I'm going to vent off topic

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I spoke too soon. Checked the outflow trap today and it's overflowing again. Not as heavily, but.....

I was afraid this was going to happen but didn't want to jinx it. When you said it went down only 4", that was the clue.It should have dropped substantially & fairly quickly.

I suspect one of the things you augered opened up a small point, but 'debris' re-clogged it. Maybe a power auger? If this is a regular problem, you might want to get an auger that can attach to a drill. Search ebay for:
Rigid Power Spin Snake Drain Cleaner Auger Cable Tool Original Box Instructions, it's $20 and 'used once' but that's a decent price (attach to your drill). The advantage is that it can clear far faster than hand cranking. And it will do a much better job of tearing out roots.

But again, you need to knock out the roots. See http://www.superterry.com/kill-tree-roots-sewer-line/ , who knew, cheap rock salt (see the amount/timing for using) will kill roots? And you can use it regularly to keep killing roots. Keep in mind that killing some roots may kill the tree/bush.

The REALLY good news is that if it's starting to flow, hopefully you don't have the roots throughout the drain field?

From the last areas that you augered, pick one of them & auger it thoroughly again. Wait a couple of hours, see if the water level drops. If not, pick a second section & auger it again. Wait, check, repeat until you find the section that drops the water level.

there's a company near me, that only charges a little less than $100 to pump it. Hope you find the same.

there's a company near me, that only charges a little less than $100 to pump it. Hope you find the same.
I had it pumped 4 or so years ago and they found the pvc pipe was disconnected from the intake or outtake and the outgoing line had a rock shift underneath which made a hump and messed up the gravity flow. I'm thinking that's happened again. The guy named his company after his dog and on the truck it says that Jesus is the owner. So you can't go wrong with old Ralph.

As long as I don't use lots of water back to back, it will eventually flow without spilling on the ground.

I'll have to wait till husband comes back from his vacation I guess. Have to see how much he spends. ;) I think full repair and cleaning was $550 before.

If I recall, it was $92. We usually have them add some other bacteria and such for about $40 more. We really need to replace the drainfield (i.e. add another one, etc.), but so far, it's just more cost effective to have this done about every 6 months or so. Also, when there was 5 of us living in the house, was a lot more of a demand on it....Now, just the two of us (and we're gone like 11 hours out of the day), so....

Hey Robin. I have a solution for your little problem; an out house. I've got one and it'll never need pumping and will never get pluged.
Just a thought....
Arctic, I've used lots of outhouses when I was young. My grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing, nor did we until I was 5. My son and husband pee outside all the time and in the Spring and Summer we go around the gardens to keep critters away

Arctic, I've used lots of outhouses when I was young. My grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing, nor did we until I was 5. My son and husband pee outside all the time and in the Spring and Summer we go around the gardens to keep critters away
Well Robin, to a man the whole world is our urinal.
When I was a kid I remember some of the old timers who wouldn't have an indoor toilet. They thought it was pretty disgusting to crap in the same building where they eat.
When our house is built we'll have a couple bathrooms. The cabin is just too far away from the septic to justify running a temporary sewer line, but we do have a shower and sink indoors which drains in to a pit.

I actually want to build an outhouse out by the stable. Not exactly sure the best way to go about it, but been researching it. It's FL, so can't dig down too deep.
If you find a way please post. This close to the shore line with our water tablet I don't think it is an option. I know there are some further north from us though.

Well Robin, to a man the whole world is our urinal.
When I was a kid I remember some of the old timers who wouldn't have an indoor toilet. They thought it was pretty disgusting to crap in the same building where they eat.
When our house is built we'll have a couple bathrooms. The cabin is just too far away from the septic to justify running a temporary sewer line, but we do have a shower and sink indoors which drains in to a pit.
I took me a while to figure out why my shrubs kept dying. Finally, I wised up and told them to walk further away from the house where nothing is growing but weeds.

For me, it's not an issue in the morning to just pee outside out by the inner fences (still dark, and neighbors too far to see (and fenced, anyhow)...but we have female boarders who aren't going to do so, hehe.... The stables are quite a trek from the main house, and even though the shop bathroom is available when we are home, when we aren't home, they basically don't have anywhere to go.

I'm thinking we just wouldn't make it very deep, and we'd use bacteria, sawdust, etc. to treat it. We're pretty far inland, so that's a good thing. I just don't want anything that would contaminate the well. One idea was to even make a small concrete vault about 4' down, for it, so that may pan out. For the walls, just 2x4's and plywood. (doesn't really usually get too cold here, so insulation isn't really a need.)

When time to empty, I'd probably just have a sewage company come out and pump it.

We're in an unincorporated area, but I'll still check any local laws regarding it. (though really, nobody would stop me from it, or even see it being done).

