If SHTF, how many people do you want in your house/living space?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonto_

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys would prefer to have in terms of how many people you would feel comfortable with. I personally think 50 is my max. Over 50 would be very hard to regulate.

in the current living space 6-8 max.
though I have my share of "entiteled" here too,they would be left out,I'm not willing to strech my preps too thin.

Just me and the cats most likely. My family lives too far away so unless SHTF slowly or with some warning, just me and the cats.

We have 4 now. I’d say 10 would be about all I would want to be responsible for. The one thing I am sure of is no one knows how, what or when something will happen. Each different scenario would have different circumstances and require us to re evaluate everything we have planned. Always be flexible with your plans.

Currently, just me and the wife. However, we have 3 unused bedrooms too (one is a craft room/home office, another will be a game room/home office, and the other is a guest bedroom). But, we also have a den that could easily accommodate a king bed, and the shop space, which could easily have a few beds.

It also would not be difficult to just pasture the horses, and convert 10 stalls into individual rooms (just add a wood floor, and a wood wall over the stall bars, and furniture).

We've got 4 bathrooms, so that helps. If converting the stalls though, I'd have to put in an outhouse out there (it's a long trip from there to the house)....

So, us (2) plus 2 in each bedroom (6), plus (2) in the den, and likely (4) in the shop....add that to (10) in the stables, and we're at a max of 24 we could house, and still have private space for. I think that's a pretty decent, solid number.

Of course, that assumes we don't get with the neighbor, and house some with her too. Her home is nearly as big, and just her...so she'd likely welcome some defenders/providers too.

In any case, pretty sure the ranch could easily support a couple dozen people, as long as well all worked at it (and dedicated a pasture to gardening, in addition to the garden).

There are at least 5 close friends and relatives who may come to us, if things went south...so we have room to grow as time goes on. Evaluating potential newcomers is really one of the scariest problems of a post SHTF world.

Each different scenario would have different circumstances and require us to re evaluate everything we have planned. Always be flexible with your plans.

Yep, this much is true. It's one of the biggest issues I have with the Doomsday Preppers TV show.... This rule should be hammered home but instead, they try to show a prepper as locked on ONE specific event. I get the entertainment angle of that, but at the same time, it's a real disservice to actual prepping.

Latest posts

Back