If sales tax is enforced for out of state sales?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandx

Demi-God
Reaction score
What are you considering purchasing online now considering the interest in forcing out of state sales tax on the masses? How do you feel about it? Pros and cons and what will you do? Isn't it a matter of time till sales tax is applied to labor?

Taxation is theft.

That said, I'll certainly take pains to avoid paying any taxes unnecessarily, only what I have to.

Once they start taxing all online sales I'll quit shopping online. Many of the purchases that I make in-state are tax exempt anyway. Plus I live near a sales tax free state. It's a long drive but on large purchases the savings in the sales tax will more than pay for the fuel.

Taxation is theft.

That said, I'll certainly take pains to avoid paying any taxes unnecessarily, only what I have to.[/
I go to a lot of auctions, flea markets and yard sales. Trying to skip taxes but some things I need to order that I can't find around here.

I will spend more time at auctions, yard sales and flea markets, deal in cash. But somethings I cannot find locally such as mylar bags.

Once they start taxing all online sales I'll quit shopping online. Many of the purchases that I make in-state are tax exempt anyway. Plus I live near a sales tax free state. It's a long drive but on large purchases the savings in the sales tax will more than pay for the fuel.
I did not realize there were some states with no sales tax. I found these to be tax free, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. Alaska nd Delaware have some local taxes, but not state taxes and there were several where taxes were below 4% range. Indiana not one of them.

I believe the SCOTUS will strike it down, forcing a company to charge sales for another state is wrong on so many levels, this is forcing a company from another state to act as an agent it hold no permanent establishment and nexus. Say you have 50 different tax codes from in each state, you have a small company or ma and pop store, they going to have a 2,550 tax codes to keep track of? I think not, this will kill many businesses, you cant force a nexus on these smaller internet companies thats out of state and have them survive, many of these ma and pop stores are selling online so they can keep the local shop operational in our communities.

I agree with Maverick here. That's a good point. However, there is a precedent, if you look at remote employees in other states. Granted, tax and payroll are different, but I can see the argument.

Still, even if not unconstitutional (which I agree it is), it should be phased in, not an immediate mandate...

but taxation is still theft.

The thing is Federal law requires the States to have a sales tax nexus only, if you remove the required nexus every citizen is screwed as will small businesses, we are no longer independent states of the union, that would mean the state government can require it's citizens to report anything purchased outside the state including fuel, it can also require companies in other states to turn over all the orders shipped to your address, removing the nexus broaden the powers of the states. The free flow of commerce have ended.

"Nexus determination is controlled by the U.S. Constitution under the Due Process Clause and the Commerce Clause. The Due Process Clause requires a definite link or minimum connection between the state and the person, property or transaction it seeks to tax. However, the Commerce Clause requires a higher level of connection. The Commerce Clause requires a substantial presence in a taxing state by the entity the state desires to tax."

But then again it looks like things can change. Things use to be so much easier, damn.

"Overview

On January 12, 2018, the United States Supreme Court agreed to hear the case of South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc., setting the stage for possible changes to the physical presence requirement for sales and use tax nexus. The Court’s decision likely will address whether the state can impose a sales tax collection and remittance obligation on sellers that do not have a physical presence in the state, effectively affirming or overturning the long-standing precedent established in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota.

[South Dakota v. Wayfair, 2017 S.D. 56, S.D. Supreme Ct. (9/13/17)]"

Also...
http://www.indianachamberblogs.com/much-at-stake-in-u-s-supreme-court-online-sales-tax-case/

Portland supports the Arts! Portland is awesome! Portland's city council is full of sophisticated elites who love to listen to violin music while they drink fine wine and wear tuxedos and glittery dressing gowns and stare at paintings they cant even begin to understand. Thanks, tax payers!

Coming up next... Radio Voice Tax. Who doesn't love to listen to a man or woman with a real, professional radio voice? Portland will be implementing a tax to hire 87 Radio Voice teachers, Yay!

With it's combined area population of 2.5 million, the new Radio Voice Tax of $35 per citizen/tax slave will generate $87.5 MILLION per year, to pay the salaries of the new teachers.

In other news, it costs Portland a cool million dollars to hire a freaking 5th grade art teacher. wtf.

Latest posts

Back