I'd do it up nice. Actual toilet seat, power (so motion light, exhaust fan, cooling fan, automatic fragrance, even outlet with USB ports for phones, etc.).

I'd use the tinted corrugated plastic roofing for the ceiling (to let light, but not prying eyes in)...and frosted glass for windows.

I'm thinking I could even have a tube loaded with sawdust, and treatment materials, that could use gravity to deliver a dosed amount with a "flush" like trigger.

I could even splice off an existing water line in the barn, and run it to a small sink in the outhouse (drain water would simply go out to ground) for washing up.

Even put up a little medicine cabinet with mirror door, etc. (with some OTC meds).

My grandma had a bucket of lime in her outhouse. When you finished, you just put a scoop of lime in the hole to keep down the smell.
I keep a bucket of lime in the out house to drop a scoop in after use. I also dump the ashes from the wood stove down the hole plus I hung up a couple air fresheners from the ceiling. I also installed a vent pipe under ground level extending above the peak of the roof. There's little to no smell.

For me, it's not an issue in the morning to just pee outside out by the inner fences (still dark, and neighbors too far to see (and fenced, anyhow)...but we have female boarders who aren't going to do so, hehe.... The stables are quite a trek from the main house, and even though the shop bathroom is available when we are home, when we aren't home, they basically don't have anywhere to go.

I'm thinking we just wouldn't make it very deep, and we'd use bacteria, sawdust, etc. to treat it. We're pretty far inland, so that's a good thing. I just don't want anything that would contaminate the well. One idea was to even make a small concrete vault about 4' down, for it, so that may pan out. For the walls, just 2x4's and plywood. (doesn't really usually get too cold here, so insulation isn't really a need.)

When time to empty, I'd probably just have a sewage company come out and pump it.

We're in an unincorporated area, but I'll still check any local laws regarding it. (though really, nobody would stop me from it, or even see it being done).

I'd do it up nice. Actual toilet seat, power (so motion light, exhaust fan, cooling fan, automatic fragrance, even outlet with USB ports for phones, etc.).

I'd use the tinted corrugated plastic roofing for the ceiling (to let light, but not prying eyes in)...and frosted glass for windows.

I'm thinking I could even have a tube loaded with sawdust, and treatment materials, that could use gravity to deliver a dosed amount with a "flush" like trigger.

I could even splice off an existing water line in the barn, and run it to a small sink in the outhouse (drain water would simply go out to ground) for washing up.

Even put up a little medicine cabinet with mirror door, etc. (with some OTC meds).
My water table is probably 300+ feet down, and my well is over 1/4 mile away. Ground water and well contamination isn't much of a concern for me. I dug the hole about 5 feet deep with a backhoe, until I hit rock and couldn't go any deeper.
I used 2×4 framing for the walls, 2×6 pressure treated floor joists, 3/4" plywood flooring, lap siding and asphalt shingle roofing. I put in two large windows and a real toilet seat for the throne. I installed a vent pipe underground level in the pit extending above the roof peak. No orders. Inside I have a battery powered light and a propane heater. We don't use the heater much unless we're sick. Usually in winter its a quick trip in and out. Outside is a solar power motion sensor light.

I actually want to build an outhouse out by the stable. Not exactly sure the best way to go about it, but been researching it. It's FL, so can't dig down too deep.
Gaz, I built one in fla and it worked fine. The sand is easy to dig, even by hand, and it drains really well. I dug a hole about 4 ft down and 3 feet square. I just stacked cement blocks on their sides so the waste could drain out into the sand. My brother used it for about two years in my back yard, and all his shower and sink water went into it as well. One thing, don’t put it anywhere near your well. The sand is too porous and you don’t want to risk contamination. Another thing is do not go to the county about it. They will shut you down in a second. The powers that be won’t allow a cheap septic system anywhere near Florida, they will make you spend 7 to 10 grand and use a licensed company . Just do it on the down low.

Gaz, I built one in fla and it worked fine. The sand is easy to dig, even by hand, and it drains really well. I dug a hole about 4 ft down and 3 feet square. I just stacked cement blocks on their sides so the waste could drain out into the sand. My brother used it for about two years in my back yard, and all his shower and sink water went into it as well. One thing, don’t put it anywhere near your well. The sand is too porous and you don’t want to risk contamination. Another thing is do not go to the county about it. They will shut you down in a second. The powers that be won’t allow a cheap septic system anywhere near Florida, they will make you spend 7 to 10 grand and use a licensed company . Just do it on the down low.
How far inland were you? Asking cause of water tablet. I know where I'd like one. Already have the bushes cut for girls side and boys side when the kids want to have bonfires and invite half their friends. I've read to just make sure it is 100 ft away from your well or water supply.

Latest posts

Back