Hurricane Irma

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is looking VERY VERY BAD for the entire Florida peninsula:

PuLEZGr.gif

I don't have to bet exactly where it hits & be right. I just need to get out of the way of anywhere it could hit. I don't mind wasting some effort moving if it saves my life.

How to evacuate Miami? Easy, but it takes time. You've got at least 6 lanes of highways going north or west-then-north. Miami is maybe 2 million people. Let's say 4 people per car, so 500k cars. Let's say 1 car every second going 60 mph. So in 1 minute, you have 60 cars per lane, with 6 lanes that's 360 cars with 4 people, or almost 1500 people. In 1 hour you have 86k people, in 24 hours you get 2 million people out.

Yup, that is optimal traffic. But that also assumes every car goes on these 6 lanes. You have dozens of smaller roads. So it is not a reasonable exit rate. And some people will go by bus (50 people in each?). Use school buses, at least they won't flood. Others leave by plane or boat. But reality is that maybe 1/4th of people won't leave. It is not an unreasonable evacuation. And spread it over 3-5 days and it's actually easy.

Doc,that looks extremly bad.
what I heard on the news here,building codes are not that good for Fla,buildings are not planned for anything that strong and violent,so it's going to be nasty.

As I said earlier I fear a repeat of the total Snafu evac that happened during Andrew, only goona take a few vehicles to break down, run out of fuel or collide and Bohica.

I would think the newer construction would be well built, but the older the building lesser codes.. When Ike hit Galveston county in 08, their building codes were very strict to rebuild. . . Most everyone lost their cabins at Rollover since they got a direct hit. . Can only assume FL would be the same since they continuously get hit.

As I said earlier I fear a repeat of the total Snafu evac that happened during Andrew, only goona take a few vehicles to break down, run out of fuel or collide and Bohica.

Current traffic conditions on Google Maps.

Orange is slow and go. Red is stop and go. You're looking at a 250 mile long traffic jam to get out of South Florida and away from the East Coast. Hotels are booked solid all the way to Birmingham, Alabama.
HFJiUsA.png

Current traffic conditions on Google Maps.

Orange is slow and go. Red is stop and go. You're looking at a 250 mile long traffic jam to get out of South Florida and away from the East Coast. Hotels are booked solid all the way to Birmingham, Alabama.
HFJiUsA.png

One of the things about Andrew I remember is hundreds of Floridians out of fuel food and water in Nowheresville Georgia and the locals have having any fuel they could sell.

I've been on the phone with my cousin, she going to ride it out at her two floor home with her adult daughter, she at Fort Pierce 1/2 mile from the coast. I tried to tell her, at the end of the phone call I said so you going to kill your daughter and cats ended up calling her a g'damn fool, she hung up on me :-/

I just saw a picture of I-95. 18 lanes all northbound (southbound lanes have been turned into northbound?). Packed.

A friend lives up near Orlando (I had forgotten she had moved there). Driving from up there earlier today was a parking lot.

I do agree with the statement that it is now too late to be driving. I have no idea what to advise. Can't get away from it. Nowhere safe to ride it out. Get away from the water & in a stone structure. Have supplies. Pray. And write your SSN on your arms. Oh, call family & say your last goodbyes.

Anyone left in Miami are massive idiots.

IRMA is back up to a Cat 5 Hurricane and to make matters worse JOSE is now expected to also become a Cat 5 and is following a similar route to Irma, and the Met office is detecting the beginnings of another storm off the Coast of Africa.

Mav,sorry for your cousin :(
but with some you can't talk reason,for those who opted to stay;as TF said: pray,SSN on your arm,call to say last goodbyes,anything that big,you have no choices left

Predicted position of Irma tomorrow morning 11 am Eastern. If Irma is still a Cat 5, there might not be a Key West anymore by tomorrow night...

4ZN4WVc.png

Latest posts

Back