Using a microwave oven against an EMP as a shield

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly1

Reaction score
Yup as expected a whole lotta waffle about it. Do you have a leccy gizmo you want to protect from EMP? Will it fit in your microwave? If it is a massive thing like a genny (build a Faraday cage - it is very simple and need not cost mega fund) if it is small then just use your microwave and shut it in there ... DON'T TURN IT ON!
Want to check if your microwave oven is keeping waves out? Do you have a portable (cell or mobile phone)? Do you have a landline or a pal who can help? Stick the device in the oven and shut the door (do not operate the oven part!) and then simply call your number. If it does not ring or light up then your seal is good and MAY protect against EMP (there are a lot of variables okay the big one is proximity) and your detectors will hopefully work. There is ZERO point in shielding ANYTHING (phones, lappies computers that need a network as there will NOT be a network in many areas post EMP ) but Co meters, Dosimeters, digital thermometers and small but vital things may be saved.

No mater what I wish you logical thinking.

Yup as expected a whole lotta waffle about it. Do you have a leccy gizmo you want to protect from EMP? Will it fit in your microwave? If it is a massive thing like a genny (build a Faraday cage - it is very simple and need not cost mega fund) if it is small then just use your microwave and shut it in there ... DON'T TURN IT ON!
Want to check if your microwave oven is keeping waves out? Do you have a portable (cell or mobile phone)? Do you have a landline or a pal who can help? Stick the device in the oven and shut the door (do not operate the oven part!) and then simply call your number. If it does not ring or light up then your seal is good and MAY protect against EMP (there are a lot of variables okay the big one is proximity) and your detectors will hopefully work. There is ZERO point in shielding ANYTHING (phones, lappies computers that need a network as there will NOT be a network in many areas post EMP ) but Co meters, Dosimeters, digital thermometers and small but vital things may be saved.

No mater what I wish you logical thinking.

I have seen conflicting reports on whether a microwave is an effective faraday cage against EMP. The idea might have come from its use against a solar flare but, apparently EMP waves are different.

15 Things You Think You Know About Faraday Cages But You Don’t.

One I saw a while back actually went into the details of why it wouldn't work. Have to go see if I can find it.

never could see the point in shielding any electronic equipment when post collapse the system it relies on to work dosent.

You really don't see the point of having a handheld computer, video camera, audio recorder, data storage device? It doesn't rely on a network for those things. That's just a cell phone. There's walkie talkies. Ham radios. Detection and analytical equipment, infrared/night vision, etc...

You really don't see the point of having a handheld computer, video camera, audio recorder, data storage device? It doesn't rely on a network for those things.
no I dont, I've got no use for those things post societal collapse.
I can see the point of growing my own food and being self reliant.
but then I always was different!

Last edited:
no I dont, I've got no use for those things post societal collapse.
I can see the point of growing my own food and being self reliant.
but then I always was different!

You also live in a fairly temperate climate where rain is abundant and it doesn't get all that cold or hot.

I'm not so concerned with microchip technology either but, I would appreciate having a working well pump, a way to stay warm that isn't a lit up beacon for miles around and a way to cook that won't let people in the vicinity know that we are cooking something delicious so, come and get it. A means of transportation that would minimize exposure time would also be nice. (Electric ATV's run almost silent).

There is a saying "God made men. Col. Colt made them equal". Those who have at least some working technology after an EMP or CME, will have an edge on survival over those who do not. Technology, such as the ability to communicate over distances (without having to send smoke signals), the ability to travel quickly from one spot to another, say to patrol a property line, field or recon a potential threat, and then report back, will have a survival advantage.

Don't NEED it but, WSHTF, I'll take any advantage I can get.

Last edited:
Can just talk - or write - for myself.
Some handy electronics i already own and i keep it because it could be helpful in other situations like an SHTF - just normal outdoor things.
And....
It dosn't cost me so much to store it EMP save. If i don't need it after the apocalypsis then i still can trow it away.

I've never bothered with communication devices because I wouldnt have anyone to communicate with post SHTF and anyway if I had any of that stuff it would just be tossed in a drawer until TSHTF.
as for patrolling that will be done on foot, much quieter and I dont have to go that far anyway, any kind of vehicle will be noticed post SHTF when everything is quiet and still, this is a low population agricultural area and strangers get noticed QUICK.
my post SHTF life will not be dependent on technology, it will be simple and basic, and more natural than the lifestyle we live now.
all technology will eventually fail without a manufacturing base and a supply chain and probably at the worst possible moment.

Last edited:
Since microwaves are about 5 inches in length, the microwave will stop anything in that range and longer.

Most likely, they are built to block shorter lengths just for safety margin.

The glass door is the weak link. Usually made from metalized-glass or fitted with a metal screen, they block the least. If you blocked the glass and ran a wire from that to the power supply ground, you would have a sealed cage.

My recent observation. I have a relatively new microwave. I stored some left overs in it and went back in 30 minutes and ants were everywhere. If ants can get in so can other stuff.

I use an microwave for an EMP / CME protector , though none of us has ever went through either so I can not say how protective it will be . However for extra protection , I have my stuff inside EMP bags and then placed in the microwave . Then again I don't know how well those EMP bags work either . About the only thing in the microwave though that I am much concerned about , would be my old Civil Defense Radiation detector . It is just like the one shown on the movie " blast from the past " . Really though , my radiation detector is so old school , that I have my doubts an EMP or CME would effect it anyway . All the other electronic gismos I am prepared to live without for the decades ahead .

I use an microwave for an EMP / CME protector , though none of us has ever went through either so I can not say how protective it will be . However for extra protection , I have my stuff inside EMP bags and then placed in the microwave . Then again I don't know how well those EMP bags work either . About the only thing in the microwave though that I am much concerned about , would be my old Civil Defense Radiation detector . It is just like the one shown on the movie " blast from the past " . Really though , my radiation detector is so old school , that I have my doubts an EMP or CME would effect it anyway . All the other electronic gismos I am prepared to live without for the decades ahead .

For best protection triple bag them. 2 bags showed great protection, but not 100% like 3 bags.

I just happen to have 4 microwaves, one can be a trial. I have a hacked cell number and a Scamazon salvage microwave.

I can call the number, and if it rings it will cause the CFR to fire at it.

If your phone is turned on and inside a Faraday cage, the battery will be depleted very quickly.

It will boost its transmission strength to max in an attempt to contact a tower.

Besides, what's the point of putting it in a Faraday cage with the power on? It won't receive or transmit anything anyway. Might as well be off.

Direction of signal plays a role, too. And just because a bug can squeeze between two pieces of metal doesn't mean a signal can.

A typical microwave is 5 inches in length. It will not fit through a space that a cockroach can slip into.

The wavelength of AC as used in the home can't get through a chain link fence. The chain link fence looks like a brickwall to that wavelength.

Latest posts

Back