Tactical clothing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bought 2 pair of 5.11 a few weeks ago but got them on sale as new old stock. but have since then bought two pair of the LA police gear. don't like to waste money. never know when we will really need it. not that paper money will do any good at that point

I scrounge a lot of tactical clothes.

For my environment, I discovered guyabara shirts. They'er a mexican/cuban style shirt that is practical and dressy at the same time.

The shirt isn't meant to be tucked in, so it works to conceal handguns in the waistband. The pleats in the shirt brake up the outline of the piece

I can see dressing a certain way to be easily identifiable to "your side" in combat. Otherwise, I can't even figure out what "tactical" clothing is. Vertx has a rain coat that has side zips to access holsters, and certain features that facilitate weapons and comms use, and that makes sense. But pants? Too me, not much difference between tan 5.11 pants and tan wrangler carpenter jeans.

If I put on some armor, and a battle belt, and some nice loose fitting, comfortable Levi's jeans, I would think I would still be able to do all the things I needed to do, and still be wearing pants at the end of the day.

Given a choice between range time, or buying a grand worth of tactical clothing, I know what I would choose. I'm not dissing tactical stuff, I like it, but I don't think getting completely kitted out with NFM group clothing is going to be what keeps me alive.

One of the reasons Military and contracting companies choose suppliers, is simply who can deliver large numbers of items. There are some great small companies making great gear, but they can't handle an order of say, one hundred vests to be delivered in one week.

And honestly, we are preppers, not combat troops.

If a 60 year old lady with diabetes and arthritis has fired 5K rounds through her AR, and has an extra mag and the mindset to shoot to kill, I don't want to be shot at by her, period. I don't care if she is in curlers and a terry cloth bathrobe, wearing bunny slippers and clenching a Virginia Slim cigarette in her teeth. I'll pass on that fight.

If a 25 year old man who is a gym rat and marathon runner has fired one magazine through his AR standing at a range bench, and he isn't quite sure of himself, and is fully decked out in brand new, unused armor, pants, battle belt, combat boots etc. etc. ... I might have a go at that.

Well, when those gyms close, and they will i would hope you'll learn to think differently

a little incite for you regarding what i will wear and for my location. Although not knowing what your beliefs are. Does anyone know what being a Medium means, also being Clairvoyant, I'm both. I'm not planning for the next winter storm. I am planning for what is coming, and yes, it will be coming in your lifetime, very soon. My advice, stock up. The east coast will not be a good place to be.
It has already been pretold for multiple hundreds of years. I just have to read Daniel and Revelations, it pretty much sums it up. In addition, if you research the length of life of a democracy, you will see that we are at the typical end of ours, only the prayers of the saints are holding it together.

Also level 3a armor is considered light weight. Only able to stop some hand gun and shotgun rounds NOT rifle rounds. Level 4 plate is what stops most everything.
http://infidelbodyarmor.com/body-armor-101-ezp-36

Don’t waste your money buying 511 gear. It’s overpriced and they get there stuff from the same factories that the cheaper stuff comes from. Propper, Blackhawk, LA police gear, these are all middle range and well made.

If you really wanna waste money go here
http://www.cryeprecision.com/

Then you can brag about your expensive gear that tore just as quick as the cheaper stuff. Lol..We had a new Contractor that showed up in this stuff. 300 dollar pants ripped on day 2. Then he started asking us were we got our stuff and was shocked he could buy 10 pairs of pants for what he payed. Lol.. I bring a sewing machine on almost all overseas deployments just to make a little side cash patching and fixing gear.
You have the sound of experience. I appreciate your input and will be stashing this info in my brain bank.

What is that I see vanishing over the horizon? oh its the preppers best camouflage GREY MAN. If TSHTF my scope will be tracking anyone I see wearing pucker tactical kit approaching my AO. I reckon most of our US compatriots during a SHTF scenario would get VERY nervous if they see anything like GI Joe coming their way. Tac gear is fine for our sort of EDC gear IN MODERATION but going full on is going to make you VERY interesting to anyone on point. Beside as others point out much of the civilian gear is better made than Tac gear. The grey man armed with a accessorised civilian gun is not going to be as worry as a dude with a full set of tactical gear and a black rifle. (though I do understand that huge numbers of Americans carry AR15s these days.

Blend in and don't get noticed is much better than looking cool and having every rifle for a thousand yards looking for the gap in your vest.

Last edited:
On another respected forum a while back a member posted a photo of him, his three sons and his brother in law all kitted out in the same full on tactical clothing. He asked for opinions on the suitability of his bug out gear. He did not get the praise he was expecting, almost everyone said they would automatically consider his group as a VERY HIGH THREAT when compared to if they dressed in outdoorsy civilian gear. There gear look as cool as hell but it advertised them as a clear and present danger to other survivalists protecting their homes. Bunny bashing, Bambi bashing, Recce / Recon/ etc has a good used to cammo gear in the woods but obviously not in cities and vice versa.

