Hurricane Florence

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily, Helene seems to be an ocean only hurricane. Florence is going to wreak havoc on the Carolinas though. I don't think we'll see Isaac our way, at least I hope not, but if it does, going over the islands to get to us will weaken it a lot.

So, not too worried right now here in Central FL. But still keeping a wary eye on things. Not sure if it was the storms or what, but folks sure were gassing up this morning. I had to go to 3 different stations to avoid a damn line. I've got a diesel, so only a couple pumps I can use usually. (but with 6 gas stations within a mile of the house, I have options). (nice thing about being off the interstate, between two different exits)....

I guess we will find out in the aftermath of Florence but what I'm seeing (from the west coast) is that the Government and NGO agencies are far more organized than I have seen in the past, Virginia, North and South Carolina seem to have their shit together, FEMA, Red Cross and the National Guard already have the staging areas setup, Shelters are already setup and stocked, water rescue teams from the West coast already arrived at the staging areas. The whole Emergency Management team from the States seems well oiled, it was reported from here that some units from the local power companies arrive this morning in Georgia. Even traffic has been set more that twenty hours ago prepared for traffic reversal.

Even Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart are diverting orders from the West making sure the East coast in the effected areas are taken care of first, good news so far is I seen very little price gouging on Amazon regarding batteries and flashlight like what happen during last hurricane

Hopefully this appearance of being organized isn't just on the surface? Any one close to the areas seeing hearing the same thing?

I guess we will find out in the aftermath of Florence but what I'm seeing (from the west coast) is that the Government and NGO agencies are far more organized than I have seen in the past, Virginia, North and South Carolina seem to have their shit together, FEMA, Red Cross and the National Guard already have the staging areas setup, Shelters are already setup and stocked, water rescue teams from the West coast already arrived at the staging areas. The whole Emergency Management team from the States seems well oiled, it was reported from here that some units from the local power companies arrive this morning in Georgia. Even traffic has been set more that twenty hours ago prepared for traffic reversal.

Even Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart are diverting orders from the West making sure the East coast in the effected areas are taken care of first, good news so far is I seen very little price gouging on Amazon regarding batteries and flashlight like what happen during last hurricane

Hopefully this appearance of being organized isn't just on the surface? Any one close to the

Perhaps Harvey is still fresh on the governments mind? I don't think they liked the thought of people helping people as much as they did. I remember when Katrina came in (that was a complete disaster) the next hurricane that came after that (Gustav) I remember Bobby Jindal (Louisiana governor after Katrina) he had his stuff together. He was extremely organized and didn't pull any punches when he told people to get out, or you just might die waiting for help.

Maybe the government has heard the forecast and showing they are serious about preparing ...which is what they should do.

Many times the media focuses on the nutcases that want to go surfing before the storm comes in, or the people that host hurricane parties. If media is focusing on preparedness...good!

Speaking of water. I have stocked up on powder Tang and Lemonade just in case I have to prep my water and it have a funky taste.

I also have stocked many tea bags too.

My son and mom have problems with funky tasting water.

Plus it also has vitamin c added.

Speaking of water. I have stocked up on powder Tang and Lemonade just in case I have to prep my water and it have a funky taste.

I also have stocked many tea bags too.

Plus it also has vitamin c added.

I like tang and stock up on that for my food preps

Try Mio and similar water enhancers too.

Like I said, this morning, they were already crowding the gas pumps, and we're not even anywhere close to where this should hit. Even during Irma last year, folks were more serious minded, and it paid off. This weekend, I organized my window boards, so they'd be ready to bolt up quick if we need to.

Two words: Masonry Screws. These things were like MAGIC with a concrete block house. They are blue, and sturdy as hell, and never in my life have I had such an easy time screwing wood boards into concrete.

I was down by Miami this morning. The whole ride down I saw dozens of utility trucks and lots of national guard equipment heading north. It really does seem like the response is better organized than other storms past. The new truck I picked up is diesel, and luckily has a 55gal auxiliary fuel tank in it. I didn’t see any lines at stations, but am only up as far as Daytona for the night. I’m hoping I won’t see any for the rest of the trip tomorrow, but the diesel can make the trip on full tanks easily. The car will have to fill up once during the 500more miles to go but I don’t expect any problems. I’m hoping the worst will be an additional hour due to some heavier traffic. I feel for anyone living near the coast. My brother in laws father has a home on the outer banks but at least he was smart enough to build it on 8’ stilts. He had the water come up just to the bottom of the place during a storm several years ago, but avoided any major damage to it. Of course he lost vehicles and utilities, but did have a home to come back to after everything settled. If I lived near the water anywhere in the SE I would consider 12’ posts....

Even with fuel you can carry cans with you, but driving in heavy rains with flooding potential, downed power lines and trees, etc. just dosent make good sense.

The latest map shows some change in the direction of the hurricane.

Attachments

• 451F232F-9BDA-443C-9268-C496ABCB21E7.jpeg
    451F232F-9BDA-443C-9268-C496ABCB21E7.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back