multi purpose knife

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have many purposes, therefore I have many knives.........:)

I personally do not like Rambo or Bowie type knives. Most on the market are cheap junk. I like a knife I could clip in my pocket or a folder on in sheath on my belt. I want it to be discreet. That is an EDC knife. I learned along time ago, for me at least, there is no one perfect multipurpose knife. If you want a big knife that can be used for chopping it is too big to filet a fish or bone out a deer very well. If I want to chop I will grab a hatchet or ax as it will will do the job better. I keep a folding rubber handled filet knife in my pack. I works great for a kitchen knife and a general purpose boning knife. In my pack also carry a fixed blade knife (4" blade) for larger jobs, gutting deer, skinning game. I have a pocket knife for grab and use stuff.

A good friend gave me a New Zealand Dkinox skinning/butchering knife. Its razor shape and a high quality knife. Its so big I dont use it. Its almost cumbersome. Maybe if I used it I would get use to it more. I cant wear it on my belt sitting down as it is 12" long in the case. Thats another reason why I dont carry a Rambo/Bowie type either.

With all that being said if you still want a Rambo style knife.....
Stay away from double edge bladed knives. They tend to have weak blades.
Stay away from hollow handled knives such as those to put matches and other stuff in. The handle is only attached by a pin, hot glue, or a nut. They will usually break where they blade attaches to the handle with little force. Get a knife where the blade and the tang are one piece. The best blade length I find is 4 inch. Dont go over 6 inch. Any skilled outdoorsman can do any task with a 4 inch blade, including skinning an elk. For a self defense knife, a 4 inch blade will easily get to any vital organs in a person.
Use the right tool for the job and the job will be safer. The last thing you want is a mishap with a knife when you cant get to medical services. Been there, did that....different thread.

Although trapper and I are on the same page... I think you can do 90% of tasks with a good bush craft knife. Also a SAK can handle most jobs but, its not a go too for self defense.

pendleton lite hunter.jpg
roach belly.jpg

Both of these blade shapes will do.....

http://www.twowolvesoutdoor.com/csroachbelly.htm

Latest posts

Back