Just about had a heart attack today....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
As a prepper, it really sucks when life throws you a curveball that you couldn't prepare for.

This morning, during a meeting at work, it was casually mentioned that my last day would be Friday.

"What?" - (they didn't know I didn't know yet).

So, during the course of this meeting (our department had just been reorganized, and my role went kaput)..... it became apparent to everyone that I was the only person in the department with any (let alone sage-like) knowledge of a certain system. In short, they realized they'd be screwed without me.

So, they wanted to make the case to keep me anyhow. But it's a big corp, so big wigs had to approve, etc. This was at 10am this morning.

All day, I'm like, "What the hell am I going to do right now?"...... (it'd be a BAD week to lose my job).

Finally, at 4pm, they tell me they are keeping me. So, I'm relieved, but still as stressed as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs....

Damn, what a day. I need a drink. A lot of 'em.....

As a prepper, it really sucks when life throws you a curveball that you couldn't prepare for.

This morning, during a meeting at work, it was casually mentioned that my last day would be Friday.

So, during the course of this meeting (our department had just been reorganized, and my role went kaput)..... it became apparent to everyone that I was the only person in the department with any (let alone sage-like) knowledge of a certain system. In short, they realized they'd be screwed without me.

So, they wanted to make the case to keep me anyhow. But it's a big corp, so big wigs had to approve, etc. This was at 10am this morning.

All day, I'm like, "What the hell am I going to do right now?"...... (it'd be a BAD week to lose my job).

Finally, at 4pm, they tell me they are keeping me. So, I'm relieved, but still as stressed as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs....

You need to make sure they dont start looking for a contractor with the knowledge you have to come in as and when.

I pretty much am assuming that (and I'm a contractor myself). I think they'll keep me around long enough to learn the stuff for themselves. But honestly, none of THEM want to do this mundane stuff. I mean, I'm paid OK for it, but it's peanuts compared to what THEY make. It's silly to expect them to do it (and a waste of money and their time), when I'm fairly cheap.

And any new person wouldn't be any cheaper...so it's really more that the re-org was done by higher ups who just didn't have a clue.

Glad it went good for you. Make yourself so valuable and needed that they will never make the mistake again.....Greetings from Germany, GP

I hate when things like that happen. I once worked for a company in NC that was doing a lot of reorganizing which resulted in layoffs. This included laying off some remote staff. One programmer, that I worked with, was on that list. On his last day, I called him up to say "bye" but found out he had never been told. I suggested he needed to talk to his manager, immediately.

The good news, there is an overall personnel shortage everywhere, especially in the TECH industry. It really doesn't matter what the system is, LOGIC is LOGIC. If you understand how data flows, you can adjust the logic to any system. Just put your name out there and your phone will ring off the hook.

Best of luck for a better position.

Good advise all around. Workers (who actually work) are in demand right now. No reason to stick around. I'd get the resume out & quickly find another job.

Then return the love, quit the job. If they're screwed, that's on them. They wanted you gone first. They can offer you a raise if they want to keep you, but it has to justify the risk as you know they already want to ax you. That much stress isn't worth it.

My experience is that being your own boss is the best option. Yes, more stress, but more reward. You can accept the jobs you want & pass on the ones you don't. Good luck with any route you take.

I've mostly worked in the medical field, and it's difficult to imagine how a paramedic can be replaced by a machine or a computer, so I'm fortunate.

I work at home as an EKG tech now (I got hurt working as a medic, and have steel rods, metal screws, and bone transplants in my spine), and I can imagine parts of my job being obsolete in 10 years.

In the meantime, I occasionally write for different magazines, and have completed my first book......which will soon go on Kindle and Amazon, so I have my fingers crossed.

Skilled service / trade people will be some of the last to be replaced. Frycook at MickeyD's is not a skill. Bodyguard will be a booming occupation but very risky, get good insurance.

Skilled service / trade people will be some of the last to be replaced. Frycook at MickeyD's is not a skill. Bodyguard will be a booming occupation but very risky, get good insurance.
I predict that frycook and other similar jobs will be gradually mechanized.

Walmart now has automated checkout. Combine this with the drones that deliver for Amazon, automated assembly lines, and facial-recognition software that could be modified to recognize a perfect hamburger.....and you could have an automated restaurant that gives you perfect service like a giant, sophisticated, walk-in food vending machine.

