Move to where??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomCitizen

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just another concerned father/husband/son/brother.

I work in defense. I figured I better get out of Illinois while the getting is good.

I am pretty far along in the process. Getting ready to pick a new job. We had settled on Texas or Georgia, more for climate and job reasons, as well as relative proximity to somewhat frequent Caribbean short trips( a favorite of mine).

I had a waking dream of loved ones refugee. We were all sharing stories of how we "got through" combined with visions of how some fared.

Part of my desire to flee Illinois, is the sinking feeling that it might not be the best place when things start sinking. Seeking more affordable land, place where I can find work, places more friendly to second amendment rights.

Georgia and Texas seemed to fit that bill.

My dream made me question that a bit. I am white. My wife is ethnically Mexican. In bad times, would we be safe in Georgia? Not to dump on Georgians, but I have to ask? What about Texas? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just looking out for my people.

Welcome to the forum. Yould fit right in in TX.. Can't speak about GA though.

Hi all.

I work in defense. I figured I better get out of Illinois while the getting is good.

I am pretty far along in the process. Getting ready to pick a new job. We had settled on Texas or Georgia, more for climate and job reasons, as well as relative proximity to somewhat frequent Caribbean short trips( a favorite of mine).

I had a waking dream of loved ones refugee. We were all sharing stories of how we "got through" combined with visions of how some fared.

Part of my desire to flee Illinois, is the sinking feeling that it might not be the best place when things start sinking. Seeking more affordable land, place where I can find work, places more friendly to second amendment rights.

My dream made me question that a bit. I am white. My wife is ethnically Mexican. In bad times, would we be safe in Georgia? Not to dump on Georgians, but I have to ask? What about Texas? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just looking out for my people.
I agree with your thoughts on both Texas and Ga. for temperature and price on land. Honestly they are both my first choices too. As far as being safe in Ga. of course. There are bigoted assholes everywhere, but over all most of the people I’ve met are decent. One thing I don’t like in Ga is the public schools are ranked really low. If I had still had young kids they would have to be in private school here, which is pricey. Overall, I think the economy and education in Texas is much better, but I love the N Ga area for its beauty, weather and laid back pace of life.

Hi all.

I agree with your thoughts on both Texas and Ga. for temperature and price on land. Honestly they are both my first choices too. As far as being safe in Ga. of course. There are bigoted assholes everywhere, but over all most of the people I’ve met are decent. One thing I don’t like in Ga is the public schools are ranked really low. If I had still had young kids they would have to be in private school here, which is pricey. Overall, I think the economy and education in Texas is much better, but I love the N Ga area for its beauty, weather and laid back pace of life. My family escaped Northern Kentucky a long time ago.

Welcome from a top secret location only 145 people know about. I would pick Texas, both are good choices

Lots of Amigos here in this part of Georgia. I have never seen any indications of hostility towards them, but of course, I'm not them.

I do know that contractors love to hire them...

Other concern I have about Texas, is that if the unfettered immigration continues, that one day I would wake up a citizen of Mexico. Of all the former Mexican territories (Arizona, New Mexico, Cali ) Texas seems the least likely to have that scenario play out without plenty of warning. How is the agriculture in Northern Texas? Probably the only thing that seems better in Illinois.

Don't forget Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Utah and Arizona, some of the Southern States are excellent choices like Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas etc... As far as your Wife being ethnically Mexican don't worry about it, my Wife hasn't been discriminated due to her ethnicity, don't worry about part of the Southern State rejoining Mexico ain't going to happen in our life time.

And Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Utah and Arizona, some of the Southern States are excellent choices like Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas etc... As far as your Wife being ethnically Mexican don't worry about it, my Wife hasn't been discriminated due to her ethnicity, don't worry about part of the Southern State rejoining Mexico ain't going to happen in our life time.

And Louisiana

There is a warm weather requirement... :) Montana? Oh hell no!

Welcome to the group.

Can’t speak for Georgia, but I’m in North Alabama, so the weather is close enough. Generally mild winters, very little snow, but be forewarned: if there is snow, everything closes, if there is the threat of snow, everything closes.

We do have tornadoes as well, but not that many, fortunately.

As far as your wife goes, I wouldn’t sweat it. Like Brent said, there are idiots everywhere, but there shouldn’t be more there than anywhere else.

I’m no kind of recruiter either, but North Alabama has a LOT of defense related jobs, due to Redstone Arsenal and NASA. This isn’t south Alabama....

There's a lot of corn risen in N TX. What else I'm not sure. We used to drive thru twice a year as a kid growing up to visit relatives in CO but that's been a few years ago now. Down south, there is a lot of rice being grown and lots of hay fields. Got blueberry farms along with pick your own strawberry farms. Doubtful gets harvested and processed in these parts too. We do raise a nice garden of a variety of produce on our little place.

There's a lot of corn risen in N TX. What else I'm not sure. We used to drive thru twice a year as a kid growing up to visit relatives in CO but that's been a few years ago now. Down south, there is a lot of rice being grown and lots of hay fields. Got blueberry farms along with pick your own strawberry farms. Doubtful gets harvested and processed in these parts too. We do raise a nice garden of a variety of produce on our little place.
What the heck. . . Doubtful? I thought I put in Sorghum

Howdy from east texas.welcome to the forum and family.feel free to roam the threads and post comments. Even start a new one if need be

Latest posts

Back