79A04ECA-AF9B-45E2-B7B4-6A3DDF7026C1.jpeg
Going in ACU/BDU cami’s and the like is probably a bad idea however, the people wearing jeans and regular clothing ARE the ones that’ll be targeted first, thugs go for what appears easy and weak. I believe that what I call “Contractor tactical” is fine. It’s still operational and looks serious enough to ward off the idiots. Take these guys (in photo) and remove the drop leg, plate carrier and AR and this is what I mean. Now some of you think it’s better to look like a non trained individual however, there is a certain person you wish to discourage like, your common thug. They will hit the easy instead of what COULD be trained. It’s not enough gear to scream “I’m a navy SEAL” but it is enough to be highly functional and give a certain “type” enough to make them think twice. This is just my experience with 2nd and 3rd world holes like Chad or parts of South America I’ve worked. Anyone that looked capable they stayed away from. People in common clothing usually got mugged by machete, revolver or old rifle carrying thugs. Regardless of area I have found that people are the same when the money and food goes away. They attack the easy first. Then try to build up to the well armed. The well armed are usually the last hit not the first. Go to parts of South America where the poor butts up to tourists and richer areas. Guess who doesn’t get mugged there. The cops the rich and the contractors(security). The locals sometimes get hit but, not too often either (usually too close to home, politics) however the common looking person is always targeted. They assume they don’t have the means to defend or stop them. Now some will say “ that’s the point and your advantage” WRONG! You are now facing a situation where you more than likely will have to kill or maim to keep what’s yours. So in my experience and opinion a little show of power keeps the thugs at bay until nothing will but, by then you’d have to face them anyways. People all too often think like the good guys they are. This is a fatal flaw. Nature hunts the weak. Animals go for the easy. Common looking clothing screams easy. Jeans are piss poor survival clothing anyways. No survival expert worth a damn recommends jeans.

Last edited:
Hai / yes sensai "Civilian Operator" cherry picks the best of civvy and military and security industry practice. Civvy approach shoes / boots like Merrills Salomon etc, Multi pocket plain cargos, possibly a vest under a polo shirt. Look at the guys in your image, take the carbines off them give them SBRs or Bullpups instead and pop a decent outdoor jacket on them and they blend in to a point of discreteness that works who to trash and opfor alike they ooze " professional". But under the coat is firepower and protection.

Course the tourists don't have any situational awareness of whats going on around them where as the enlightened will. ( Much needed in London and Birmingham these days)

I think most career bad guys can detect if potential prey is self confident in their behaviour and mannerisms and their instincts make them hold back.

As they say MOVE WITH PURPOSE, don't doddle, don't read maps :)

now in all fairness I would like some body armor but it is not much of a priority with me,,
if and that is a big IF the SHTF it would be nice to have,,,myself I go camo because that will fit my environment in the case of SHTF,,,,for everyday wear just blend in even your ride matters in this,older VS new,= older is better there is no misconception that you have a fat wallet so thugs don't look to hard at you,clothing that has that worn look is a plus when out,,(most folks dress in their better clothing when going to town )

in other words old ride worn older clothing is an indication of not having much,,,,

NICE CLOTHS A NEW RIDE MEANS YOU ARE DOING WELL AND WORTH THE RISK TO ROB EVEN IF ALL THEY GET IS YOUR RIDE,,,,,,

WAS LOOKING GOOD WORTH THE BEATING YOU JUST TOOK

out for a day of shopping, lol, for what and where. People think that when the SHTF that stores will still be open, that you'll be able to get gas for your cars. Think again. When you think of what's coming, think of the most unimaginable situation. From the things i have seen, there won't be as many people around as you're planning to shoot. plan on seeing them already dead in the street from the sickness that's coming.. Hope those guy's in the picture have something for their legs. I'm going for a leg shot and bleed out first, but if they can struggle enough to get up it won't be for long. Just hunker down for a few months.

out for a day of shopping, lol, for what and where. People think that when the SHTF that stores will still be open, that you'll be able to get gas for your cars. Think again. When you think of what's coming, think of the most unimaginable situation. From the things i have seen, there won't be as many people around as you're planning to shoot. plan on seeing them already dead in the street from the sickness that's coming.. Hope those guy's in the picture have something for their legs. I'm going for a leg shot and bleed out first, but if they can struggle enough to get up it won't be for long. Just hunker down for a few months.
has the SHTF yet,,,,no it has not,,,,,,,you miss my point entirely we aren't in South America or one of the other shit holes around the world,,,,,we are more prone to suffer thru a earthquake ,tornado, or hurricane or a sever winter storm ,a few months at the worse,,,,to many here hoping for the SHTF,,,,
perp by all means better safe than sorry, will the SHTF,it could happen,,,,will it ,I highly doubt it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back