bit and still survive. Get some heavyduty clothes and boots. Get some camping stuff and experience. Get together with like minded and practice everything you can. Go to the thread here and see what I posted for another beginning female in the same situation as yourself. GP
Discussion in 'Lady Preppers' started by DoraExplores, Saturday at 11:10 AM.

Hi Brittany, glad you got your eyes opened by the situation...
Hope your job is really so secure as described. Start reading everything you can, get your stuff together slowly, no panic purchases. Just get things together slowly which you know you would not like to live without, go to another thread where I wrote to another beginner here. There is a bit of info and a few pictures to get you into the mood of prepping. Get a trustworthy vehicle which could drive off road, get the clothes you need to camp in, get the food you can keep for a long time. Ask questions, take notes and practice things with others with the same ideas and impression as you. NOT WITH ANY ONE ELSE. They might think you are doing a panic thing and laugh at your
over-reaction to the situation...
Don't be scared, be prepared! Good reading for you: Discussion in 'Lady Preppers' started by DoraExplores, Saturday at 11:10 AM.
Thanks! Im currently reading Jim Cobb, “Preppers Long Term Survival Guide” it’s a start. Then watching a lot of survival shows. I can’t really discuss much about this with my city friends and family. They are starting to think im wack job! But, it’s nice not to be judged for once.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

First step, DO NOT START BUYING STUFF. Focus on food, water, water purifiers / filters (okay just this stuff, LOL) You don't need MRE'S (Meals Ready to Eat) yet. You don't need a BOB (Bug Out Bag ), focus on reading, researching and learning. After you have acquired some knowledge and a game plan. Then you can make informed buying choices that fit YOUR game plan.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

First step, DO NOT START BUYING STUFF. Focus on food, water, water purifiers / filters (okay just this stuff, LOL) You don't need MRE'S (Meals Ready to Eat) yet. You don't need a BOB (Bug Out Bag ), focus on reading, researching and learning. After you have acquired some knowledge and a game plan. Then you can make informed buying choices that fit YOUR game plan.
I live in a two story apartment and the chance of high magnitude earthquakes is inevitable. I’m definitely need a bug out bag. Unfortunately, people like me can easily displaced.

I live in a two story apartment and the chance of high magnitude earthquakes is inevitable. I’m definitely need a bug out bag. Unfortunately, people like me can easily displaced.

You have lived in a High Magnitude Earthquake area since you moved into your place and have not needed or used a Bug Out Bag since you moved in, why the sudden hurry now? Take the time to take deep breath and return to a normal state of calm. Plan, then plan some more and then plan some more. What is needed for each plan of actions? What skills will be needed for each plan? What will activate your plan of action? There are many questions for you to research and none of it requires you buy a single thing. Once you know where you are going, why your are going, how you are going to get there, what you will need once you get there, and what is plan B, if Plan A does not work? Then ask the same question regarding Plan B. Once you have all your exit plans worked out, then you should start looking to purchase the needed items to accomplish your goals. No sense buying a tent if your Plan A calls for living on a sail boat.

I live in a two story apartment and the chance of high magnitude earthquakes is inevitable.

I’m about 2 hours south of LA, so I probably feel the same earthquakes you do. Preparing to survive them is only the first step. What follows the earthquake could be just as challenging for those who aren’t prepared.

I lived in the SF Bay Area during the "Last Big Quake" that collapsed freeways, bridge section and closed many business. In fact I was at work when it hit and had to inspect the building for injured employee's and any dangerous structural damage or chemical spills. The only Bug Out Bag needed was luggage, as there were plenty of open motels, hotels and open roads to travel out of the area. While earthquakes are scary, few were forced from their homes and needed to BUG OUT. That is what I mean about research your plans. If it is earthquakes, then cash on hand and a place to go is part of the plan. No BUG OUT Bag needed, luggage will be sufficient. If you are talking forest fire, yeah your are going to want and need a BUG OUT BAG. Now you are in a pandemic, so what is needed? Plan before purchase as the next phase is likely going to be a major financial depression and you may need every penny you can lay your hands on. A food shortage is also being predicted, have you filled up every available space with extra food? How about water if the water treatment plants run out of the required chemicals needed to treat the water, another prediction. Lots of research required.

I can’t really discuss much about this with my city friends and family. They are starting to think im wack job! But, it’s nice not to be judged for once.

I would focus on learning and applying the basics of preparation. Maybe just by setting an example you can convince your friends and family that being prepared for the unpredictable times ahead is just a fact of life nowadays.

Welcome. I agree with most of the above advice, learning is important first. My advice is the same for everyone starting out. Think about what you really need in life, in order of importance. Water is #1, food is #2, shelter and then security. As Urban said above I would buy things for the first two at least. Having a few cases of water on hand is good, but having a good water filter is really important. If your tap water doesn’t work for whatever reason then having a way to make water safe to drink is really important. You don’t want to get sick right at the start of an emergency. Now is the time to accumulate as much food as you can also. Mostly canned and boxed/dry goods that require simple preparation, non perishable stuff. I love things like canned chicken that can be added to so many different dishes. I don’t know how you feel about firearms but since they are available now it’s a good idea to have a way to defend yourself.
I am not preaching about the apocalypse here. I am concerned with the economic situation in this country and the world though. If you watch the evening news then you would have to be brain dead to not see the likelihood of a bad recession or worse. I don’t believe you need to take courses from Bear Gryllis (a nature survivalist), but think investing in at least one good water filter and stocking up on food is smart while you still can. Some toilet paper would be nice too but good luck with that right now. Best of luck to you, and us all.

Ma'am not only do you need a BOB, but also well inspected MULTIPLE routes out of town NOT using the road system, At the very least a folding bicycle to carry you and your BOB at 15 MPH along paths, lanes, storm drains etc, You also need to buy and learn how to use a gun. You can easily carry ready to consume food for two days without cooking.

You may also need to look at escape mechanisms to help you get out of your apartment.

Search our Database for URBAN prepping issues.

welcome you are ok for now,you do need to stock up on food I would also be buying bottled water,if you plan on riding this out where you are ,you are going to need good locks on your doors and bars on your windows (LA not a good place to be if this goes bad) don't let anyone BS you if this goes bad you will be needing a gun the longer you wait the harder it will be to get one a shotgun is simple to use and aiming is not so critical just point it at your target the gun will do the rest cylinder bore will give you the widest pattern ,,,,,,,,,

don't hesitate to ask questions

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back