Hi there! I'm The Boourns

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boourns

Reaction score
Looks like they throw us right into the community so hopefully I'm not boo'd outta here before I ever get started! I'm the Boourns. I live in Seattle with my wife, baby daughter, and 3 dogs. I've found myself slowly accumulating what I consider valuable items for any doomsday scenario but know I have a long, long, long way to go before I'm anywhere near a place of comfort with my prepping (does one ever get comfortable with their level of preparation?).

I'm most interested in better understanding topics like solar panel charge kits, solar panel installation, and other forms of alternative off-the-grid energy sources. I'm also interested in learning more about trapping, animal tracking, root cellars, canning, and vegetable growing in confined spaces (vertical gardens, etc.).

I don't know that I bring any specialty to the community at this time but am eager to learn more from experts and enthusiasts alike.

Welcome to the forum. There are a fair few members here that know about the solar thing. I'm definitely not one of them.

Looks like they throw us right into the community so hopefully I'm not boo'd outta here before I ever get started! I'm the Boourns. I live in Seattle with my wife, baby daughter, and 3 dogs. I've found myself slowly accumulating what I consider valuable items for any doomsday scenario but know I have a long, long, long way to go before I'm anywhere near a place of comfort with my prepping (does one ever get comfortable with their level of preparation?).

I'm most interested in better understanding topics like solar panel charge kits, solar panel installation, and other forms of alternative off-the-grid energy sources. I'm also interested in learning more about trapping, animal tracking, root cellars, canning, and vegetable growing in confined spaces (vertical gardens, etc.).

I don't know that I bring any specialty to the community at this time but am eager to learn more from experts and enthusiasts alike.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome, I got a book of root cellaring from amazon that was pretty good. currently live in a city so i don't have a cellar yet. Enjoy the forums.

Welcome!
Solar is right up my alley. I have a 90 Watt array and 2 12v batteries and run small appliances and lights off of.
There is a whole section on Solar under the heading
Equipment, Tactical Gear & Bug Out Pack

you will see and entire section on Solar. Read thru it. I have pics of my system on there. Now I did some research for you. Your area gets 3 1/2 hrs of sunlight. What that means is that solar is optimum for that amount of time where you can generate the most from your solar panels. Depending on your needs, with that amount of sunlight I would think a 175 watt system would be considered small. Depends what your needs are.
If you get into solar DO get a TRUE RMS Mulitmeter of which Fluke is the best, and they are pricy. There are other true rms multimeters that are more reasonable.
As far as a specialty, you probable have one or two but just don't know it. Stick with us, the one thing we do have here is a lot of Grey Matter and we exercise that here a lot.
Again Welcome !

I've been in your area before. Beautiful country there. 12 point beer too. Spent a weekend near Auburn. I live in Oklahoma and it sounds like you and I can bounce a lot of ideas off each other. I am looking into wind and solar power systems but building from scratch. Also global bucket gardens and aquaponics. Been researching all winter and plan on getting going as soon a weather permits since I haven't built a greenhouse big enough yet.

I've been in your area before. Beautiful country there. 12 point beer too. Spent a weekend near Auburn. I live in Oklahoma and it sounds like you and I can bounce a lot of ideas off each other. I am looking into wind and solar power systems but building from scratch. Also global bucket gardens and aquaponics. Been researching all winter and plan on getting going as soon a weather permits since I haven't built a greenhouse big enough yet.

Solar is definitely the way to go especially since you can go off grid and use a battery system, the initial cost is quite a bit but with federal and state tax incentives you can get an entire system for a reasonable price.

G'day from Down Under. I have a few friends who grow veggies in vertical poly pipes that run up their walls and fences as they also have limited space. They get good crops of herbs, strawberries, radish etc ( small rooted veggies ) and very easy to water. I'll try to find a photo and post it, but I'm not real computer smart, so will see how I go.

Latest posts

Back