Maps...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked out some of the Ordinance Survey maps I have 29 of Scotland and with my newly found Silva compass , I have the choice to bug out in any terrain I choose if I have to bug out.

I love using map and compass it is becoming a lost art with all the gps and tech crap.

I used to do a lot of walking in the hills of Scotland and subsequently have all of the OS MAPS also have some from parts of England. Many good times out in the wilds.

I used to do a lot of walking in the hills of Scotland and subsequently have all of the OS MAPS also have some from parts of England. Many good times out in the wilds.

So awesome, i have always wanted to see Scotland. Maybe some day !

wait wait wait.... there are maps on paper? how do you get them out of the screen of the phones and in to a paper? witchcraft i say.

Its such a beautiful country Colt with such a variety of landscapes from rolling hills to rugged mountains the only constant that is lacking is the weather.

I used to love going out on the hills and relying totally on my OS map for direction. There are many instances of people having to be rescued from the mountains some due to accidents and some I think due to people not being fully trained in the use of mmaps and compass work ,

Land navigation is extremely important in remote wilderness areas, having a topo map, compass, protractor and knowledge on how to use them are vital.

Keep in mind that GPS is controlled by the military, they can turn it off. Back in the 90s only the military had access to it because it was filtered. Then it was allowed for civilian use, that can be reversed and there are military contingencies to disable civilian GPS if it is a threat to military operations.

I don't depend on it, I have a nice GPS unit for hiking and navigating but I stay on top of manual skills as well because there may come a time when it doesn't work, heck batteries may become extinct if it isn't shut off or the unit may break - then you are lost in the sauce

Land navigation is extremely important in remote wilderness areas, having a topo map, compass, protractor and knowledge on how to use them are vital.

Keep in mind that GPS is controlled by the military, they can turn it off. Back in the 90s only the military had access to it because it was filtered. Then it was allowed for civilian use, that can be reversed and there are military contingencies to disable civilian GPS if it is a threat to military operations.

I don't depend on it, I have a nice GPS unit for hiking and navigating but I stay on top of manual skills as well because there may come a time when it doesn't work, heck batteries may become extinct if it isn't shut off or the unit may break - then you are lost in the sauce

Yeah map and compass is how i roll.

It's a dying art, I remember when I got sent to Mountain Warfare School in Vermont about 10 years ago, they had a pretty tough navigation course that got half of our class booted because they couldn't navigate without GPS. I got assigned to the scout platoon early on in my career and they really hammered land nav into my skull, I hated being put on the spot about navigation as a private but was glad I got a such a solid foundation in it later on as I rose in rank

I was raised and taught to read maps before the GPS era so I think I will stick to good old fashioned map and compass ,where you gonna be when all the modern technology fails.

Latest posts

Back