Those strong enough to speak up for FREEDOM!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you talking about coming west on Imperial or El Segundo Blvd.? I have never seen a worse area in Los Angeles than Watts although there are scarier areas. One is Ladera Heights and one is near the Colosseum and USC called The Jungle. But this was years ago.

So are you talking about coming west on Imperial or El Segundo Blvd.? I have never seen a worse area in Los Angeles than Watts although there are scarier areas. One is Ladera Heights and one is near the Colosseum and USC called The Jungle. But this was years ago.
It’s been 5 years ago, I was only there for 7. Not the worst period of my life.
Maybe one of the most eye opening of what things can be. Coached a club team at USC, had a kid make national finals. Got to drive a Porsche. mine, through Hollywood, with the girl I took to my JR prom 40 yrs ago. Things I never dreamed I would do.
I love my life on the ranch now. I feel complete.

Last edited:
Rockwell International. Aerospace Co. We were working on the set of 18 GPS satellites at the time.
Also where I met my husband, and we married in 83

Of course I know Rockwell. My father worked for McDonnell Douglas which is why we moved to Almost Heaven. But we have something in common. When I moved to El Segundo I met my wife in an English class in high school there. This was 1963-1964.

I lived and worked in the SFand Antelope valley, got stuck going to central LA to get product to sell In Vernon. Going to El Segundo to get racks, and they wondered why I wasn’t doing 60 hours a week cause of the freeways.

Well, I can vouch for your 60 hours on the freeway if you want backpay?

I just flew in for an orientation day. Was really working in Sunnyvale. Traffic was notoriously bad there, too. No more California for me. Traffic for me now is a slow tractor on a dirt road. Or a horse and buggy.

One is Ladera Heights and one is near the Colosseum and USC called The Jungle. But this was years ago.

It’s still a verrry bad area if you aren’t black. My daughter had a chance to go to USC. We talked her out of it.

I just flew in for an orientation day. Was really working in Sunnyvale. Traffic was notoriously bad there, too. No more California for me. Traffic for me now is a slow tractor on a dirt road. Or a horse and buggy.

Driving is much, much worse now, 1000 times. Nobody living there can move very much. Commuting is impossible. I have not been to El Secundo or Southern California in maybe 5 years.

Looking at a sat image, it looks like there are three El Segundos. East is all commercial, Northwest is a bunch of houses packed together like sardines in a can, and Southwest is a giant chemical plant.
Not seeing the attraction...

All beach communities, at least in California, are packed together. The fact is El Segundo is an island. To the west is the ocean and a highway, Vista del Mar, from which you cannot see the town because of a sand hill. To the north is LAX. To the south, Standard Oil, to the east the aerospace companies. The major problem is something nobody has touched upon, the expansion of LAX and increased noise. But the physical setting and social setting of that town is very good. It is shared by some communities to the south along the coast, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, the Hollywood Riveria section of Torrance, and most of all El Segundo's neighbor one mile away, El Porto (now part of Manhattan Beach).

When you are a teenager these places are very nice to live in and you as a teenager realize this. As an adult, this is a small world in which I do not want to live.

All beach communities, at least in California, are packed together. The fact is El Segundo is an island. To the west is the ocean and a highway, Vista del Mar, from which you cannot see the town because of a sand hill. To the north is LAX. To the south, Standard Oil, to the east the aerospace companies. The major problem is something nobody has touched upon, the expansion of LAX and increased noise. But the physical setting and social setting of that town is very good. It is shared by some communities to the south along the coast, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, the Hollywood Riveria section of Torrance, and most of all El Segundo's neighbor one mile away, El Porto (now part of Manhattan Beach).

When you are a teenager these places are very nice to live in and you as a teenager realize this. As an adult, this is a small world in which I do not want to live.
All the big cities in CA are that way. Outside city of LA, you have smaller cities and it’s just nothing but urban sprawl. SD is the same.
Bay area is the same, but in half the area of LA.
I found a place up in the hills, 12 miles from my wife’s clinic in a minor city To the south. I usually head north to a small city that I compare to Mayfield from Leave it to Beaver. When I was getting shown around by the clinic owners, they were talking about where their kids had been the day before. All over town.
I do fear the scum from one of those 3 airport cities finding there way here. Minor sideshows have been on the main road off the freeway. Locked and loaded, always.

Latest posts

Back