This may seem unlikely, but--as a professional science fiction writer--I predict such a prototype within ten years, and possibly within 5 years.

We already have prototypes of automated cars that drive themselves, automated assembly lines, implanted chips that have your name and credit card info.....so does anyone disagree with me? Amazon is already part of what's driving retail out of business.

The people who will lose out are unskilled people who won't have jobs.

So, I predict a rise in unemployment, and the crime and drugs that go along with this.

I predict that frycook and other similar jobs will be gradually mechanized.

Walmart now has automated checkout. Combine this with the drones that deliver for Amazon, automated assembly lines, and facial-recognition software that could be modified to recognize a perfect hamburger.....and you could have an automated restaurant that gives you perfect service like a giant, sophisticated, walk-in food vending machine.

This may seem unlikely, but--as a professional science fiction writer--I predict such a prototype within ten years, and possibly within 5 years.

We already have prototypes of automated cars that drive themselves, automated assembly lines, implanted chips that have your name and credit card info.....so does anyone disagree with me? Amazon is already part of what's driving retail out of business.

The people who will lose out are unskilled people who won't have jobs.

So, I predict a rise in unemployment, and the crime and drugs that go along with this.

Kevin the automated burger making machine already exists and are currently being tested in real world conditions. MickeyD's already has automated ordering kiosks and the people flock to use them. Completely automated burger joint within the next 10 years , especially in the Democratic controlled states with their minimum $15.00 wage laws. ROI always wins. Huge unemployment for unskilled people. That is one reason I am against any immigration. We will have a huge number of unskilled workers that will need training or they will bankrupt the nation with welfare costs. Foreign immigrants will only be able to get work if they are willing to work for less, thus driving wages down but our cost of living, taxes will continue to keep going up. Americans will loose out. Simple logic, do I hire somebody that has difficulty speaking and understanding the language or do I hire the equally qualified person who speaks and understands the language. The only benefit the immigrant has to offer is to work for less. ROI rule does not have any humanity, only bottom line justification. If I don't get a return on my investment, I don't invest. Business 101.

I had semi retired and took a job at a retail supply chain. I was fine with it for 9 years. The thing that finally made me leave was my whole department got a .36 cent raise for the year. I was producing at least double than the second highest person and quadruple the lowest producers. The fact that they didn’t value any of that extra work just didn’t sit well with me, so I gave two weeks notice. It was scary yes, as I needed health insurance, but turned out to be a very good move. I think self employment is a really great thing but always give advice about it. You have to be realistic about budgeting and saving. The IRS doesn’t want to hear that your dog ate your homework. If your late on your taxes or payroll they are going to fine you..... as long as you have enough responsibility to keep up with the book work then the possible rewards are so worth it. One smart way towards self independence is to find a couple clients on the side first. Doing that part time will build up the cushion for when you take the jump and go out completely on your own. I really did not want to start another business as I enjoyed my free time. But now, having money again to pursue the things I want or enjoy is a lot more rewarding. I wish you luck Gaz.

That's the weird part. It isn't personal. The new director doesn't even know me from Adam. My role was basically gone with the reorg... Until they realized that there simply isn't anybody in the new model that KNOWS the program or is designated with the responsibility...so an oversight by the higher ups.

I really don't want to leave, as it's a tough ticket to find. It's close to my wife's work (and she can't drive). It's decent pay. It's super low stress. That's not going to be easy to find elsewhere, so I'm definitely gonna stay if they'll keep me.... But, I do want to be prepared if they don't.

As for our own business, we kind of do a bit of that already with the horse boarding. Nice thing is, it helps to pay the mortgage, but we really won't see much more from it. There is a home business I'd like to do (with the shop space), but it is going to require some dough to get that going, and that just isn't in the cards at the moment. Hoping to by next summer though. We'll see how it goes.

For medical, luckily I'm on my wife's insurance (as it was cheaper and more reliable than mine, since I'm a contractor). So I won't lose anything there.

contracts end, simple as that.
the first time I was made redundant was a shock, I had been told I had a job for life like many before me, but recession put paid to that. the other two weren't such a surprise as I was on a building site for the duration and when the sites were finished that was the end of my employment. simples.

Yeah, but mine was touted as opportunity to perm. Just that this place takes forever to perm. I've been here two years as a contractor, with renewals.

Latest posts

Back