Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mini-rose plant has two beautiful roses but they look different from each other.
View attachment 10310

My tomatoes are starting to have flowers and my cucumber plants are growing. I can't have much of a garden but I am excited about what I do have.

Hey Rose pedals are eatable

As a kid, I still remember seeing all the cherry tree's in bloom in a Tokyo park, absolutely stunning.
The Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool is lined with cherry trees. Pretty spectacular when they are in bloom.
CherryBlossomPath_forWeb.jpg

There is something to be said for beauty being able to feed the soul. I’m still sticking to edibles in my yard though with how the economic outlook is right now.
The rose plant was a gift but I have wanted one for a long time. I love roses, especially miniature ones. The tiny ones are so cute. I am more partial to food producing plants as well in general. Work should produce food or other necessities first.

I though I was getting a late start on my tomato and pepper seeds.

Thanks to the rain and below average temperature, I'm repotting some of the larger plants.

I'm also anxious to be planting to get out into the heat and sunshine.

Robin when it is cool like this I deliberately delay planting my seeds for these crops. I have planted tomatoes and peppers as late as mid June and still harvested more fruit than I can use. You can stick them out early but those Cool temps will still prevent them from setting fruit. This is especially important at higher elevations.

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/529/

Peppers and eggplant are fussiest right around blossom time. They'll have a poor fruit set if temperatures at night are below 55 oF or above 75 oF while they're blossoming, and they'll also drop their blossoms if daytime temperatures are above 90° F. These temperatures will also delay maturing of the fruit that does manage to set. Eggplant and peppers can also become stunted during cool weather and then not grow well once warm weather returns. Rapid growth is necessary for quality fruit production

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_tomtemp.htm

The effect of temperature on flowering in tomatoes and peppers
It is well known that flowering, pollination, and fruit set of tomatoes and peppers can be adversely affected by temperature extremes. The effect of various temperatures during flowering and fruit set of peppers and tomatoes is shown in Tables 1 and 2.

Table 1: The effect of temperature during flowering and fruit set of tomato
Temperature

Effect on flowering, pollination, fruit set

Greater than 35° C (95° F)

Reduced fruit set

18.5 - 26.5° C (65-80° F)

Optimum for fruit set

Less than 13° C (55° F)

Misshapen or catfaced fruit may result

Less than 10° C (50° F)

Poor fruit set

Table 2: The effect of temperature during flowering and fruit set of pepper
Temperature

Effect on flowering, pollination, fruit set

Greater than 32° C (90° ) day temp.

Pollen sterility occurs, flowers may drop

16° C (61 ° F)

Optimum for flowering and fruit set

Less than 15.5° C (60° F) or greater than 24° C (75° F) night temp.

Poor fruit set

What you may not think about when you see blossoms and fruit developing, is that low temperatures experienced by the plant weeks before flower buds were visible, can also affect flowering and fruit set.

A tomato plant which experiences temperatures below 15.5° C (60° F) for extended periods of time will begin to flower profusely. These flowers may remain open on the plant for several weeks, without fruit being formed. Larger flowers and increased branching of clusters can show up as a result of low temperatures experienced by the plant weeks before flower buds are visible.

The rose plant was a gift but I have wanted one for a long time. I love roses, especially miniature ones. The tiny ones are so cute. I am more partial to food producing plants as well in general. Work should produce food or other necessities first.
We have wild roses all over the place up here. We have a friend that comes up to pick the red berry things (can't remember what they're called) off the rose plants and makes jelly. Right now the wild onions are coming up. They smell really good.

We have wild roses all over the place up here. We have a friend that comes up to pick the red berry things (can't remember what they're called) off the rose plants and makes jelly. Right now the wild onions are coming up. They smell really good.

Rose hips. Very high in vitamin c

I'm walking the garden today and noticed some shriveled up plants. Just a couple days ago they were fine. So I checked the moisture level in the soil with my finger. It seemed fine but I am barely able to keep up with watering it lately. When hunny replaced the well pump it went from a 60 to a 40 because his buddy said he didn't really need the bigger size. Well it screwed me because I can only run 1 sprinkler at a time now instead of 3. .. Huge difference. Everything has gotten a wooden mulch but some beds have been light. County stopped handing out mulch when we shut down for Covid 19 so since my goats waste a lot of their hay I drove the golf cart and trailor out to the pole barn to start getting the waste. Had to get hunny to come help me get out of the pasture though. I had goats in the golf cart and trailer. Got him to drive it out for me while I called them over to the main pasture. . . Yep, they are spoiled and want to hang around their momma. Anyway, I'm telling hunny about what I was seeing in the garden. He tells me that he sprayed around the garden and walkways with weed killer while I was sleeping after getting home from the overnight shift earlier in the weem. He may have accidently sprayed some of them. So I lost 2 pumpkins, 1 zucchini, a few different green beans and about half a row of corn. . . Well at least he was trying to help.

I'm walking the garden today and noticed some shriveled up plants. Just a couple days ago they were fine. So I checked the moisture level in the soil with my finger. It seemed fine but I am barely able to keep up with watering it lately. When hunny replaced the well pump it went from a 60 to a 40 because his buddy said he didn't really need the bigger size. Well it screwed me because I can only run 1 sprinkler at a time now instead of 3. .. Huge difference. Everything has gotten a wooden mulch but some beds have been light. County stopped handing out mulch when we shut down for Covid 19 so since my goats waste a lot of their hay I drove the golf cart and trailor out to the pole barn to start getting the waste. Had to get hunny to come help me get out of the pasture though. I had goats in the golf cart and trailer. Got him to drive it out for me while I called them over to the main pasture. . . Yep, they are spoiled and want to hang around their momma. Anyway, I'm telling hunny about what I was seeing in the garden. He tells me that he sprayed around the garden and walkways with weed killer while I was sleeping after getting home from the overnight shift earlier in the weem. He may have accidently sprayed some of them. So I lost 2 pumpkins, 1 zucchini, a few different green beans and about half a row of corn. . . Well at least he was trying to help.

It's sad to put in so much work and to lose them.

So sorry! Hang in there. One time at our old farm my husband spent all late winter/early spring clearing, fencing and planting grass in a 10 acre tract. Just when the pasture had germinated and greened up we come home one day to find a local spraying company in the pasture spraying weed killer on all 10 acres. The local company had sent a young driver unfamiliar with the area and he had sprayed the wrong farm thinking he was killing the grass in preparation to plant a crop. I honestly thought my husband would kill the driver. The company that owned the sprayer had to plant that field 3 times to get it green again and avoid the law suit. I remember the feeling sitting there everyday and watching 10 acres of work shrivel and turn brown and die. After that all our gates were padlocked 24/7

DD I think I may have cried over that after I went off on the young driver. . . Honestly I am ok, even though it is depressing. Hunny was trying to help me out which he normally doesn't have anything to do with the garden. At least there is time to replant so no biggy. I picked a couple banana peppers yesterday to use in dinner of tuna cakes last night. They were small but my plants are too right now. Nice to pick something to use that was not lettuce for a change. I'm getting really excited about tomatoes. Have some marble sized cherries right now, but still have always to go. . . Not even trying to turn yet. Those will be a nice addition to my salads.

Latest posts

Back