Natural gas pipeline on land....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
I am looking at a larger piece of land. I have found one that has a natural gas pipeline running across it - a couple of hundred feet or so. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this? It is far from a major population center - at least 100 miles. There are some little bergs closer, 200 people, 300 people, etc but there is nothing nearby to naturally cause people to drop by accidentally.

I am looking at a larger piece of land. I have found one that has a natural gas pipeline running across it - a couple of hundred feet or so. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this? It is far from a major population center - at least 100 miles. There are some little bergs closer, 200 people, 300 people, etc but there is nothing nearby to naturally cause people to drop by accidentally.
I don't see any advantage of having a pipeline crossing your property. The main disadvantage that I see is that the pipeline owners have a maintenance right-of- way across your property. They can access your property any time they want to inspect and maintain their pipeline. Some pipeline right of ways are wide enough to add additional pipelines if needed. Check the deed very closely for all easements that cross this property.

only real advantage i see having a gas line across the property. is setting up a deer stand somewhere on it.then set up feeders in each dirction from the stand.but that's only if deer.pigs to what ever is plentiful in the area and like artic pointed out.check for easements crossing the property.only 1 can prove to be not good for you when it comes to other's.

Yup, read the contract very well. I know a fellow with a similar right-of-way pipeline on his place. Good news, some other company wanted to run another line in the same easement. He got a 4 or 5 digit check to allow them through. He could have fought it in court (and eventually lost), but that would have just delayed it 4 years.

Another disadvantage when they maintain. . . We have a pipeline that runs back behind our house that gets maintained regularly. They cut down shrubs, tree limbs, cut grass, etc., But they also don't care if you happen to have an electric fence line to keep your cattle in. They will drop stuff on it shorting out your line and sometimes even breaking it. It has happened so often we actually called to complain. My granddaughter was scheduled to come for a stay with me that day and I didn't need to worry about the bull jumping to get to the heifers up front. I had them come and fix it that day because my husband was at work and granddaughter was too young for me to take her out to fix myself. Their solution was that they will just spray it with chemicals next time. . . No thanks. Now we just try to keep neighbors side maintained as best as can away from fence line.

I don't know about in the lower 48 but in Alaska along the Trans Alaska Pipeline, when the pipeline is above ground, there is NO shooting allowed within 1 mile from either side of the pipeline. That may not apply here but it would be worth looking into before buying a property with an above ground pipeline.

Latest posts

Back