Hate deadbeat horse boarders...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better have infrastructure in place (barn/stable/land/fencing) and the resources along with mobility to transport (grain/hay/horse) and of course money otherwise one is in trouble before they get the horse.
In addition to all the above, one of the most important things that a person needs to know about keeping a horse is how to take care of their feet. I don't mean shoeing, but how to trim their hooves. And what to look for in hoof care, i.e. founder, cracks, splits or lamness. Any horse owner should know basic vet care too. Like how and when to worm the horse, how to give a shot, proper fly control etc. Even something as simple as picking out the right salt/mineral block. What minerals are lacking in the pasture in your area?
Anyone can buy a horse and throw it out on pasture, but that horse deserves to be cared for properly. Everytime I drive down south for supplies I pass by a small field, maybe 10 acres in size, with several horses. In this "pasture" there isn't a tree or shelter for the horses to get out of the sun. There isn't a blade of grass either, just dust and dirt. Last time I drove by this place it was 103 degs and the horses were all trying to stand in the shade of a single power pole.

then you will just have to take the good with the bad,,,as for myself I don't need a bunch of strangers hanging around no matter how much they are spending

PEOPLE ARE MORE TROUBLE THAN ANY ANIMAL
I don't like people at my place, I get real suspicious, wonder what the heck they are here for. Have my gun handy too. If you come down my drive and I don't know you then we got a problem. I don't even like it if a vehicle drives by slow. I check them out. give them the old stare down. I SEE YOU MISTER

In addition to all the above, one of the most important things that a person needs to know about keeping a horse is how to take care of their feet. I don't mean shoeing, but how to trim their hooves. And what to look for in hoof care, i.e. founder, cracks, splits or lamness. Any horse owner should know basic vet care too. Like how and when to worm the horse, how to give a shot, proper fly control etc. Even something as simple as picking out the right salt/mineral block. What minerals are lacking in the pasture in your area?
Anyone can buy a horse and throw it out on pasture, but that horse deserves to be cared for properly. Everytime I drive down south for supplies I pass by a small field, maybe 10 acres in size, with several horses. In this "pasture" there isn't a tree or shelter for the horses to get out of the sun. There isn't a blade of grass either, just dust and dirt. Last time I drove by this place it was 103 degs and the horses were all trying to stand in the shade of a single power pole.
That kind of crap ticks me off.

Hence why people board with us. We have all that, they just have to pay a monthly fee (which is actually pretty cheap). There's enough places that deliver hay though. (though I'd have not having a truck!)

Most overlooked aspect. Water.

You really want a spigot at each stall (or at least between each), or else you are creating a LOT of work for yourself. Once we started using more stalls, I ran water lines to those that didn't have it.
I remember my sister forgot to turn off the spigot to the trough and flooded the field, I do mean the field. Oh, the work. Just the thought of cleaning the trough.

I remember my sister forgot to turn off the spigot to the trough and flooded the field, I do mean the field. Oh, the work. Just the thought of cleaning the trough.

Done that a few times, hehe

Latest posts

Back